General Discussion Race Reports! » Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ludlow Boys & Girls Club Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ludlow, Massachusetts
United States
Firm Racing
Total Time = 2h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

couldn't fall asleep till midnight. up at 4am. cheerios, emergenC drink mixed with OJ and teaspoon of electrolytes. Then water, 1/2 pb&j sandwich and iced coffee at 6:30am. I felt nauseated all morning. who knows why, probably lack of sleep. Also had a purple, painful banged up big toe and another huge blistery toe on the same foot as a direct result of "too much fun" at the Dave Mathews concert friday.... (oops). I taped it up pretty good hoping it would last through the swim.
Event warmup:

This was just an "exercise" race for me. I have never run 4miles in a race before and only ever done it in training about 4 times (and none recently!) Anyhow, did about 5 minutes swimming before start time.
Swim
  • 16h 16m
  • 880 yards
  • 1h 50m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim for me! I made myself hangback a bit and avoid the human blender activity, but I feel like I spent more time trying to pass people that I could have avoided if I started more aggressively. I watched a video on Tarzan Swimming, maybe I will try some of that next time. I hate the first 200m getting kicked in the face and sucking in half the lake! After that it was smooth sailing and great bilateral breathing. But I certainly didn't push myself- was worried about the impending 4 mile run....
What would you do differently?:

more aggressive start and a longer warmup swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

I love my suit- it slips off so easy! Had to rip off some of the bandage from my toe as it didn't stay through the swim. No idea what i was doing in transition for FOUR minutes though! I was talking to some lady for a bit and making a joke, but even though i was not in "race mode" today, 4 minutes is too long! lol.

I did not run the whole way from the swim to the transition area, I think next race I will really focus on cutting down my transition times.
Bike
  • 49h 06m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.29 mile/hr
Comments:

went well, considering my general out-of-shapeness! Except one part where a cop at an intersection turned his back to me and totally forgot to tell us where to go. I know me and at least one other guy started to head up the wrong street before they started yelling at us. grrrr. Sometimes I hate being such a BOP rider! The hills were not too killer, and i rocked on the downhill parts :)

grow an extra set of thighs. bike bike bike bike bike and maybe bike some more :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

again, no clue what I was doing for almost 3 minutes. this time i recall talking to some lady who was missing her relay bike team member- she thought maybe he fell- i told her i didn't see anyone fallen. i drank a bunch of water. I had to re-lace my shoes to compensate for the crooked bandaged up toes.

maybe not be so chatty? :)
Run
  • 48h 16m
  • 4 miles
  • 12h 04m  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 4mile run in a race and only my 3rd time running in my new orthotics. feet felt good even with the banged up toes (stopped once to re-lace again). Wow i felt like i was running slow. everyone and their mother passed me. i laughed and smiled and people were nice as I plodded along. I usually run a 12min mile pace for my 3mile races, so i tried to go slower to save effort for the 4th mile- turns out i didn't need to. I wish i had gone a TAD faster though and had a finish time UNDER 2:00hrs, lol

I will say this, as a slower triathlete and back of the pack runner, it TOTALLY sucks to see people packed up and heading back to their cars to go home when you're still on the course. What sucks even more is when they don't have the decency to get off the sidewalk or at least make an effort to get out of your way. The last half mile I was stuck dodging atheletes and all their gear as they meandered back to the cars, most not even acknowledging me. Oh well, maybe this is incentive to do better next time.
Post race
Warm down:

omg i was starving and I think i ate everything in sight! I was so happy they still had food (the last race ran out by the time i finished). I ate bananas, watermelon, danishes, pretzels, gatorade (there were also cinnamon buns, granola bars and fruit cups!) Three Cheers to the FIRM Racing team for the food, quantity and quality!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My 27lb steel road bike? My mangled toes? My nauseated stomach?
(ok fine, it was probably just me not being in great shape yet!)

Last updated: 2009-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
16:16:00 | 880 yards | 1h 50m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: full wetsuit, 2XU, love it.
Course: out and back, lined with bouys which made sighting super easy. plus i knew I was good if I could see the white and red caps from the earlier waves coming at me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
49:06:00 | 14 miles | 0.29 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: rolling hills, pretty decent. rough road on the first mile and had to swerve around some annoying traffic. really liked that every mile was marked on the bike with a sign.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
48:16:00 | 04 miles | 12h 04m  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 4 miles, flat, through town, along sidewalks and some big streets. one of the least scenic runs I've done.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes