United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 55s
Overall Rank = 279/389
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 28/29
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana and a granola bar and drank a liter of gatorade on the drive up. Got up way to early (left my house at 5:30 am for an 8:10 start, got there at 6:30).
Event warmup:

Some stretching.
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 525 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

4 per lane. 13 minute estimate for 500 yds was too low. All four of us in my lane estimated 13 minutes and we were all 12:xx for 525 + the time to exit the pool and get to the door where the timing pad was. I started last and passed the other three within 3 laps, but gassed myself doing it.
What would you do differently?:

Have a real time estimate instead of a rough guess, push to go first in the group since I knew I would go out fast but run out of gas.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Took my time and dried off. Figured being comfortable was more important in my first tri.

Run to the bike, skip drying off, not wear cotton socks (they suck when wet), run with bike (maybe, I think I'd want to use my mtn bike pedals/shoes if i'm going to run).
Bike
  • 39m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with my bike performance overall.

I need to get better had high speed cornering, I slowed down a lot for the two corners at the bottom of hills, costing myself some time in each lap. Maybe skip the biking gloves, that would help with T1 time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I was pretty winded so, I took a little time to drink some more gatorade and catch my breath.

Run to the exit. In my dazed and confused state it didn't occur to me that I could run after racking the bike.
Run
  • 35m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I think their measurements were off a bit, my garmin said the course was 3.2 miles.

I had some stomach issues for the first mile or so.

Train more! This was only the 2nd time I've run a full 5k. I also need to learn to drink while running. I could have pushed harder for the last 1/4 mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching, walked around for a while, had some chocolate milk, and got a massage. Yay free massages!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No sense of urgency during the transitions (this was somewhat planned as this was my first race), being seeded in a slower heat in the swim than I should have been, some stomach issues before the race and during the run. I need to track my diet more to understand what caused that (may have just been nerves).

Event comments:

I highly recommend this race to first time triathletes. The pool swim makes it much more lowkey and less stressful than an open water swim. The volunteers were all very helpful, the traffic controllers all cheering on the participants was nice. Only negative comment would be security around the transition area seemed somewhat lacking. Especially with the wave starts anybody could just go in and out of the transition area.

Last updated: 2009-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 525 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 297/389
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Centenial Pool indoor pool.s
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:20 | 12 miles | 18.31 mile/hr
Overall: 166/389
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps, some hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:25 | 03.11 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 327/389
Performance: Below average
Course: One lap, mix of pavement and sidewalk. Uphill for most of the course (gradual uphill for the first mile, fairly steep downhill in the 2nd, gradual uphill for the second mile).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-02 4:05 PM

Regular
Denver
Subject: Longmont Triathlon
This was my first triathlon.  Despite finishing essentially last in my age group (28/29, one guy dnf'ed), it was fun.  I highly recommend this triathlon to first timers.

Edited by BobJ123 2009-06-02 4:08 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longmont Triathlon Rss Feed