United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 14s
Overall Rank = 22/244
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Busy week which left no time to get anything ready before Friday evening. Most important was getting the bike ready; cleaning, changing cassettes putting on race wheels. Late dinner...ordered a pizza at 9:00PM (next time I will not repeat this), got to bed about 11:00 and the dogs got me up from deep sleep at 3:00AM. Walked to dogs, granola w/ bananas for breakfast at 4:30 and out the door at 5:00AM. Arrived at Boulder Res at 5:45, probably the 10th person there. Plenty early to pick up packet and get a choice spot in Transition.
Event warmup:

Wet suit on about 30 minutes before the start, swam about 200m for warm-up, got used to the water and felt pretty good,. Ready to race at 8:05 with the 2nd wave (35+ Men)
Swim
  • 09m 6s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Another poor swim. Chose a bad starting spot at the front on the right and got squeezed, kicked, swam over and generally beat up. I lost focus and really struggled around the first and second buoys. Finally found some good water after rounding the second buoy on the way back in. Settled down and finished OK but this was a very disappointing swim.
What would you do differently?:

I think I'm better off starting toward the back of the pack and waiting just a bit to allow the congestion to mitigate. I probably would loose 30 seconds at the start, but that's better than loosing twice that or more trying to deal with the crowd. What is really disappointing is I was confident and feeling good about the swim at the start.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Timing mat was right at the water exit and not at the entrance to T1...so transition included the run up from the water. That said, this transition was OK. My HR was spiked after my crappy swim so I didn't sprint out of the water to Transition..just kinda jogged. Suit came off, bike shoes and helmet on OK. No issues.

Nothing
Bike
  • 45m 59s
  • 17 miles
  • 22.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike for me at this point in the season. I do not think I would have wanted to go any harder as it would have really killed my run. HR monitor indicated I was right at LT for the bike, so pacing and effort was measured and good.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Good transition, in and out fairly quickly. Actually passed a couple people in transition (who passed me right back on the run, of course). If all my transitions go this well, I will be satisfied.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I really don't thin I could have gone any harder at the time, so in that regard it was a good a run as I should have expected. That said, I felt going into this race, that I could and should for sure run under 24, and close to 23....so to say I wasn't a bit disappointed with my run would not be true. I shall need to keep working on this, I'm really getting tired of losing 5-10 places overall on the run..every race.

I don't know that I would have done anything differently. My HR indicated I was going as hard as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrate, load stuff up and get some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Below average swim mostly attributed to selecting a poor starting spot.

Event comments:

The only issue has to do with the timing, once again. I had expressed a concern with the timing at last years race and this year they again had a problem with downloading times. As a result, the age-group awards were to be based on guesses, not actual results. I thought I may have placed in my age group, but I really wasn't sure and, as such headed home, skipping the awards. As it turned out, I did place in my age group and would gladly have stayed had I known. Disappointing, especially for such an otherwise well run event. Official results were available online by 10PM race day.

Last updated: 2009-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:06 | 547 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 76/244
Performance: Below average
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: Rectangle, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:59 | 17 miles | 22.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 11/244
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangular Loop, slightly uphill and into the light wind the first half. I think the course was a little longer than 17mi; I had 17.5
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:15 | 03.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 43/244
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, mostly gravel, mostly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes