HSBC
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 15s
Overall Rank = 222/257
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, made breakfast - oatmeal with raisins and flax seed and poached egg, 1 coffee. Made a protein/carb shake for the road. Ate both in the car at 6:15 - 7:00.

Did some minimal morning stretches before the drive. Things were feeling good.

Racked bike as soon as we got to site and then picked up registration packs. Nice shirts.
Event warmup:

First time doing a r/b/s warm up suggested in Triathlete's Training Bible. 10 minute easy Z1,2 to 3 run with 3-4 20-30" sprints at race pace for each of run, bike and swim. Tried to time swim w/u so done just before race start.

Did usual Core Performance Prehab/Movement Prep prior to warm up.
Swim
  • 17m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

212/257. Pretty happy with that. I know I can swim a 2.15 pace if I put on my race pace effort. Felt it was more important for the first OWS of the year to come away feeling positive and happy. Just wanted to be able to swim the 750 with no stops for breathing or stopping to sight. My sighting was done mid stroke. Other times in my age were 2.03; 2.07 and 2.15. I won't be swimming a 2.07 pace any time soon!
What would you do differently?:

Forgot to bring disposable water bottle to beach. I get SO thirsty before the race starts.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This is the first race where I put shoes on in transition and ran with them. Took a few seconds to get the shoes on. No socks. I have been practicing both ways and find that I can get the bike up to speed quicker this way. I used to dick around trying to get feet into shoes at the mount line and wasted too much time. Can't ride with feet on TOP of Specialized shoes because the velcro is too tight to wiggle foot into shoe. Some day I may get better shoes for this type of mount.

I would like to practice putting helmet on while taking wet suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 22s
  • 30 kms
  • 28.41 km/hr
Comments:

194/257 - Happy with cycling faster than 63 people when there might have been 2-3 people older than me in the race.

I was getting blown around alot on the east and west segments due to the strong combined crosswind and headwind riding east and then the crosswind riding west.

At the 18km mark my right hip started hurting, quite a bit and unfortunately had to still work the hills hard so by the time I finished the bike I my coccyx was so tight and locked up I could barely walk to transition. I believe I am having problems with this because I am not running enough short distances, often enough. For the last couple of weeks it has been like once a week and either fast, or hard (hills). Smarten up!

Forgot to take my gel at the 20km mark.

Ditch the Zipp wheels for windy race days. Need to buy another 10 speed cassette to use with trainer bike wheels which are good and then get a new set next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Couldn't run with bike because of locked up pelvis. Took a bit longer than my normal .45".

Not too much.
Run
  • 52m 10s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 06m 58s  min/km
Comments:

Could barely walk but decided to run anyway. Lots of walking - maybe 13 or more times. Had to stop once to rub tight left shin. Haven't had that problem in months. I really didn't think I was going to be able to make it, even walking, but maybe by 3.5 km pelvis was loosening a bit. Just tried to run tall and keep good form. But it was hard. Instead of my feet lifting, all I could hear was thud, thud, thud with my left foot.

Still happy with run given all the walking.

I know I can run a 6.10 pace for tri races, having done it often, and if I am in good working order and can run I believe I will get under 6.00 this year. Even if I ran a 6.30 pace, that would have placed me 2nd in age for run and overall.

Should probably say not run, but I don't think that would happen.
Post race
Warm down:

As usual, never get much done at the race. Walking around with friends and sitting around for a picnic. Once I got home, iced, hot bath, stretching, massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Locked pelvis.

Event comments:

Good race, but this was the first time there was no food left in tent - a few pieces of watermelon and grapes. There were some 'chicken dogs' though on the barbecue.

Last updated: 2009-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:34 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 212/257
Performance: Good
Didn't walk when the whistle went. Lots of people walked and dolphined. Started out a very comfortable pace and maintained that, sighting immediately and often. Swam a bit extra going east to west, but not too bad really.
Suit: YES
Course: Triangle. Out, then east to west and back to shore. Looks like the distance was fairly accurately measured this year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64C / 147F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:22 | 30 kms | 28.41 km/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 194/257
Performance: Good
Pushed as hard as I could right off the bat. Didn't wear HR monitor. Took opportunity on a couple of down hills to catch breath and coast. Pedalling and coasting got me the same speed.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Riding north for a bit then turning left for a rectangle course. Pretty much flat for the first 15km, then 3 hills before turning south. Turning west brings MORE hills and rolling hills. Usually into a headwind but today it was an East wind helping us, thankfully. Usually I lose 2km on this segment, but today gained 1km.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:10 | 07.5 kms | 06m 58s  min/km
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 236/257
Performance: Below average
Breathing was OK. No HR monitor.
Course: Not very nice really. Gravel and bumpy. Not really fond of this run. Kind of boring. I like twists and turns.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-07 6:31 PM

Master
Kitchener
Subject: Lakeside Triathlon - Long Course

2009-06-07 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2200624

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Lakeside Triathlon - Long Course

Congrats!  Great bike leg - #1 in AG   Too bad about the locked pelvis.  Take good care of it and hope you recover quickly.

Edited by patricia7 2009-06-07 8:53 PM
2009-06-09 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2200624

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed