General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-02 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Thought I'd get this going w/ it being less than two weeks away.  It's my first time doing this event and my first tri of the season.  I wanted to do it last fall, but was closed by the time I registered.  So I am excited.  I went for a swim last weekend in Dennis Port, the water wasnt too bad.  Warmer than I thought, even w/o the wet suit.  Still going to wear it though.

Any thoughts from those that have done this before?  Is the racking preassigned or a free for all?  I know parking is limited and I plan on registering on Friday so I can drive the course and get a lay of the land.  Is it a water start or beach start?  Mass start or in waves?  Im assuming a sandy beach exit and should have a water bottle for feet.  Anything else I should know?

2009-06-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2189193

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: RE: Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
ratherbesnowboarding - 2009-06-02 11:54 AM

Thought I'd get this going w/ it being less than two weeks away.  It's my first time doing this event and my first tri of the season.  I wanted to do it last fall, but was closed by the time I registered.  So I am excited.  I went for a swim last weekend in Dennis Port, the water wasnt too bad.  Warmer than I thought, even w/o the wet suit.  Still going to wear it though.

Any thoughts from those that have done this before?  Is the racking preassigned or a free for all?  I know parking is limited and I plan on registering on Friday so I can drive the course and get a lay of the land.  Is it a water start or beach start?  Mass start or in waves?  Im assuming a sandy beach exit and should have a water bottle for feet.  Anything else I should know?

Hey man.  I'll be there.the racking is preassigned, the start is a water start but just wading in the water (no treading), waves by age group (men and women go off together), it's a really nice sandy exit but they have kiddie pools of water to run through as you get to transition.  The bike course is a slight uphill the first mile, downhill or flat the next 7, uphill for one, and then downhill for the last bit.  It's a very easy bike course.  The run is uphill for the first mile or so, flat around a neighborhood for the next 2, and then mostly downhill for the last 1.5.  The last 50 yards of the run is in the sand on the beach.  That's a nice leg burner.  I'll be registering Friday too if anyone wants to get an organized practice swim or something.  They usually have the bouy's set up at that time.

2009-06-02 6:45 PM

Not much I can add to what was just posted. It said it all! It is a great race.  I think I remember on one part of the bike course you are forced into a single lane, but other than that it is a fairly fast course. It being the Cape, I know they have had to shorten the swim a couple times due to high chop.

Not really a running swim start, but not a deep water start either. Yup - you kind of wade in and wait for that horn to go! I think Timeout is the only company I know that combines men and women in the same waves (by age) - at least they have in the past, but I could be wrong.

I keep needing to remember the run at 3.5 miles is a little longer than what I am used to for sprint distance triathlon.  Let the legs loosen after the bike and then go for it!

It is a fun race - over before you know it! Good luck!
2009-06-02 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2190520

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
b2003 - 2009-06-02 7:45 PM Not much I can add to what was just posted. It said it all! It is a great race.  I think I remember on one part of the bike course you are forced into a single lane, but other than that it is a fairly fast course. It being the Cape, I know they have had to shorten the swim a couple times due to high chop.

Not really a running swim start, but not a deep water start either. Yup - you kind of wade in and wait for that horn to go! I think Timeout is the only company I know that combines men and women in the same waves (by age) - at least they have in the past, but I could be wrong.

I keep needing to remember the run at 3.5 miles is a little longer than what I am used to for sprint distance triathlon.  Let the legs loosen after the bike and then go for it!

It is a fun race - over before you know it! Good luck!

I recently rode/ran the course and my Garmin said the bike was 10.6 and the run was 3.7 (I may have gone too far in the sand) but I do think they are both a little long.  As b2003 said they do cut it down to one lane at the end of the last 1.5 up hill before you turn right onto the last mile or so of downhill.  It can get a bit crowded but it only feels that way because it's a sprint.  It's only for about 200 yards maybe.  It can be frustrating though.

Last year they definitely did combine men and women by age group but everyone was very cool.  There is plenty of room to spread out if you want to.  There are a lot of people wading to start, a few a little deeper trying to get ahead of everyone, and then a bunch on the beach just trying to be comfy so whatever your skill level there is plenty of room to be comfortable for your race.

The best part of the race is the turn into the sand at the end.  There are a ton of people lining the course there and everyone is screaming - it's really great. 
2009-06-03 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Great - thanks for the info.  Really looking forward to the race.  Just have to keep the jitters down and the confidence up.

Personally, I like pre assigned racking.  Less chance of a space hog, or someone trying to squeeze in.  I'll still arrive earlier than I need to.  The finish sounds great, a leg burner on the sand but the crowd pushing you on.  Thanks for the heads up w/ the kiddie pool too.

The 15 day Accuweather forecast is calling for sun shine with highs in the upper 60's.
2009-06-05 10:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-08 9:35 PM

Hi,

This is my first race.

Any thoughts on breakfast?

Should I go with the Dunkin Turbo and then hit the water?

Thanks,

The Dude
2009-06-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2203952

Master
thedudewillrun - 2009-06-08 10:35 PM Hi,

This is my first race.

Thanks,

The Dude

Be careful, coffee is a diuretic .  

I actually start the night before: (All day really, I'm very conscious of what I have for lunch too)
before 5pm, I will have a light, easily digestible meal.  (chicken or fish)
Maybe something, like a granola bar, around 8pm if I feel hungry if water and choc milk just isnt doing it.

That morning - up at 4:30.  two hard boiled eggs and a cup of coffee (w/ less cream than I normally do) and water
On the way, I will have my breakfast smoothie and water.
During pre race, 1/2 hour before start.  a cliff bar and water.

On the bike, I'll suck down a gel or two and hydrate

Basically, my plan is to get 'everything through' before the race starts and minimize my trips to the porta john.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2009-06-09 9:51 AM
2009-06-09 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2204784

Expert
Weymouth, MA
ratherbesnowboarding - 2009-06-09 10:48 AM
thedudewillrun - 2009-06-08 10:35 PM Hi,

This is my first race.

Thanks,

The Dude

Be careful, coffee is a diuretic .  

I actually start the night before: (All day really, I'm very conscious of what I have for lunch too)
before 5pm, I will have a light, easily digestible meal.  (chicken or fish)
Maybe something, like a granola bar, around 8pm if I feel hungry if water and choc milk just isnt doing it.

That morning - up at 4:30.  two hard boiled eggs and a cup of coffee (w/ less cream than I normally do) and water
On the way, I will have my breakfast smoothie and water.
During pre race, 1/2 hour before start.  a cliff bar and water.

On the bike, I'll suck down a gel or two and hydrate

Basically, my plan is to get 'everything through' before the race starts and minimize my trips to the porta john.

x2 on the "getting everything through". Coffee is also a poopuretic.
2009-06-10 9:15 PM

that is good advice.  no need for the extra bm.

thanks again, looking forward to this!

The Dude

2009-06-11 9:53 AM

Master
Well, we started the week with a forecast for partly sunny skies on Saturday.  Now, 30% chance for showers.

FridayJun 12 

T-Showers
T-Showers
High
69°F

Low
60°F
Precip: 70%
Showers and thundershowers likely in the morning with a shower or two possible during the afternoon. High 69F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Saturday13 

Few Showers
Few Showers
High
66°F

Low
57°F
Precip: 30%
details details
Few showers. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the upper 50s.
Sunday14 

Isolated T-Storms
Isolated T-Storms
High
68°F

Low
59°F
Precip: 30%
Partly cloudy with a stray thunderstorm. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 50s.
Last Updated Thursday, Jun 11, 10:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time  

edited to add Source:weather.com

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2009-06-11 9:55 AM

2009-06-11 3:24 PM

Veteran
Charlestown
boooooooo

i hate when the weather gods don't cooperate with my sunny riding days!
2009-06-11 8:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Kroner 2009-06-11 8:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyannis I Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed