Town of Pittsford
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 20s
Overall Rank = 1/131
Age Group = f40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/44
Pre-race routine:

28/313 total including the boys. Have to put 131 as total overall up above (131 is just females) or it makes my split stats look more impressive than they are!1st overall female. Total individuals racing 313. All my overall ranks below are just out of the females (131) and age group is f40-49 (44of us)

Up before the alarm at 5, time for breakfast and packing all very leisurely (still dark!!). Got to the race site (a 10min drive) at 6.10am. Set up transition, chatted with a few people then went for a warm up swim.
Event warmup:

My cap broke just as I was getting in. Lauren had a spare one which was wonderful because it saved me a trip back to my car where my spares were.
Practiced a few lengths and decided there was no way I could flip "in the wrong direction" under the lane lines so decided I'd just touch and push off.
Swim
  • 05m 9s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

rankings are for females only
Target was 5:15 (yippee beat it :) )
Prior to this year I have never caught anyone on this swim so it has been relatively easy. This year the girl in front of me says "just tap my toes and I'll let you pass" so I thought something was up. Anyway after about 75 I caught her and she had started doing a very W I D E breastroke so I had trouble going all the way round her. Then about 100 later I caught someone else who was not going to make it easy for me to get by. I ended up pushing off below him and fighting for some space when we surfaced. I knew the guy behind me was catching me (he admitted later that he was faster - my time was pretty much spot on I think) but I decided he could fight past me like I had to fight - but he must have got stuck a bit with them cos he never quite caught up with my toes.
What would you do differently?:

Hmm, it's only a littly diddly swim. My time is pretty stable from year to year so I suppose I could work harder to get faster but I get more gains from speed on bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

female 4/131, age group 2/44
target was 1:00 (boo :( )
My transitions are not so good so I was very surprised to see myself up high in the rankings. I'm not usually. Must have gone smoothly.
Oh I didn't sit down to put socks on (I usually do ) but no different to last year in time really so couldn't have made much difference

Socks a little sticky to get on despite rolling them and talc. Got to think about that because that's the only point I think I stuck on. (no i can't ride without them - or more to the point I can't run without them as I get blisters)
Bike
  • 44m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

rankings are for females only
Biking is my strong point. (I was 26/313 including the boys :) )
Target was 45:00 -yippee, got it :)
My strategy was one I picked up only a couple of weekends ago from a friend which was not to go less than 10mph on the hills. I had to really push myself (and I stood up a couple of times which I don't usually do) but I recover quickly so this works out.

I passed half a dozen people maybe and no one passed me :)

I am thrilled to have got over my 20mph average that I wanted. Nuff said!

Nothing. I love my biking. Oh wait - what do I need to do to shave 5mins off my time?
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

24/131 females, 4/44 age group
This is more like my transition rankings. What do I do in transition - boil the kettle for a cup of tea?
Target was 1:00 so I got that though

To be fair though, many of the really fast t2 times are those that are wearing sneakers on the bike so don't need to change.

Have tea ready in the flask rather than boiling the kettle
Run
  • 26m 39s
  • 3.35 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

rankings for females only
My breathing was way up and didn't calm down but it was only "tempo" type breathing so was manageable. This felt good (well as good as a run can feel at this stage).
My timing chip strap didn't stick properly so was flapping at one point so I had to stop and try and get that to attach better (Oh wow, may have cost me 5 seconds! - note that ridgelake). I was able to push it some on the home stretch but my kids said it didn't look like I was sprinting at the end - (I felt like I was!)
Didn't take any water.
I didn't overtake anyone and 2 men flew past me (yep I'm sure one of them was really flying he was so fast)
I felt good so was disappointed that (a) I didn't meet my target of 26:30 :( and (b) that my pace was above 8min miles - now changed - the course is 3.35miles(+) and that tips me just under 8minmiles :). There is some debate about length of this course though. I measure it as 3.35 on my garmin and others measure it more in which case I did get below 8min miles.

Running is still my weakness. Same old story. I'm trying OK?
Post race
Warm down:

Water, more water and some more. That's about it. Cheered on some people in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training hours

Event comments:

Nice local race. Good community and good support.

Last updated: 2009-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:09 | 300 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/44
Overall: 6/131
Performance: Good
time includes getting out of pool running out of building, across car park, down steps to transition area
Suit:
Course: Snake like up and down a 6 lane pool, starting at 15 second intervals
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:30 | 15 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/44
Overall: 1/131
Wind:
Course: This is not an easy course. It is pretty much rolling hills all the way
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:39 | 03.35 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/44
Overall: 8/131
Course: one loop around the roads. No really steep hills but there are some noticeable long, less steep inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Pittsford Triathlon

2009-06-07 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2200601

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Pittsford Triathlon

Nice job getting hardware and everything!

2009-06-07 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2200619

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
6th overall. Yes!
2009-06-07 10:26 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

You rocked the house on that course!  FIRST OVERALL WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just FANTASTIC!!!!

2009-06-08 7:01 AM

User image

Elmira, NY

Lack of training hours

LOL... Take a look at your log and tell me where you have been slacking off...  You rocked that course and embarresed a lot of guys who though they were going to pick you off 1) in the swim, 2) on the bike and 3) on the run.  The only place you gave somebody any chance of catching you was in transition... and that's because you added a few seconds to put socks on!  Great race... Great training and it looks like you had a great time.... Congratulations!

2009-06-08 7:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Congratulations Jackie on a great race and 1st place for all females!!!  It had to be a bit nerve wrentching having to wait through all the other finishers to find that out!!!

It was certainly good to see you again!!

2009-06-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2201312

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
yes, I knew I was 2nd girl in cos they announced that as I came in but when they kept saying I was still in the lead it was unbelievable!  Winning (and the sunglasses!) was icing on the cake but to be honest I was so thrilled with my time (particularly hitting my bike goal) that whatever happened I was a happy bunny (especially as I beat ridgelake   )
2009-06-09 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Awesome race Jackie! 
More training time??  huh.  Maybe if you didn't sleep.   
I'm working on getting your new avatar pic uploaded.  The sunglasses pic is awesome!  Cool
2009-06-09 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2201287

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

mtimofeeff - 2009-06-08 8:01 AM

Lack of training hours

LOL... Take a look at your log and tell me where you have been slacking off...  You rocked that course and embarresed a lot of guys who though they were going to pick you off 1) in the swim, 2) on the bike and 3) on the run.  The only place you gave somebody any chance of catching you was in transition... and that's because you added a few seconds to put socks on!  Great race... Great training and it looks like you had a great time.... Congratulations!

I can help you with your transitions Jackie!! Awesome race and congrats on ROCKIN' the BIKE!!! I'm looking forward to reading more of your race reports this year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed