General Discussion Race Reports! » Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Finish Strong
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 49s
Overall Rank = 61/108
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45, before the alarm, I even took a shower before racing. Peanut butter bagel for breakfast driving over. I managed to ride from the parking lot with my big duffle bag. No line for timing chip, waited a minute for body marking, set up transition easily. Tried to help some of the 1st timers. Worked on my karma lending my spare beat up goggles, they even got returned after the race. Pit stop every 15 minutes, still sipping on the Pepsi I started with breakfast. Had a slimfast 1 hour before my start and a PowerBar 30 minutes to my start.
Event warmup:

Besides pacing, I did swim a few half laps that probably totaled 50 yards. It was a get in line lane, not a warm up lane. Starting 35 minutes after the start and really more like 50 minutes after the pool closed for warmup just didn't seem worth it with the cool air. Without assigned bike racks I was reluctant to take my bike out. No excuse for not running.
Swim
  • 07m 54s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This part kind of sucked. The person in front of me didn't show so at least I was unlikely to need to pass. The guy behind me caught me in 2 or 3 lengths so I let him go by, waited for him to get down the lane a couple strokes and I still ran into him when I pushed off. He must have gone out sprinting because I was just stuck behind him and his speed did not seem fast enough to have caught me as soon as he did. Two guys passed both of us and one gal caught me but did not pass. On the bright side I had a good draft and was only putting in a half effort most of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Do better in the first 100. I probably had kind of a crappy 1st 100 and the others sprinted their's and I got stuck.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

This went much better than last year probably because my head was clearer after not pushing as hard on the swim. I skipped my planned gel figuring it would leave me crashing before the end of the race and I had plenty to eat.

I tried to run with the bike and then put the helmet on, but I'm not that coordinated, so I had to stop and try to hold the bike without straddling it, while I put it on.

I had a great rack location, close to the exit and entrance.

Just put the helmet on while the bike is still racked.
Bike
  • 40m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike for me! I stayed in the big chain ring much more than usual. Had my 1st gel 10 minutes in. It occured to me I had a spare and I could take another in T2. Drank as much of the aero bottle as the straw would reach and some of my Gatorade bottle.

I got blocked a few times and had to get out of the saddle to finish a pass to avoid drafting. The worst was when I got blocked by a car. I think they were nervous with the bikes and went slow, but I didn't want to pass on his right, especially entering a traffic circle. The volunteer found it funny that I was yelling for the car to hurry up and go. Technically, I was probably drafting the car. I was near 3 bike lengths, but I don't think I entered it until we were seperating in the circle.

Another, experienced looking, cyclists almost took me out hard. We were hitting one of the best downhills so I'm approaching 30 mph. This guy had passed me when I couldn't get shifted into the big ring, but now he was riding with no hands taking a gel. I called a polite on your left that I don't think he heard. As I got closer he swerved left, not just to the center but approaching the left curb. I was yelling more urgently and he straightened up as I dove right. Some of these fast guys seem to think they own the course, no one could possibly be gaining on them.

I wish I had manuvered better in the turns. I slowed down more because the other racers were making me nervous.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

This is good for me. Again I benefited from rack location; less time running with the bike, but I remembered to just grab the race belt and put it on later.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the weather really helped compared to last year. I was huffing and puffing most of the time, but was fine as far as heat and hydration. I took my gel first thing on the run.

They were handing out huge cups of water so I dumped the remainder on myself as usual, but it was a little colder than usual.

Of course I had to pee, actually since the bike, but this neighborhood doesn't have many good opportunities. I spotted some good woods along my return path that gave me a reason to hurry. Natural break didn't take to long, but I went deeper into the woods to avoid offending the homeowners.

After that I relaxed past mile 2 with a little more water, saw I could be my most optomistic race time so I picked up the pace again. A guy in my age group passed me but I just couldn't hang on. I wish I had because 2 minutes would have improved my ranking several spots. Tried to sprint at the end. I think seeing how good my time was made me relax a little too much, but I put on a little sprint at the end. The finish chute curved dramatically right and had water in it, so I slowed slightly so i wouldn't slip.

Not stop to pee. Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking breifly, but not throwing up. I forgot to mention I was checking behind me during the bike and run to make sure it was clear for throwing up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly training, but I did have my share of people in my way.

Event comments:

I still love this race, Scott does a great job and the addition of bike racks was great! I left before the awards because the pool closed to competitors which meant we had no bathrooms at all after finishing. I know its a balancing act to be good guest and for them to be good host, but this just seemed rude. I tailgated one of the residents who raced, but given my bladder and all the fluids I was drinking it was safer for me to leave.

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:54 | 300 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 91/108
Performance: Below average
HRM was pulling down when I pushed off. Somehow I think my HR was higher than 30.
Suit:
Course: Pool swim with traffic both ways except on the 1st and last lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:04 | 12 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 40/108
I'm over ruling the autocalc, my computer says 18mph average and that includes the time pushing the bike.
Wind: Some
Course: 4 Laps. Some uphills, but most weren't bad. Great downhills, max speed 30.6! I love those downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:07 | 03.11 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 72/108
Avg HR 167
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-06 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research

2009-06-06 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2199210

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research
Mark:

It was great to meet you. You are the first BTer I have met in person. Glad to hear it was a Personal best. Hope to see you at another one soon.

Doug
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gary Kirby Triathlon for Cancer Research Rss Feed