General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's going to be a long day...... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-04 8:50 AM

Subject: It's going to be a long day......
Answering questions about this ridiculous article in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch is going to make this an unbearable day.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/1E72BA7A8378BE3A862575CB0005FF63?OpenDocument

There are so many things wrong with this story.  I'll enjoy reading everyone elses take on it.

2009-06-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2194415

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: It's going to be a long day......
Story seems factual to me in that:

1. Some triathletes have underlying cardiac issues that have not yet been diagnosed and sometimes they come to light at the most inopportune time: during a tri swim.

2. The swim is rough - lots of hands and feet

3. With hundreds of thousands of participants, a few are going to die from some freak of nature or underlying medical condition

That said, I would like to see all tris have at least a few lifeguards on personal watercraft to get an injured participant to shore ASAP and administer first aid / CPR. Too few tris have these and I tend to shy away from those that do not.
2009-06-04 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
rmst09 - 2009-06-04 6:50 AM Answering questions about this ridiculous article in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch is going to make this an unbearable day.

There are so many things wrong with this story.  I'll enjoy reading everyone elses take on it.

Hrm. That's actually a fairly unbiased, well written report. It gave the facts without casting any blame, noted the increased safety measures taken by the local RD's, highlighted the need for practice and a group that did OW practices, and also noted some things that I would bet even experienced triathletes didn't know (Such as the hang on a kayak for a rest).

What is it about the article that you think is so ridiculous?

John
2009-06-04 10:22 AM

The overall tone of the article is purposely and unneccessarily ominous. 

I guess my problem is with the article itself.  The statistics don't support the gist of the article.  How many people are killed driving to work?  How many people are killed by slipping in the shower?  Does 14 deaths out of nearly 1,000,000,000 participants warrant a front page article?  

This is a non-story.  There is a level of risk involved in absolutely every activity we choose to partake in.  This just seems like an unneccesary attack on an otherwise healthy sport/past-time/outdoor activity.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we should all just swim in life jackets.    
2009-06-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2194728

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
rmst09 - 2009-06-04 8:22 AM The overall tone of the article is purposely and unneccessarily ominous. 

I guess my problem is with the article itself.  The statistics don't support the gist of the article.  How many people are killed driving to work?  How many people are killed by slipping in the shower?  Does 14 deaths out of nearly 1,000,000,000 participants warrant a front page article?  

This is a non-story.  There is a level of risk involved in absolutely every activity we choose to partake in.  This just seems like an unneccesary attack on an otherwise healthy sport/past-time/outdoor activity.

Wow. Uhm...sensitive much? Or are you really that unaware that sensationalism (of which this article actually has very little) is what sells news?

To me, the article was not an attack on a sport. It was a memorial, with relevant facts. The family isn't suing, all they cared about was that safety became more of an issue, which it did and has.

Yeah, statistically it's not that relevant. BUT, out of the 14 deaths reported, 13 were on the swim, and only about 1/2 of those had heart related issues. Edited to add: And it has been a noted, growing thing, heart problems on the swim, even in healthy individuals.

If all the article does is prevent one person from dying because they dig a little deeper for some information and/or take a preparation class I'm all for it.

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2009-06-04 10:32 AM
2009-06-04 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
rmst09 - 2009-06-04 10:22 AM

The overall tone of the article is purposely and unneccessarily ominous. 

I didn't feel an ominous tone. When a generally healthy young athlete dies during competition, especially when it remains a mystery exactly why he drown, there's a story there. The bottom line is that in most other sports, if an athlete has an emergency medical issue and goes down, someone will notice and be able to provide immediate aid. Being in open water comes with the risk that no one will realize if an athlete is in trouble.

2009-06-04 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

have to agree with others, think the article is very fair and balanced and doesn't put triathlons, triathletes, or RDs in a bad light.

2009-06-04 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

rmst09 - 2009-06-04 11:22 AM The overall tone of the article is purposely and unneccessarily ominous. 

fixed that for ya...

2009-06-04 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2194776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Another vote for not seeing anything sensational or ominous in the article.

If it makes people realise that OWS isn't something that you can just "HTFU" and do without any prior experience or a full understanding of the risks, then it's a good thing.
2009-06-04 10:49 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

rmst09 - 2009-06-04 11:22 AM The overall tone of the article is purposely and unneccessarily ominous. 

wow.  to you, maybe.

2009-06-04 10:58 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I'm with tkd.teacher on this one, I don't find the article unnecessarily ominous or ridiculous in any way.  In fact, I found it quite refreshing to read about Hunt's father going back, watching another triathlon to ensure safety changes had happened and support his son's friend and not suing the organizer. 

2009-06-04 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I liked that article.  Open water swimming is dangerous even without the arms and legs of other swimmers hitting you.  No amount of lifeguards or kayaks will make you safer than being competent and confident in the open water.  As was mentioned above, open water swimming is not an HTFU situation and shouldn't be taken lightly.  It's one of the most liberating and fun activities, but people really need to respect the dangers associated with it before diving in.

2009-06-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2194848

It's a tragic story no doubt.  I will be thinking about Kevin's story before the race. 

I'm glad that it seems that you all seem to see the story in a positive light and after rereading it I can see some of your points. 

Maybe it seems ominous to me because I'm getting ready to do that race and the picture of Kevin before the race really hits home.  

2009-06-04 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2194676

User image

Expert
tkd.teacher - 2009-06-04 10:07 AM

I would bet even experienced triathletes didn't know (Such as the hang on a kayak for a rest)

Not to hijack, but I thought all experienced triathletes knew this, but posting to notify inexperienced athletes is useful.
2009-06-04 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
My only comment would be that for non-triathletes reading the article the multiple references to the swim as involving things like "punch[es]" and "slapping" is a little problematic.  It would be pretty easy for someone without an understanding of the swim to assume that those are intentional, rather than incidental, especially when it is described elsewhere in the article as a "fight".  "Punch" and "slap" are kind of loaded...although I do think the article tried to put them in context with the quotes from participants.  I don't think the article was too alarmist...but I can see how someone without direct experience of tri's might get some misunderstandings from it.  Just my .02.

I did appreciate the discussion of the steps the RD had taken to try to address concerns, including the added wave.
2009-06-04 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
It's a good article. I actually think there should be more articles on the risks of this sport. People have to be aware of them. There are so many wonderful inspirational things you read about triathlons, it's easy to get carried away and think of this sport as an activity with 100% benefits and no risks involved whatsoever. It's a serious undertaking and people have to realize it BEFORE pressing the "register" button.

2009-06-04 1:43 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
I think its a good article.  It reports facts in an even way, indicates that the father and friend returned to the race to "complete" the son's goal and make sure other athletes were better protected.  The swim is a problem: its scary and slightly dangerous, particularly for newcomers.  Is that a reason to shut the sport down, of course not.  But it is a reason to think about ways to make the sport safer.     
2009-06-04 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
x10 on a well-written, unbiased article.  Kudos(and condolensces) to Hunt's parents for not following the litigation crowd  Being raised in and around the water, I'm very comfortable in the water, BUT, my 1st OWS tri was an eye-opener.  I can see where a novice could EASILY be  unnerved and intimidated.  Having said all that, I was brought up in the SELF and operator-error school.  If you decide to jump in/join/participate, etc.  YOU assume the consequences.  I would go so far as to have the waiver/assumption of risk spell out that any gripes may also be resolved WITHOUT an attorney.
2009-06-04 4:01 PM

I have my first triathlon this weekend and I enjoyed the article. I have been a part of two marathons and one half-marathon where people have died.

Tragic- yes, but it is a part of the sport and needs to communicated.

Endurance sports all have a risk and people should be aware of those risks. Every time I go out I know there is a chance something could happen to me but that is the chance I take to live a healthy lifestyle.

Great article.
2009-06-04 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2195159

User image

Vero Beach, FL
margarita - 2009-06-04 1:58 PM It's a good article. I actually think there should be more articles on the risks of this sport. People have to be aware of them. There are so many wonderful inspirational things you read about triathlons, it's easy to get carried away and think of this sport as an activity with 100% benefits and no risks involved whatsoever. It's a serious undertaking and people have to realize it BEFORE pressing the "register" button.

Ditto!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's going to be a long day...... Rss Feed