Treasure Vally Family YMCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 50/150
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0600. Long, hot shower, coffee and a power gel. Nibbled on some whole wheat toast. Had everything laid out nite before, so I wasn't frantic.
Event warmup:

Great parking spot, got chip, went for a quick spin around N. end to stretch legs/back. Tiny adustment to seat rails. Did some light jogging and a couple 'surges' to burn off some adreneline. Got off feet and into shade to stretch back. No real 'nerves' (I think I'm starting to get over the bad pre-race jitters)
Run
  • 23h 55m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 7h 41m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was VERY easy, very loose, very 'within' myself. I was feeling pretty good with T1 in sight...then, OUCH!!!! WTF! My R calf felt like it had been stabbed. I didn't know if I twisted it, pulled, it, what? I eased up and nursed into T1 thinking I could work it out on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing-went according to plan
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Tried the 'shoes on bike' in practice. Couldn't do it. So i pulled my "NEW" tri shoes on (Thanks Yanti), and jogged across the timing mat. The mount area was bumpy, lumpy with different surfaces and I picked a bad spot to mount. Feet slipped on road, feet slipped on pedals. A 'helpful' (sacasim font) spectator commented "You picked a bad place to mount". YA THINK!!!

Practice the 'shoes on bike", pick better mount area. Slower is often faster.
Bike
  • 59h 02m
  • 20 miles
  • 0.34 mile/hr
Comments:

My computer kept pushing me to the 'magical' 20 mph/av, so I was pretty intent on hitting that goal. Bike position was good, but my wrists were struggling on the areo bars. I don't know if it is a position issue or bad wrists (surgery on both). Got much better towards the end. Overall, I was very happy with the bike leg. My calf never got any better.

T1 mount up should have been better. Fix position on bike to help wrists.
Transition 2
  • 43m
Comments:

missed my bike rack by a row, no big deal-I just ducked under the bar but I hate those mental errors.

More/better walk-throughs into transistion areas.
Run
  • 25h 17m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 8h 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It was really starting to warm up by now. MY CALF HURTS BAD! I got about a mile on it, just when i was starting to get my legs back from the bike, the pain set in. And it hurt. I basically shut it down and hobbled home with a tippy-toe, gallop to the finish. I gave up three (3) positions along the way which pissed me off, but I'm racing next weekend and I didn't want to hurt anything.

I have NEVER had issues with cramps, or calf issues, until now. I hope this thing heals. i don't want to deal with it all summer.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a new product called Athlete's Honey Milk. YUM! It was really substantial without tasting/feeling heavy in your mouth/gut. Srated icing the calf right away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf.

Event comments:

Traffic control in the busy interestion was a bit dicey. The long uphill at the start of the bike was brutal. Hurting my calf asisd, I just wanted to go out and have a good, steady workout and identify/fix any problems with bike and/or shoes. i did that!

Last updated: 2009-06-02 12:00 AM
Running
23:55:00 | 03.11 miles | 7h 41m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Good
Course: lumpy grass, dirt trails, gravel roads. Mostly and out and back with a steady climb out and rolling hills back. Footing had to be watched or an ankle could turn.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall:
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
59:02:00 | 20 miles | 0.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/21
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Up hill, then up some more, finished up with some hills. Then a ripping downhill. Out and back on Hill Rd which is kinda rolling. Course marshalls could have/should have done a better job with traffic but I'm not going to knock on volunteers. Couldn't do it without them.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 43:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
25:17:00 | 03.11 miles | 8h 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/21
Performance: Below average
Course: same as before lumpy grass, dusty trails and bumpy gravel roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No