Total Body Fitness
55+F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 27s
Overall Rank = 420/441
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Drink sports drink. Check in. Pee. Set up transition. Pee. Drink sports drink. Wait around. Look at water. Pee. Drink sports drink. Check transition again. Look at sponsor booths. Pee. Drink sports drink.
Event warmup:

Sit in Jeep and try not to shiver too much. Did I mention it was cold?
Swim
  • 19m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was windy and cold, with 2' waves at least. The water was cold, but still felt warmer than the air. I had trouble sighting with the waves, and had to keep stopping to see the buoy on the first leg.

The second leg was a bit better, as we turned to the same direction as the waves.

The last leg was hard. Especially mentally. It seemed like it took forever to get to the shore. I kept having to adjust my direction as the waves would push me off course. It was cold and I was getting frustrated. Finally, I told myself to stop thinking about it and just count my strokes. I bet myself that I would be at the shore before I got to 100, and I was there before 40.
What would you do differently?:

Get a slightly larger wetsuit. Practice swimming in rough conditions. Become a stronger swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Actually, my suit was stuck on my legs, not my feet. Which I attribute to it being a little bit too small. The body glide on my lower calves and ankles really helped.

Also, I was taking my time, knowing I was just training, not racing. I walked from the shore to transition, which was at least 2 minutes. I ate a Clif Shot on the way.

They were allowing folks to ride bikes in transition, so I was on the bike as soon as it was off the rack.

Get a better-fitting wet suit and practice taking it off again and again.

Get bike shoes and learn how to put them on quickly, rather than running shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 58s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I think my bike split time would have placed me higher in my group because my time in T1 was so slow.

I went conservatively on the bike because it was my second outing on my new bike and I didn't want to push myself. Instead, I wanted to take it easy and get the hang of riding it.

I especially wanted to practice eating on the bike. I had a Clif Shot while in transition. At the back end of the 1st out-and-back, I stopped, pulled out my Gu, caught my breath, ate my Gu and got my mind together a little before getting back on the bike.

About 20 minutes later, I pulled out another Gu and ate it while still riding. It went well and I felt better about it.

I didn't need to drink much considering I wasn't pushing too hard, and it was cool and I was well-hydrated prior to the race. Still, I drank almost an entire bottle of sports drink.

Ride harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I didn't need to change my shoes. I racked my bike quickly. Pulled off my helmet, grabbed my hat and number and took off. Easy.

Learn how to get in and out of bike shoes.
Run
  • 1h 03m 41s
  • 4 miles
  • 15m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, if I take out 12 minutes for the extra mile, I placed 5th in my division. Oh well. I'm actually happy that I ran the extra mile because it's closer to what I'll be doing next week at Wildflower (10k) and I felt good at the end of it. So, that put my mind at rest about dying on the run.

Uhhh... paid better attention to the course markings? :)

And I would have raced a little harder. As it was, I stayed below 175 the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around. Pee. Pasta. Water. Cytomax.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was training.

Event comments:

I love love love the TBF folks and their races are great!

Last updated: 2005-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:48 | 880 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 0/441
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Full
Course: Just a loop in Lake Folsom.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:03:58 | 16 miles | 15.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Performance: Average
Time includes my T1 time.
Wind: Some
Course: 2x out-and-back route. Rolling hills, and nice turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:41 | 04 miles | 15m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/13
Performance: Good
Actually, my real pace would have been: 12.7 Not a lot better, but considering I ran 5 miles instead of the 4 miles everyone else did... yep, I missed a turn. Added at least another 12 minutes to my overall time. That's what I'm guessing considering my pacing for the final 3 miles. My mile one split was 24 minutes.
Course: A loop starting at transition and going out on a single-track trail, bending back toward the lake, running on sand, then on a road, then through a parking lot, then up a hill, on a trail, and on and on back to the finish. Somewhat challenging considering it's got some pretty good hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes