General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think?
OptionResults
Best non-Ironman race in town3 Votes - [33.33%]
Really Good Race - All went well6 Votes - [66.67%]
Race went as expected0 Votes - [0%]
Still have to work out the kinks0 Votes - [0%]
Not a good experience0 Votes - [0%]

2009-06-02 12:36 PM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think?

OK, So my vote goes for one of the better non-Ironman races I've done!  I knew things were going to be different when I showed up and the Ironman-style finishing chute was set up!!  I loved the T-shirt design and thought the finishers medals were top notch as well!  I never really heard any athletes complaining throughout the day.

I was just curious if everyone had the same great experience I did....Let's hear it!!

Edited by IKENTRI 2009-06-02 12:38 PM

2009-06-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2189476

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think?
Loved it!!! What a great race.

Organized, well-marked courses, plenty of volunteers, energetic awards ceremony, cool finishers medal, plenty of food, energy drink, and BEER post-race, allowed time for a warm up swim, results were posted online within 30 minutes of the awards ceremony!

I thought the bike course was a little technical, but the fact that it went through a residential neighborhood with peeps out in their yard cheering more than made up for that!

Only a few things that need to be tweaked, IMO: a number of people were "told" (at packet pickup I guess?) that rack space in transition would be assigned. Which was not the case. Still curious about that one. Also, there was a minor glitch in those who had to "age-up" per USAT age rules... some were put in the AG they were in on race day, erroneously. They were told it would be fixed for the 'final' USAT rankings, but as of today it has not been fixed. And I thought they could have used a few more boyeys on the last swim section; I didn't see any for most of the last straight-away on the swim.

Oh and this is not unique to this race, but my "SMALL" technical t-shirt is more like an XL. I would love it if races would offer women's cuts or at least get a vendor that has more true sizes. Or let me sell the t-shirt back to them or something. They guys I was with who got Large shirts will be wearing my Small, if that tells you anything!

Overall, the BEST race I've done in the Kansas City area!!! For real! I will be back.

2009-06-02 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Awesome race. Had a blast. Few things that I would suggest:
More info on the web site, publish swim course on the site, measure it correctly to 1500m, worded description of all three courses, vertical profile for bike and run, include athletes that entered that we can view the list, give info on number and place of water stations on the run course ahead on the site.....
I would like to see the bike course a little less technical or a little more room for those turns as the cones made it a little narrow, when sprint peeps merged with oly, got a little tricky a few times.
These are only minor suggestions. I am sure that RD already knows about all of this. What a great event we just got. It was great being a part of it.
I loved being able to warm up in the water, the tents, the atmosphere was awesome, a lot of volunteers.....I can't say enough good. This is the race we have been looking for.
Thanks to everybody on the board of directors, RD, all the volunteers for putting together such a great event.
2009-06-04 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO
I thought it was a very well run race, overall.

Didn't appreciate the email coming out at 7pm the night before changing the wave start to a mass start, though I might have minded less if I'd seen it prior to 4 hours after the race was over....
2009-06-04 3:46 PM

I have to agree with all. This was a great race. Well organized, lots of helpful volunteers, including the one that was racing around to fix the broken bike rack so we could get transitions set up. Everyone was incredibly helpful.  Enjoyed the little ride through the neighborhood, but it did add a bit of a technical aspect to it. Can't complain though....had a blast! My only "complaint" is also about the shirt. Being a small female, the small men's shirt is giant! My husband will enjoy wearing the shirt! :-) Great job!
2009-06-06 5:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
I volunteered and had a great time, really enjoyed retrieving the swim bouys!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas City Triathlon - What'd you think? Rss Feed