United States
CGI
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 04m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a B&B near race sight. Had a pretty good night sleep and woke up before alarm. Ate my 2 packets of oatmeal and banana. Sipped on gaterade rest of morning. Got to race site around 6:15...right on time. Set up tranistion right by a teammate of mine. Nice surprise to be next to friendly face. Then some silly stupid girl decided she wanted to squeeze next to my bike and moved my stuff, including my bike, while I was at the potty. This pissed me off as there was plenty of space at the rack down from me. Plus she touched my stuff...not cool man, not cool.
Event warmup:

negatory...the long day didn't need it.
Swim
  • 34m 48s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

great swim. Started out nice and easy, kept it easy. As typical for me, it took about 800 to warm up. I caught a couple feet and hips here and there. I suck at sighting cuz I'm blind and I refuse to wear those damn optix goggles. So I depend on the folks in front of me to be going the right way. I didn't get beat up at all and was in a nice rhythm. I got caught up by the slower waves a few times, but this happens when you're as smoking fast as I am...bwahahha..I kid, I kid. I improved my time from last year by like 3-4 minutes, so I was happy.
What would you do differently?:

nada
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

Ok, this is where the race fell apart for me. I exited the swim and as soon as I stood up I got so dizzy I fell over and mashed my foot on something metal. OUCH! Then the nausea hit. I was so sick to my stomach and disoriented..wtf!?! I decided it would go away and so I just got my stuff together and off I went.

Well, after the race I spoke to my coach and I got water in my ear causing what could be a slight case of vertigo. This is a new one for me. Knowing what I know now, I would have used ear plugs to keep the water out. IF I ever feel like this again, I will sit and chill for 10 minutes and save myself the pain and time later. I set myself up for a bad race by trying to push through it.
Bike
  • 3h 56m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.19 mile/hr
Comments:

So I thought I could easily do this course at a 3:30 pace considering I have been working hard on my bike lately and because I got the compact crank for my bike. That was but a dream. As soon as I started out, my nausea became unbearable. I dropped into the easiest gear for the up hills, the down hills and the flats. I was in so much discomfort, I couldn't even bend over into aero. I certainly couldn't take in nutrition, I barely could take in liquids. I thought about quitting no less then 12 times. I would have to if the start of the 2nd loop went by the park. I got lucky though and we didn't. I was so focused on how awful I felt and really felt bad for myself. Then, somewhere around mile 35 I had a thought...maybe I could start to feel better, maybe!!! I knew it would be a long day and I had half of my race to go, maybe I could start to feel good. My positive attitude kept going then and around mile 45-50 I finally started to feel ok. YESS!!! But the damage was done. No nutrition, barely any liquids, and slow as snot bike time. Owell I said. I hammered out the last 5 miles and felt good finally. I was pissed but super happy I didn't quit. Overall, I was happy but not. The hills were rough but my muscles felt strong so I know if I didn't get sick, I would have met my goals.

Stay in T1 until my tummy settled and I got my eyes on straight. Being dizzy and sick on a bike is not safe and not recomended for the kids folks.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Felt good albeit tired from lack of nutrition. Grabbed by gear and off I went. Both of my transitions were faster then I thought. Good stuff!

nada
Run
  • 2h 26m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Welp, even though there was NO gas in the tank, I felt great coming off the bike. Mostly I'm sure cuz my stomach was settled and my legs fresh since I didn't get to push it on the bike. I started out great and then I cramped..big time. I know it's directly because of my lack of electrolytes. I sweat alot and if I do my nutrition right, I avoid cramps. Obviously this wasn't in the cards. I can also make them go away with gaterade, but the HEED just wasn't cutting it. I did my first loop with a walk, run combo and as I came through my 2nd loop, my teammate gave me some endurolytes. I popped those bad boys like tic tacks and crossed my fingers. Within 20', I felt AMAZING. I ran my last 4 miles almost straight through at a 9:15 pace. I was happy and feeling good. I must have passed 30 people those last miles. I finished the race feeling better then when I started.

Take endurolytes out on course with me....oh, and put some glide on my tush. The shorts are somewhat new and had not been road tested for wet conditions. I constantly dumped water on myself to cool down and so there was some major chaffing. Yay
Post race
Warm down:

Nada...just chilled for a bit and ate the water ice as fast as possible. It was gooooood!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

vertigo...doi

Event comments:

GREAT race and challenging course. The volunteers were amazing and those ice towels were better then pudding.

Last updated: 2009-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:48 | 2078 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: loop
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:56:50 | 56 miles | 14.19 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:26:51 | 13.1 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-04 8:49 AM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon

2009-06-04 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2194411

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon

Wow... way to tough it out... sorry the race wasn't exactly what you had envisioned, but congrats on making it through! That was some course.

2009-06-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2194411

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon
Sorry for your experience after what looks like a solid swim.  Nice job sticking with it and hope you don't have to experience the vertigo again.  Congrats on making it to the finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon Rss Feed