Canada
24C / 75F
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 11s
Overall Rank = 134/152
Age Group = Women 20-29
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Oh, Jesus. I had a pretty good race routine. Reserved a hotel for the night before which was maybe 6 minutes drive from the race site. Picked up the race kit the night before. Woke up early enough, ate well, drank well prior to the race. Got there early enough, too. Set up in transition. And... for some reason, I just lost track of time. I was putting on sunblock and getting my wetsuit out of its bag when the race horn BLEW. WHAT?! I literally FLEW with my cap and goggles and wetsuit to the start, flipping the wetsuit right side out as I ran. I began to shove myself into my suit, but realized I was putting it on backwards, took it off, started all over again. Someone helped me zip it up, someone took my watch and put it at my bike station, and off I went into the water. Swimmers were already at the furthest buoy. Don't even get me started... I was 5 minutes late overall, PLUS they gave me a 2 minute penalty for starting late. Fuck fuck fuck me. So overall I should have finished 2h57m... so I'm going to count it as making my goal of an Oly tri under 3h. Heh.
Event warmup:

Major adrenaline rush from being 5 min late to the start.
Swim
  • 29m 51s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Uhm... I somehow managed to pass over 50 swimmers, and still end up 10th in my category? Fuck I'm awesome....
What would you do differently?:

START ON TIME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Wetsuit was stuck stuck stuck. Everything else went smoothly, though. I noticed that the nice lady I had thrown my watch at and yelled my bib number to had placed my watch in my helmet. That made me smile.

Practice with the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 13s
  • 42 kms
  • 25.40 km/hr
Comments:

Oh my lord, those 3 hills. I got up to speed well enough, then I realized my bike computer wasn't working (I don't yet know why, I have to bring it in to be checked, it's not just that the magnetic thingies were too far apart). So, after all these shitty things had happened, I was like fuck it, I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of myself. I didn't ride as hard as I could, and I had no idea how fast I was going, but pfft, it was a gorgeous day.

- Have the time to check that everything is working well, especially the bike computer and the gears.
- Practice HILLS HILLS HILLS
- I was one of the last one's the finish, so just practice getting comfy and strong on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I actually walked a bit to my transition station. It hurt to run...

Do more bike/run bricks to get up to speed quickly after dismounting from the bike.
Run
  • 55m 9s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

My mom (the doctor) advised me to take 3 Advil during the bike ride as a base load against inflammation for my knee, and a Tylenol just at the end of the bike ride to help with the pain. It worked surprisingly well. The 2 things that did ache/hurt, however, were my calves from all the bike work and my right thigh from that stupid massive charlie horse someone gave me in the soccer game on Thursday night.

- More bike/run bricks
- More speed work
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Found a guy I knew from Masters (Phil) who had done the Sprint. Talked a bit, talked to other people near me in the transition zone. A couple people actually came up to me to ask me how my race went because they had seen me freak out and start so late. Ah, triathletes are so supportive and full of humor, I love it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- The charlie horse
- Not enough running training
- I wasn't pushing myself hard enough b/c I had already labelled this race a "fun race" b/c of... well, you know.

Event comments:

Despite my atrocious decision making, the course was BEAUTIFUL. The water was fabulous, the bike circuit was smooth and interesting (even with those hills), and the run was well organized and along some beautiful scenery by the water. It was the funnest race I've ever done. I will definitely go back there again next year, and I WILL BE ON TIME!!!!!

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:51 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 99/152
Performance: Good
I'm surprised I even made it under 2min/100m seeing as I was 5 minutes late to start. Fuck me. By my calculations, my swim would have been 1m36s/100m.
Suit: nineteen women's XS
Course: It was out to a buoy and back in for a 750m distance, get out of the water, and get back in for a second go-around.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:39:13 | 42 kms | 25.40 km/hr
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 144/152
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: It was 10 times around the Mt Tremblant circuit which... well, no one told me that there were 2 medium sized hills and then one massive "I WANT TO DIE" hill. So big, so steep. I can't even begin to describe it.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:09 | 10 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 123/152
Performance: Good
Course: It was an out and back course. Hilly at the beginning/end, but smooth all by the water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-06 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant

2009-06-06 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2199229

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Triathlon Mont-Tremblant
Congrats! I'm happy that you enjoyed your day. I was there too and I swam for the first time in a lake... and I did very well! I loved the bike course because I'm a very good climber so I did good. I couldn't run because of my knee injury so I had to quit after T2 but I had a beautiful day!

Have a good recovery.

2009-06-06 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2199343

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
EleK - 2009-06-06 6:26 PM Congrats! I'm happy that you enjoyed your day. I was there too and I swam for the first time in a lake... and I did very well! I loved the bike course because I'm a very good climber so I did good. I couldn't run because of my knee injury so I had to quit after T2 but I had a beautiful day!

Have a good recovery.

Yeah, the lake was beautiful and calm! Water temperature was pretty perfect, too. What happened to your knee to make you unable to run? I hope it is getting better!
2009-06-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2199430

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Good job Krystyna

You kept at it even with your 5 minutes late start and your bike computer not working. That's what I call determination

Awesome swim time, damn I am jealous  
2009-06-06 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2199430

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2009-06-06 6:37 PM
Yeah, the lake was beautiful and calm! Water temperature was pretty perfect, too. What happened to your knee to make you unable to run? I hope it is getting better!

I'm recovering from an injury I had 3 weeks ago. It's almost healed but I didn't want to risk anything. Since I wanted to do a triathlon really bad, I decided to do one but I knew I wasn't going to run. My plan was to swim and bike just as in a real triathlon and stop after T2.

Good luck at Ottawa next week!
2009-06-06 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Krystyna you are hilarious!!! I am really glad you enjoyed this race even with the time delay! It sounds like a wonderful day. And your swim time - AMAZING!

I'm looking fwd to see how you do at your next tri when you start on time LOL

2009-06-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2199569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
EleK - 2009-06-06 9:10 PM
krystyna47 - 2009-06-06 6:37 PM

I'm recovering from an injury I had 3 weeks ago. It's almost healed but I didn't want to risk anything. Since I wanted to do a triathlon really bad, I decided to do one but I knew I wasn't going to run. My plan was to swim and bike just as in a real triathlon and stop after T2.

Good luck at Ottawa next week!

Hey, then maybe you'd be interested in something like an aquathlon? I'm pretty sure that is swimming and biking. If not, there's got to be *something* that doesn't include running. I, too, am coming off a knee injury (surgery for ACL and meniscus) but the pain is slowly slowly going away (mainly for long distance running).

So was your first tri experience great? I'm off to see if you wrote up a race report right now!
2009-06-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2199458

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
rlejeune - 2009-06-06 7:57 PM Good job Krystyna

You kept at it even with your 5 minutes late start and your bike computer not working. That's what I call determination

Awesome swim time, damn I am jealous  

Yeah, I think that was partly me overfocusing on swimming and partly a major adrenaline rush. :P
2009-06-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2199615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eurydice79 - 2009-06-06 9:46 PM

Krystyna you are hilarious!!! I am really glad you enjoyed this race even with the time delay! It sounds like a wonderful day. And your swim time - AMAZING!

I'm looking fwd to see how you do at your next tri when you start on time LOL

Oh yes, the adventures of triathletes - there are many, and how varied, too! :P
Yes, hopefully, next weekend I will break the 3h barrier both virtually AND physically (just virtually this time, I'm afraid!)
2009-06-07 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I so love your race reports -- we have to get you a professional writing gig somewhere.

Finished 10th in the swim, eh? Absolutely awesome!
2009-06-07 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2199846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
prof40 - 2009-06-07 7:05 AM I so love your race reports -- we have to get you a professional writing gig somewhere.

Finished 10th in the swim, eh? Absolutely awesome!

10th out of 13 from my category (Women 20-29), not overall (that was 99/152).
Hah, race report writing gig, that'd be pretty sweet. :P

2009-06-08 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Well, i hope the story gets funnier to you as time passes! :D Makes for a great story, anyway!! Great report, sounds like you enjoyed yourself out there and you still rocked the swim!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed