CBHM, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 48s
Overall Rank = 142/1793
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/113
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start until 10:15 so I got up around 6:30 and a ate a blueberry muffin and drank some water. We had about an hour and fifteen minute drive from where we stayed up the start of the race. We ended up getting there at 9:15 so we had some time to kill.
Event warmup:

Didn't do anything. Just hung out for about an hour, hit the bathrooms and drank a little water.
Run
  • 1h 38m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great the first 6-7 miles and then I felt like I was already losing a little steam. I had a 7 min/mile pace going for the 1st 5 miles and then I started hitting in the 7:30 range and even had 2 miles over an 8 minute pace when I hit the 10-12 mile mark. I took a Hammer Gel at mile 4 and then took another at mile 8. It was HOT and I hit every water station. I walked through each one and drank a little and poured a little over my head.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I raced my best for this day. There were definitely more hills than I expected for this race. I think if I would of realized how close I was to a PR I would of kicked it in a little harder the last half mile. Since I'm racing next Saturday I didn't want to overdue it but I was only 10 seconds shy of my race in 2006.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some water and walked around a little and waited for everyone else to finish. My quads were all shaky after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My injury and lack of running leading up to the race. I also haven't done enough hill running OR speed work.

Event comments:

Overall this is a great race. Nice scenery and plenty of volunteers. They did run out of beer though before I made my may over to the tent. Their effort toward recycling all paper, plastic and compost after the race was impressive.

Last updated: 2008-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:48 | 13.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/113
Overall: 142/1793
Performance: Average
(1) 6:55 (2) 6:48 (3) 6:59 (4) 7:02 (5) 7:18 (6) 7:22 (7) 7:26 (8) 7:48 (9) 7:32 (10) 8:03 (11) 7:52 (12) 8:14 (13) 7:48 last part 1:48 (My Garmin was a little off each mile..It would ring anywhere from 10 yds to 30 yds before their mile makers - My Garmin said 13.23)
Course: The first 4 miles or so is mostly a gradual decline with some flats. After that it's a mix of some gradual hills and flats until right around mile 8 where you take a left and head up a pretty steep hill. The scenery was great. We crossed over one covered bridge which was cool. After the hill at mile 8 we headed down the back side and hit some more flats and then the last 4 miles or so was rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes