General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tulsa Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-05 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Subject: Tulsa Tri

Well I'm really excited for the Tulsa Tri. This will be my first olympic distance and also my first open water swim (which i still haven't practiced...). I did the F3 sprint and the spring fever in claremore and had an awesome time at those (1:30 and 1:10, which met up exactly with my arbitrary goals i didn't think i could hit), so hopefully this one will be the same (better actually, since this time I actually plan on drinking water and taking in nutrition before and during the race like i should). Anyways, I hope to meet some more people at this next race (maybe someone who could teach me how to ride a bike... lol)

-Bryan Journey

2009-06-07 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2197533

User image

Subject: RE: Tulsa Tri
good to see you on here Bryan.  I do weekend bike rides from broken arrow to downtown tulsa every weekend,  usually incorporating bricks into it.  You're more than welcome to join.  Also trying to plan one or two open water swims in the next week or two, probably out at lake Ft Gibson. 
2009-06-08 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Tulsa

We have a decent size tri group in Owasso.  We ride every tuesday and thursday evening.  All skill level of riders.  And on saturdays we do rides and OWS.  Last weekend the group started at skiatook lake and did a swim, then biked the Tulsa tri course and back and some did a run after.  Let me know if you want anymore information.  We have people who just do sprints all the way up to a few of us doing IMLouisville this year.

2009-06-09 5:31 PM

User image

yeah  give me more information,  would like to know what and when you guys train.  I'm am really getting sick of training alone. 
2009-06-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2206187

User image

Expert
Tulsa

psummers81 - 2009-06-09 5:31 PM yeah  give me more information,  would like to know what and when you guys train.  I'm am really getting sick of training alone. 

Well we have triathletes and bikers that bike on tuesday and thursday nights at 6:30 from the 360 sports bike shop in owasso.  We do anywhere from 15 miles to 35 miles.  We also ride every saturday morning from the shop starting at 6 right now.  When it gets hotter we will probably start earlier.  We go anywhere from 45 miles to 80 miles.  It depends on the training week.  This weekend i'm only doing a 2 hour ride because it is my lone run weekend (2 hour run).  Not everyone goes as far as some of us.  There are others who split off at certain sections to cut the ride shorter.  Also, we sometimes do an OWS saturday mornings before our ride at skiatook lake.  If you want to get on our bike e-mail and tri e-mail then send me you address and i'll get you on there.

2009-06-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2207441

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
psummers81 - 2009-06-07 12:41 PM good to see you on here Bryan.  I do weekend bike rides from broken arrow to downtown tulsa every weekend,  usually incorporating bricks into it.  You're more than welcome to join.  Also trying to plan one or two open water swims in the next week or two, probably out at lake Ft Gibson. 

Definitely, as soon as i get a weekend free (going to okc this weekend for my roommate's wedding), I will have to join up with you. Let me know about the ows, I definitely want at least one before the tri if i can.

ballyard7 - 2009-06-10 10:09 AM

psummers81 - 2009-06-09 5:31 PM yeah  give me more information,  would like to know what and when you guys train.  I'm am really getting sick of training alone. 

Well we have triathletes and bikers that bike on tuesday and thursday nights at 6:30 from the 360 sports bike shop in owasso.  We do anywhere from 15 miles to 35 miles.  We also ride every saturday morning from the shop starting at 6 right now.  When it gets hotter we will probably start earlier.  We go anywhere from 45 miles to 80 miles.  It depends on the training week.  This weekend i'm only doing a 2 hour ride because it is my lone run weekend (2 hour run).  Not everyone goes as far as some of us.  There are others who split off at certain sections to cut the ride shorter.  Also, we sometimes do an OWS saturday mornings before our ride at skiatook lake.  If you want to get on our bike e-mail and tri e-mail then send me you address and i'll get you on there.

wow, 45-80 miles? that is hardcore. I live in south tulsa, so i probably won't be able to make it to any of the rides (i play basketball and soccer on those days anyways), but i'd love to get on the tri email list in case i can make it out for a swim some saturday morning. my email is [email protected]. thanks!

-Bryan Journey

2009-06-11 9:31 PM

New user

Tulsa, OK
I live in south Tulsa - 101st and Sheridan. I ride most every Staurday with a group and you are more than welcome. We are leaving at 8:30 from 31st and Riverside this Staurday, riding to Skiatook, swimming and then ridiing the Tulsa Tri bike course on the way back in. Also we ride every Wedneday as part of the WNR group that heads out from the Oktoberfest parking lot on the west side of the river.

The Tulsa Area Triathletes (TAT) are also having another group doing basically the same but they are leaving at 6am from 21st and Riverside this Saturday.

Also the TAT group is starting an Olympic training program aimed at Redman this fall if interetsed. Check out the website www.tatok.com

2009-06-12 3:34 PM

User image

Finally got off my and registered for the Tulsa Tri. 

this saturday I have meetings until about 10:30 am.  So I won't be biking until maybe 12:00, doing the Tour De Tulsa from 101st and Garnett.  If anyone interested, let me know before hand so I can set up definite times instead of just leaving my house and riding.  If I have time, I am also thinking of making a brick out of it. 

Paul
2009-06-14 9:56 PM

User image

What are people doing about their cars for the Tulsa Triathlon????  We obviously can't drop our cars off in one place and hitch a ride back to them later.   Would be a nice suggestion for next year, have a bus for athletes only running participants from the finishline to the start line in the morning before the race starts.  You have to have a race number to get on the bus, spectators need to find their own way up there.  People like me that don't have anyone else to give me a ride to drop off or pick up my equipment are kinda getting screwed here. 
2009-06-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2217213

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
psummers81 - 2009-06-14 9:56 PM What are people doing about their cars for the Tulsa Triathlon????  We obviously can't drop our cars off in one place and hitch a ride back to them later.   Would be a nice suggestion for next year, have a bus for athletes only running participants from the finishline to the start line in the morning before the race starts.  You have to have a race number to get on the bus, spectators need to find their own way up there.  People like me that don't have anyone else to give me a ride to drop off or pick up my equipment are kinda getting screwed here. 

I was just thinking about that, do you have enough room to fit two bikes in your vehicle? if so, we could leave my car at the finish and take it back up to get your car or something like that.
2009-06-18 11:09 PM

User image

Okay, I think I finally came up with a car,  so we will have to work that out.  Leave one car at the finish line and one at the starting line.  I will text or call you about it later.

2009-06-21 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Well I had a ton of fun today at the race! The water was perfect temp and the swim was nice and easy, though i did keep swimming off course (good thing for people in kayaks) and zig-zagging the whole way and my goggles definitely had too much suction (really started hurting my eyes), but somehow i managed a 34:16. Even though that's really slow compared to my pool times, I'm not too worried about getting it way down for the next one I do, as I was pretty well cruising the whole way without kicking. Transitions were super fast this time at 1 min flat for t1 and :20 for t2 to net 13th on that particular item. And surprisingly I made it through the bike! Though I did get stuck with a drafting penalty (6 min. added to the swim) for biking next to a guy and talking to him for a few minutes (at least now i know the rule about staying 3 bikes back even if you aren't behind him, how ridiculous!). Total pace was 14.2mph which I am more than happy with considering my experience on a bike and the brutal headwind conditions the whole way! I felt pretty good by the time I got to the run, but that lasted for about 30 seconds before my legs gave out. The whole rest of the way I couldn't hardly jog more than a minute before I had to walk (the heat was brutal!). I started to recover about half way through and then lack of electrolytes took over and it was back to the same thing (lost my only gatorade bottle when it was still half full on the bike). Legs cramped up pretty bad the last few hundred meters and was actually surprised I finished, much less under an hour for the run. Cramps went away the second I downed a bottle of gatorade at the finish (why couldn't they have this on the course?). So total time was 3:19:01 (3:13:01 actual) which beat my secondary goal of 3:15 (Primary was 3:00, tertiary was finish, lol), so I am quite pleased. Though I do think I will stick to sprints mostly for awhile now (I am most certainly not an endurance athlete).

So how did everyone else do?
2009-06-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2232760

User image

Expert
Tulsa

golfer17 - 2009-06-21 10:05 PM Well I had a ton of fun today at the race! The water was perfect temp and the swim was nice and easy, though i did keep swimming off course (good thing for people in kayaks) and zig-zagging the whole way and my goggles definitely had too much suction (really started hurting my eyes), but somehow i managed a 34:16. Even though that's really slow compared to my pool times, I'm not too worried about getting it way down for the next one I do, as I was pretty well cruising the whole way without kicking. Transitions were super fast this time at 1 min flat for t1 and :20 for t2 to net 13th on that particular item. And surprisingly I made it through the bike! Though I did get stuck with a drafting penalty (6 min. added to the swim) for biking next to a guy and talking to him for a few minutes (at least now i know the rule about staying 3 bikes back even if you aren't behind him, how ridiculous!). Total pace was 14.2mph which I am more than happy with considering my experience on a bike and the brutal headwind conditions the whole way! I felt pretty good by the time I got to the run, but that lasted for about 30 seconds before my legs gave out. The whole rest of the way I couldn't hardly jog more than a minute before I had to walk (the heat was brutal!). I started to recover about half way through and then lack of electrolytes took over and it was back to the same thing (lost my only gatorade bottle when it was still half full on the bike). Legs cramped up pretty bad the last few hundred meters and was actually surprised I finished, much less under an hour for the run. Cramps went away the second I downed a bottle of gatorade at the finish (why couldn't they have this on the course?). So total time was 3:19:01 (3:13:01 actual) which beat my secondary goal of 3:15 (Primary was 3:00, tertiary was finish, lol), so I am quite pleased. Though I do think I will stick to sprints mostly for awhile now (I am most certainly not an endurance athlete).

So how did everyone else do?

You don't know you aren't an endurance athlete....My first year of tri's I did a sprint and then jumped to the olympic.  After the olympic in june i said i never wanted to do that again.  It was to long and hard.  Then 2 months later I jumped up to the HIM distance (Redman). Did that and at the end said that was the most horrible thing i have ever done and never wanted to do it again.....3 weeks later i signed up for 2 HIM the following year (IMKansas 70.3 and IMCalifornia 70.3).  After each of those i said i didn't want to do it again and guess what......I signed up for a FULL IMLouisville for the next year (this year).  I am currently training for that and i still can't think about the distances because it's so far.  But now, only in my third season, HIM are alot more fun because of the endurance i built up last year..

So moral of the story......Give it a few weeks and see how you feel.....You might just be finding yourself signing up for a HIM!!! Lol good job on the race, it was very hot!

2009-06-22 7:11 PM

User image

I had an awesome race as well, finishing 3:14:32 without any drafting penalties,  LOL to the riding side by side and chatting during the biking course.  Swim time was right where I wanted it, 34:16.  I know I can trim that back down a little more each race.  Pool swims are always around 28 minutes, so I have room for improvement.  Bike time was 1:29:21 with average speed of over 16 mph.  That headwind was a real b***h.  At times we would be flying along, then all of the sudden hits winds that would drop me down to 8 mph.  And then the hill hidden by the bushes and road side "shrubberies" (Monty Python), that hill had me surprised so I started up it in the wrong gear.  Over all, great biking and I think I will continue my training with riding south into the head winds.  Run time sucked, mostly because the heat sucked the race out of me, but also because I always hit that famous barrier.  Time was 1:07:41.  Every race I do, I am awesome and ahead of my goals, until I hit the run, and for some reason always hit the same wall that throws my pace down to a 10 or 11 minute mile.  I train 7 - 8 minute mile paces on 10K,  I do bricks running at a 8:30 pace,  why can't I keep the same in a race?????????
Overall race, awesome, had fun like always.  "Keep Racing", that is my motto, and it should be the motto of all endurance athletes.
2009-06-24 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
thanks, ballyard7, you might be right, as when I first got into this I didn't even think I'd ever bother with an olympic distance either! (I suppose if I just start thinking of myself as an endurance athlete with an unusually high number of fast-twitch muscles, then that changes everything! lol)

Paul, when's your next one? I'm thinking of doing the Lighthouse sprint in Edmond in July.

Btw, I biked to work for the first time today and loved it, so hopefully I can start doing that more often to get a few bike workouts in during the week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tulsa Tri Rss Feed