Ironman
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 231/1101
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 46/140
Pre-race routine:

We woke up around 4:30. The sipped two cups of coffee and ate a combination of oatmeal, almonds and cranberries. I finished that off with a container of yogurht we bought the night before at the overpriced market. I took a quick shower to loosen up the muscles and got ready for the race. We hopped in the car and drove to the event parking. From there we were shuttled to T1 about 5 miles away. Once on sight I loaded up my fuel and water on the bike, got body marked, reapplied sunscreen, kissed Heidi good luck and prepared to race.
Event warmup:

Not alot, just stretched out my arms and did some strides up and down the beach to get the heart rate going.
Swim
  • 38m 55s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start line was set up at a 45 degree angle from the shore, allowing for either a wade start or a deep water start. I chose to line up towards the left side about mid-pack. I waded into the water up to my hips, I didn't want to waste any energy treading water in case the start was late. This was the biggest start I'd ever been in, there were no waves, just one massive start so I was a little nervous. When the gun went off I was able to dive right in and start strocking since I lined up a little back of the crowd. Pretty quickly, I caught the crowd and as I expected, the start was rather rough, athletes seemed to come from everywhere. It was a never ending onslaught of arms and legs. Thankfully, I was able to keep my wits about me. I mananged to always find a set of feet to draft off of. The crowd thinned out a little, but I was never alone. Somehow my watch got stopped at around 18 minutes. So when I exited the water I had no idea what my time was. I was expecting around 42 minutes since I barely swam at all in training for this race. Imagine my surprise when the announcer mentioned 38 minutes as I crossed the mat. That put me in a good mood.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a heck of a lot more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

Once I crossed the mat on the beach, I ran to the makeshift showers, rinsed my feet, then an uphill run from the beach to the bikes. Once I got to my bike I stuffed my goggles and cap in the bag, grabbed my bike and was off. Unfourtunately, the lanes were rather narrow leading to the exit and there was a traffic jam getting out. Once I reached the mount line I got on and road off. There was a very narrow line marked off leading to the Queen K highway, so it was tough to get going with all the people. But once I got to the highway, I got my feet in the shoes and it was free sailing.

Not much I could do, it was a very crowded transition. Maybe swim faster?
Bike
  • 2h 42m 22s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm a little disappointed in my bike. I was hoping to break 21 MPH. I felt strong on the uphills, flats and downhills. I did get out of the saddle a few more times than I liked but overall I stayed aero the whole time. My change in shift and the recent travel have played havok with my training but I was still hoping to do better. It was pretty cool on the climb to Hawi when I saw the leader, Chris Leito, smoking down the hill. That guy was flying! There was nobody even close to him.

Try to train more on hills at speed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

T2 was pretty normal for me. Other than the lanes being very narrow and some guy racking in the wrong spot next to me, it went ok. If I didn't put on socks things would ahve been about 40 seconds faster.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 57m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

When I came out of T2 and saw the clock reading 3:25 and change, I had high hopes of breaking 5 hours. I mean after all, the run is my strongest event, I regularly clock 1:25 half marathons no problem. I started along the golf course in a great mood. I was hitting about a 7:15 to a 7:30 mile with no problem. I even chatted with a couple of people I played tag with on the bike as I passed them. I was feeling good! Then, around 4.5 miles, I got the overwhelming urge to pee. I couldn't take it any longer by mile 5 so I stopped. Biggest mistake of the day! As soon as I quit running my body decided to rebel. My insides started to churn and my legs felt like lead. I was cramping everywhere! I tried to start running again but nothing seemed to cooperate. The only thing I seemed to be able to manage was a run/shuffle/walk! I felt horrible! All of the sudden the heat of the day was unbearable. The ups and downs of the golf course were torture. I won't even try to describe the hell of miles 9 thru 11, let's just say that if the run director had been there......nevermind. Anyways, I was never so happy to see a finish line. I completely underestimated the run and I was way to cocky about it. Funny how these races have a way of humbling you.

Start out slower and with more respect.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my underestimation of the run.

Last updated: 2009-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:55 | 1931 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 84/140
Overall: 555/1101
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise trianglular loop in Hapuna Beach State Park.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:42:22 | 56 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/140
Overall: 270/1101
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty much the middle of the Kona Ironman course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:57:08 | 13.1 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/140
Overall: 231/1101
Performance: Bad
Course: The most horrid, hot and miserable course you can imagine.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

2009-06-02 3:25 AM
in reply to: #2188351

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii

Why didn't you just pee on yourself...then you wouldn't have had to stop?  You could have just told everyone that you got bit by a jelly!   Seriously though, I'm sorry it was such a horrible run but I think you did an AMAZING job in spite of that!  Aaaaand, you weren't that far off from the 5 hour mark and still kicked a$$ in the grand scheme of things!!!!  YOU are a stud!!

Edited by Happychick 2009-06-02 3:26 AM
2009-06-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2188484

User image

Veteran
Happychick - 2009-06-02 11:25 AM

Why didn't you just pee on yourself...then you wouldn't have had to stop?  You could have just told everyone that you got bit by a jelly!  

LOL The thought crossed my mind, believe me
2009-06-03 3:26 PM

User image

Congratulation on a completing that challenging course. It's hard to believe how hot the sun is on that course.

I may have some pictures that you could be in at the finish or coming out of t1.

If you let me know your race # I'll check. Were you wearing a BT uniform?

Congratulations.

Were headed to Hapuna in a couple of minutes.

2009-06-04 2:44 PM

User image

Hey great job out there!  Are you going to do northshore this weekend?
2009-06-05 1:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I enjoyed your report. Yeah, the run was brutal. I had the same experience (though a bit slower) coming off my bike feeling like I had nailed my day to that point. We better not complain too much or next year we'll get 30 mph crosswinds.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 Hawaii Rss Feed