American Diabetes Association
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 33m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and went outside to check out the weather conditions. It was sunny when I first got up but there were cloud looming in the distance. Decided to double layer with long sleeves. Packed my bag for the car and loaded the car with both bikes because I wasn't sure what bike I would be riding for how much of the ride. Was having problems with my contacts and allergies from the moment I woke up and continued to battle them as Mom took some pictures on the drive way with both bikes. Got in the car and headed to the Norbert Hill Center.
Event warmup:

Got there, found parking, found where the event was, got my number, and then went to decide what I was dragging along on the bike. Started talking to the girl parked next to me and decided this was going to be a long cold ride. Why would I warm up on a 100K bike ride!?!
Bike
  • 4h 33m 13s
  • 100 kms
  • 21.96 km/hr
Comments:

I pretty much decided the night before that I was going to attempt to ride my new triathlon bike the first loop and then change bikes if things weren't going well before going out on the second loop. When we started out it was party sunny with a mild wind from the east and I spent the first few miles just getting comfortable, but this is also when I realized there was only about 15 people and I got dropped fast and that I was going to be alone for most of the ride. The first rest stop was 2.8 miles into the ride and I breezed right by it. The ride was going to be very cold which is what I was starting to figure out as the miles were ticking off. The triathlon bike was handling pretty well and I was spending about half the time in aero and the other half out. I discovered nutrition is going to be a problem and something I need to learn now to manage during future rides. Kept going and continued to have problems with dry eyes and bad contact problems. Breezed by rest stop two and continued on into territory that I hadn't biked before. Passed a total of 3 people in the first 10 miles or so. Then I turned back and started to return but when I turned, I turned into a east northeast wind that started to make the ride not only cold but windy. Dropped into aero in an attempt to try and get past some of the wind. Was very glad when I was able to get onto Vine and know where I was and about how far I had to go. When I got to the third rest stop I got off my bike, called home to let them know where I was and took in some nutrition. I didn't stay there long because I knew the longer I stayed the harder it would be to get back on the bike. Got going because I hoped I would have a family to look forward to seeing soon. Started playing mind games with myself wondering if I was actually going to do a second loop or not. Also made the decision that I would do the second loop on the tri bike and just be miserable if things started to fall apart. Turned the corner for the second loop and started over again and still couldn't see anybody in front of me :( Kept riding and climbed the hill in front of the first rest stop. I was looking for my parents car and didn't see it, but then I noticed someone starting in the road waving and then a small dog and figured out it was a my parents. Stopped for a few minutes to take some more nutrition and talk with them a bit. Got a group picture and started again on my way. I knew at that point there were two people not to far in front of me and started pushing to catch up to one of them. I did finally catch this guy just before the 2nd rest stop and we got started talking there and then a group of about 5 came up behind us. This nice guy and I decided to handle the rest of the ride together and talked for a while and just kept pushing along. It was much easier to have someone to ride with and talk with. The wind was just as bad, more east and since I was wet from sweating it was freezing. My feet had gone numb at this point, actually probably way before this, but I just kept going. With about 15 to go, my back and shoulders started to get really tired and sore and my hands started to fall asleep so I was forced to switch every mile or so between aero and sitting up. Stopped at the last rest stop, took a few minutes to stretch and then decided it was time to keep moving. Started just listing off the miles to go and then it started to sprinkle. We had about 5 miles to go and just kept pushing. My legs were pretty much failing and I knew that I need to push that final way and get there. And that is what we did and soon we were pulling into the parking out and I was down the hill to the end. Stopped my garmin and got off. I had made it on the tri bike the whole time as crazy as it was to ride the new bike that much that far.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I know this was a benchmark to see how I am doing with training, but I hadn't done close to this distance... only a 40 miler and it showed on that second loop.
Post race
Warm down:

Got off my bike, grabbed some food, ate some food, stood around and realized nothing exciting was going on. Walked my bike back to the car since it was starting to rain and changed clothing into something much warmer, went to the bathroom and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough. I have some work cut out for me this summer.

Event comments:

I'm not sure I will ever participate in this again. I have done some bad races before but this one was sad. No signs even marking where check in was. They weren't sure what was going on at registration. The start was very sloppy. Only about 15 people went out on the 100K and I am not sure that many even did a second loop because of the weather conditions. Got back to no celebration. No one even said congrats or thank you for riding today. The food was cold and the post race activities didn't exist minus having a wrist band to get into the carnival being put on to the event. I was extremely disappointed because I have done other charity distance events like the MS Challenge Walk and it was so much better!!

Last updated: 2009-01-19 12:00 AM
Biking
04:33:13 | 100 kms | 21.96 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a 31.4 mile double loop with some rolling hills, some flats, lots of turns and lots of stop signs with no road support on these stops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right