General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Danskin
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 51s
Overall Rank = 301/1976
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 18/137
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3;45, had a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Picked up my daughter Kati, who was NOT ready to go and I had to wait 10 minutes for her. It was that or go alone, so I waited. Had half of a pb+j sandwich and more coffee in the car.
Event warmup:

Got in the water, next to a HUGE dead fish (like, YUK!) and swam out about 200 yards and came back and stretched. Had a GU and a bottle of water.
Swim
  • 17m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went off in the Survivor wave, in water start. Started off in front to the right. First buoy was REALLY hard to see, so I don't think I swam too straight. I was in the 5th wave. Caught up to the 4th wave, then the 3rd wave and ended up passing some from the second wave! I was first out of the water in my wave. Top 2% AG, top 3% overall! Whooo hooo, love the swim!
What would you do differently?:

Try and swim straighter, could have cut more time off.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Long run up a grassy slope to the transition area, was out of breath. Found my bike no problem, probably could have been faster getting into shoes.

Practice transitions more!
Bike
  • 40m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride, I passed LOTS of people, only a few passed me. Just a little wind. I did good on the hills, and even better on the downhills. Amazing how many were just coasting! On the uphills I put the bike in a spin gear and easily did them. Got out of the saddle on the short steep hill and one of the volunteers yelled, "You make it look easy!". Top 6% AG, top 7% overall!

Get a tri bike, I want to go FASTER!!!! Plus they are soooo sexy.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

The lady on the bike next to me had just finished the swim (her first tri)as I finished my bike (same wave!)... I gave her some words of encouragement, because I could tell she was already down on herself. Grabbed the Garmin off my bike. Put race number on before I took off for the run start.

I could have been a B*TCH and ignored the lady on the bike next to me, and probably have saved 15-20 seconds, but I just coudn't do that. I should have forgotten about the Garmin (it just pissed me OFF, see below) and grabbed the race number and put it on as I ran to the run start.
Run
  • 38m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So this leg totally pissed me off... I was so stoked by the swim and the bike and I just totally sucked at the run. I think I walked about half of it, I just couldn't get it going. My shoulders/neck got all tight, I was breathing hard, it was just awful and looking at the Garmin just made it worse! Just like last time, once I hit pavement I was okay. I didn't pass ANYONE, and lots of ladies passed me. As I was walking (and dying inside) the volunteers kept yelling, "You're doing awesome!) and if I wasn't so tired I probably would have yelled back, "Shut the F up you stinkin liars!
In spite of my "displeasure" with this run, I was still better than 47% AG and 40% overall.

Maybe I should have eaten the Shot Blocks I had taped to my bike, and it would have given me some run energy. Need to practice MORE BRICKS! Although legs were not bad, I was just tired overall. Need to do more trail type running. At least it was dry this time, but there were areas they had thrown down a bunch of mulch and it was hard to run on. If I can improve the run, I know I can improve my ranking immensely! Obviously the weak link in my race and I will be working hard on it this summer!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water, sat down and went over all the good and bad things with my daughter, then got an iced coffee, packed up and came home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stupid RUN!!!

Event comments:

So I did the course about 2 minutes faster than the Trek Tri. Should have been more than that if I didn't totally suck at the run. I was very happy with the swim and bike.

For the whole race I was top 13% in AG and top 15% overall! Imagine what I could do when my run gets better!

Last updated: 2009-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:27 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/137
Overall: 72/1976
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Swim straight out, make a right past 3 buoys then back to swim beach exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:20 | 12 miles | 17.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/137
Overall: 156/1976
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills, one short steep hill right after a 90 degree right turn, one BIG hill about a mile from T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:31 | 03.1 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/137
Overall: 1200/1976
Performance: Bad
Course: About three fourths was on grassy/dirt/mulch trails. Last third of a mile on pavement. Flats, uphills and downhills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin

2009-06-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2200244

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin

Great job on the swim and bike!  You rocked it!    The run will come - don't get discouraged!  I liked reading your race report and how you encouraged the other lady.  You probably helped her finish the race by your words!

2009-06-08 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Wow, great job out there! This was my third year doing the Danskin and 5th time on the course since the Longhorn tri uses the same course. I am FINALLY getting used to that run course and how hilly it is and how knowing what is coming next helps me to just keep plugging away, but it is a TOUGH run course! You are a super strong swimmer and great biker. Good luck with future training.

2009-06-08 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

great great race hilde! way to go on encouraging the other woman...in the big scheme of things, that's what this is all about! great job out there...can i borrow your gils?? 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon - Austin Rss Feed