General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 4s
Overall Rank = 511/884
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/43
Pre-race routine:

woke up spontaneously at 5 - made coffee, woke the boys and drove down the hill to wait in line to park. Walked the long way from parking to transition with the boys asking how far. Dropped them at volunteer tent and went to set up transition. Please tell me why my age group always is the farthest from bike in/out?
Event warmup:

does getting my wetsuit on count as warm up? The lake was ccccccooooollllld so was not sure how much I wanted to do. I did ultimately jump in to get the shock of it - .
Mostly stretched my shoulders out - a la Phelps (snerk like my slow azz could ever be close)
Swim
  • 35m 54s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

So the water was REALLY WICKED COLD!!!!!!! I actually could feel my oxygen consumption go up and had to breathe every stroke instead of every 3 - I did switch sides here and there. My face was so cold that I went to breast stroke just to get my face to warm up a bit. After rounding the buoy my core and face warmed up a bit but my hands and feet did not. In fact I could not feel my toes until 1 mile into the run. Thankfully they had wetsuit strippers because I do not think I could have gotten my wetsuit off! My hands barely got the zipper undone!
Even though I was ridiculously slow in the swim, even for me, I feel ok about it - I did not account for the current very well after rounding the bouy and added much yardage to my swim but I felt strong the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

If I ever decide to do another frigid swim practice in it so that I acclimate better
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I was so frozen that I had a really hard time getting my shoes on. I just persevered and then ran with my bike hoping to warm up a bit. Got to the mount line and got on.

learn to do a flying start. maybe.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 7s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I had fun and felt good. I did not try to kill it - I paced it like a HIM as I was using this race to peak for Patriot in 2 weeks. I definitely could have ridden faster and pushed it more - I was just out enjoying the scenery! I was cut off by cars 4 or 5 times - had to brake and actually stop. argh. and then at some crucial points (one in particular comes to mind) had riders NOT move over and had to brake to not crash....that was annoying but again grinned most of the ride and just felt strong and good. I did notice that my toes/feet were frozen the whole time - which bothered me a bit but c'est la vie

not a thing
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

My feet were still frozen so it was tough to get my running shoes on. I would like to learn how to get out of my bike shoes on the bike but will work on that for July and August, NOT Patriot in 2 weeks! I just persevered and got my shoes on.

be warm
Run
  • 1h 00m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

So given all the issues I have had recently with cramping and gallbladder pain I just took it easy and had fun - felt strong and healthy and pain free!!!! only walked one aide station and that was because I had to get water in.

probably run harder/faster
Post race
Warm down:

does my 'bust a move' pirouettes at the finish line count? walked around hung out with the boys and other racers I knew

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not trying to race this - using it as peak for Patriot. It was nice to feel good at the finish! I definitely feel strong at this distance, very different than how I felt last year! I really had FUN!!!!!! and I enjoyed the whole race!

Event comments:

Keith puts on a great race and I just had fun. Looking forward to Timberman and will sign up for Black Fly! Thinking the bike TT and oly.....The whole energy was great, so many volunteers, people on the lake cheering....I liked the whole thing.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:54 | 1640 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 653/884
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy helix
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:07 | 27.34 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Overall: 417/884
normalized power 175 watts
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: around the lake, which includes devil's hill with a devil at the top! then onto 3A - the only rough patch, turn onto 104 and then onto cass mill. rollers the majority.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:26 | 06.21 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 615/884
Course: out and back along the lake - hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2009-06-07 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2199920

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-07 1:27 PM

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

You sound really ready for Patriot in a few weeks...great job pacing this one!

As for the chill of frozen feet, early season cold water swimming convinced me that I didn't need to swim Mooseman.  Hadn't registered for it and wasn't planning to race it until an injured teammate suggested I help her put together a relay team.  Now I'm really glad I raced the bike/run and let her do the super-chilly swim!!  The warm, dry parts of Mooseman were just gorgeous.  

And just to rant with you a little...bike safety really needs to be emphasized in race prep and on the course.  There are too many riders who stay in the middle of the road ALL THE TIME and it's dangerous.  Right side riding after passing should be the RULE, not the exception.  And none of the "I don't want to be accused of drafting" excuses fly with me -- riders are either passing or should be heading back to the right.  Clear passing room is a must in a non-drafting and safely-ridden race.

Good luck on June 20th at Patriot!  

Cheers, -Sunny

2009-06-08 8:25 AM

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Congrats Cat.  Nothing better than having fun, prepping for an A race, and enjoying a beautiful course.  I think it's funny that your very easy bike average on a very hilly course was 18mph!
2009-06-08 9:09 AM

Pro
MA
Great job conquering the cold water and the hills.  Did you yell at the Red Devil Lady? 
One reason I didn't sign up for Mooseman is I don't want to suffer the cold water again.  No matter how much you prepare yourself with OWS, Newfound is always much colder. 
2009-06-08 9:13 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Great work Cat, you went nice and easy huh, LOL?   Very good effort, and it sounds like you had a ton of fun!!!

2009-06-09 6:48 AM
in reply to: #2201645

Champion
New York, NY
D.K. - 2009-06-08 10:09 AM Great job conquering the cold water and the hills.  Did you yell at the Red Devil Lady? 
One reason I didn't sign up for Mooseman is I don't want to suffer the cold water again.  No matter how much you prepare yourself with OWS, Newfound is always much colder. 

An expletive came out of my mouth as I neared the top of Devil's Hill - and she was standing there (as was the video guy) not so much AT her as a general comment about how I felt!!! Lots of guys were walking up.....

The hilll AFTER devil's hill hurt like heck!!!  Then after the turn onto 3A all was well......
2009-06-09 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2204266

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job, yeah that water took a bit to get used to.  I think my wife and I are going to head back up for Black Fly, thinking about doing all 3 events.

LOL, my 5 year old was out for almost 2 hrs in that water on Sunday with everyone standing around freezing, he was wearing swim shorts and rolling around in the water.

Edited by dalessit 2009-06-09 8:48 AM
2009-06-09 1:55 PM

Master
The Redlands, FL

Congrats on a excellent Race even all the circunstances....!!!

You did it Great!!! 

2009-06-10 8:12 AM

Champion
MA
First year I did Moose water was 55 nasty cold and since than cold water races don't excite me much.

Nice job out there!

I agree about bad riders in general I think the HIM had less as folks are more experienced. Why when someone passes you do they stay 5 feet out from right side of road? Or ride there when pavement is fine so it is hard to go around them without being close to yellow line. Cranberry was the worst I kept getting blocked in by folks.

Patriot...is getting closer day by day
2009-06-12 8:19 AM

Champion
New York, NY
thanks for the comments all - bumped for photos!

2009-06-12 5:19 PM

Elite

You make it look easy.  Great job.  TW

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed