General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training versus Competing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-04 8:20 AM

Veteran
Subject: Training versus Competing

This year is my first year competing in tris.  I have to say I have been bitten by the bug, as I really love the competition.  I have complete two thus far.  So here is my question: I am currently focused on HIM the end of the summer - Vermont Journey.  I have recently altered my training schedule to accomidate races, mostly sprints but also an Olympic on the weekends instead of my BRICKs.  I feel like I get a good workout in the race, as I typically push a bit harder and its the only way I can get the body adjusted to doing all three disciplines right after each other.  Is there research suggesting that training is better than racing if your goal is to get up to a longer event?  I would be curious to hear any thoughts pro or cons.

In terms of my training schedule it looks like the following:
Mon - Off - bodywork currently Rolfing
Tues - AM 1hr Bike 90% intensity, PM Weights
Wed - AM Swim 1600M, PM Run Interval training
Thurs AM 1hr Bike 90%, PM Weights
Fri - AM Swim 1600M, PM Run Interval
Sat - 100M Bike if no comp on Sunday if Comp easy mtn bike 1hr
Sun - 10 mile run if no comp or 20/5 BRICK - if comp then that is it with afternoon moderate mtn bike

2009-06-04 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2194302

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-04 9:29 AM

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Subject: RE: Training versus Competing
I'll leave comenting in detail to the experts but I would suggest swapping out one of the run interval training runs with a longer tempo run.  You are going long so two run interval workouts may not serve you as well as one interval, one tempo, and one long.  i would also look into mixing up the swim workouts.  You look very structured which is good but it may be worthwhile to mix it up a bit swim wise.  Make the 1,600 a long slow 2,500 now and again or 1,000 speed.  I guess I'm just saying to mix it up so your body doesn't plateau or get used to the same thing.  Experts would also likely say that you want to have build, max, and recover weeks.  Your schedule seems to be the "how hard can I push" strategy which is commendable but may not be the best long term plan.  Guys like Jorge will have some excellent advice for you.  You've got the drive, I would look into some coaching.

That's a heck of a schedule though - you should kick some rump.

2009-06-04 9:42 AM

Master
Hingham, Ma

I am going to go on the same lines as Rob, in such that by no means am I an expert, but just having done my first HIM 3 weeks ago I can only tell you what I have experienced.  Jorge and Kathy will be able to give more specific training details, but if were me, I would ride a lot.  Make sure you get at least 2-3 60 mile rides in.  I think tempo riding for 3+ hours will be more beneficial than 1hr+ sprint on a weekend.  I am not sure of the course, but if it's Vermont, I am assuming the run and bike course are not flat.  I would practice similar style courses on both the run and bike, which may mean traveling on the weekends.  I think it will make for a better HIM experience.

2009-06-04 5:08 PM

Veteran
Thanks for the advice.  I have two coaches now, one for weights and bike and one for swimming.  I am likely going to swap over to a triathlon coach, as my interests, which started out fairly broad are now becoming more specific.  Time is also a major factor too, as I travel extensively for work (Germany last week, Asia next week), which makes training not impossible but difficult (luckily, I can run anywhere and I choose hotels with laps pools).

2009-06-04 5:10 PM

Veteran
Suggestions on triathlon coaches in the Boston area?  I work out downtown and live in Medfield, MA...thanks.

2009-06-09 9:02 PM

Veteran
I love racing too - best way to get fast! However you do need to build endurance (time in the saddle, time on your feet and running on heavily biked legs) but who says you can't have both? Consider hopping on your bike and/or going for a run AFTER your race to add more miles and get some longer workouts in. That way you get to race fresh but you get to add miles tired. Good luck. 
2009-06-09 9:35 PM

In regards to coaches, look into Tri Hard. My wife and I just started with them about a month ago. I like having the structure and a plan to follow instead of just training because you know you have to. Good luck

2009-06-10 1:45 AM

Veteran

Thanks, yes I am meeting with Jason next week.  I appreciate the recommendation.  Kathy G also recommended them too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training versus Competing Rss Feed