HRCA
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 4s
Overall Rank = 31/456
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4, one serving of oatmeal with some water. Didn't want to eat too much as my start time was 6 on the dot
Event warmup:

2.5 mile bike, .5 mile run, about a 200 in the pool before the start.
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pool swim, went by really quick. Just held a decent pace and didn't fall off at all. Probably left a little on the table on the swim. There was a pretty good distance to the transition area so the actual swim time had to be quite a bit faster.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a touch faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Good transition, I actually thought this was a lot slower due to the long run to the TA. I took my time, got socks on, etc. Put cycling shoes on and did a regular mount...still need to learn the running mount.

Running mount with shoes on the bike? still not sure if this really saves time as once I clip in I can get up to speed right away.
Bike
  • 36m 54s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was tougher than I thought it was going to be, there were some pretty good hills so I couldn't realy get in a good rhythm. Town center was a good hill, and then broadway there must have been a headwind because it looked downhill but I wasn't moving too fast. once you're on Wildcat reserve its all downhill and you are moving pretty quick. I think the course is slightly longer as my computer said 12.8 miles and all the splits looked slow.. Only got passed once or twice and passed a few.

keep a slightly faster cadence on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Felt like a decent transition. Took my time getting out of there but no mishaps.

could have moved a little faster
Run
  • 24m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This sucked. I was hoping the extra running i've been working on would pay off but I got side cramps really bad again and was going really slow. Its uphill at mile 1 and I got passed by a girl and got pretty ticked! Once I got turned around and got some gatorade and was heading downhill I caught my breath and picked up the pace..but I gotta do much better than this! I need to shoot to average about 7 mins.

Run faster, somehow prevented the cramps? Not sure how to do this...
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, walked around and stretched a bit

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run.

Event comments:

I ended up leaving the race very concerned about the way they were directing traffic at HR pkwy outside the rest center. During the race I was hauling through that section of the race course and didn't give it a second thought...but as I watched some of the riders later in the day the cops were doing a horrible job! They weren't even facing the direction that the racers were coming from and multiple times I watched them let cars go right when bicyclists were on their way! They also badly needed an officer or volunteer by the church parking lot to the south of the rec center. Even when I was on the course(6:10 - 6:40AM)there were people coming and going right in the middle of the race course, and later I watched a bad accident with a racer where a car pulled RIGHT in front of him going 25+mph and the rider struck the car went end over end and got badly injured...police, ambulance, firetrucks, etc. Not sure if I'd do this tri again due to safety concerns.

Last updated: 2009-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 500 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 17/456
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts
Course: Pool swim at the HR rec center
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:54 | 12 miles | 19.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 35/456
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: North on foothills pkwy to right on town center, up hill to lucent, right on lucent to broadway, right on broadway, right on wildcat reserve, right on foothills parkway, X2
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:36 | 03.1 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 81/456
Performance: Bad
Course: Trail behind rec center
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-06 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, Florida
Subject: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

2009-06-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2199548

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon

good race for you!  Don't get too concerned about your speed on this course.  While I didn't do the race I know the area and the hills can be deceptively hard.  Nice job!

2009-06-06 10:49 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, Florida
Thanks for the kind words...yea not much flat in Highlands Ranch is there?   Overall it was a great day to race and I'm happy with the results especially since it was a last minute entry...
2009-06-07 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Nice job, great swim and bike and still a very good run, regardless of cramps (I've had this problem as well).  Broadway is definitely an uphill and in general, the course is challenging.  I had a similar issue last year with traffic, except it was actually a biker that rode right through the Lucent/HR Pkwy intersection.  The cars had stopped but the cyclist went right through with a cop just standing there.  I missed him by a few feet. 

2009-06-07 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Almost forgot!  May as well get used to getting chicked at most races.  There are some fast females around here... sigh.
2009-06-07 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, Florida
Haha yea...at least she was the only one that 'chicked me'  during the race (I think).  I'm okay with it though...as much as it is a hit to the ego...tri chicks that can smoke you are hot!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Tune Up Sprint Triathalon Rss Feed