General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 17m 9s
Overall Rank = 11/884
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/69
Pre-race routine:

3 hrs before the arec I ate 1xwheat bagel, drank like 24oz of apple juice, drank one 5 hr energy 1 hr before the race and drank like 24oz of heed during the last hr leading up to the race
Event warmup:

I got in the water like 5 min just to get used to the cold water and avoid a cold shock and hyperventilanting at the swim start. (it worked!)
Swim
  • 23m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

tough swim; water was too damn cold but the warm up help a lot just to get used to it. I started strong and latched onto the fast swimmers feet but one of them kicked some water at the same time I was breathing and I swollow water hence I had to stop as I was chocking. I recovered within a few seconds but lost the fast group. I managed to get into a rhythm with the next pack but my arm was beginning to hurt too much so instead of pushing through and go for a fast time I just took it easy and glided as much as I could.
What would you do differently?:

not much given my arm/shoulder pain
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I was freezing coming out of the water hence when I got to my T area instead of getting my helmet on and leave with my bike I puss out and took my time to get some warm clothes on. I took my cycling jacket out of my back back, put on socks, my hands were numb so it took me a while to put my gels onto my jacket back puckets. It took me like 1-1:30 min longer of my usual time and that would cost me dearly at the end.

Since it was the 1st tri of the season my mind set wasn't 100% in racing mode. I didn't care for the fastest time possible as much as been able to have a solid race and take my time. Also I need to learn to suck it up even if I am freezing my mexican ass...
Bike
  • 1h 14m 20s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 22.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I was still freezing on the bike (toes were numb) and it took me a while to warm up. I was a bit out of it the 1st 10 miles until I saw the distance and that sort of made me realized I wasn't pushing as much as I should. At that point I tried to focus and began working. Only 3 guys passed me on the bike but one stayed on site all a long. The race was pretty clean and I almots rode alone the entire ride. once I got my mind into the race I had a decent ride but my legs felt flat which always happens to me when I dont train the few days leading to a race. It wasn't on purpose but I won't let it happen again. Also I didn't remember the course is rather hilly so that surprised me a bit and I ended up pushing harder on the 2nd part of the course and that cost me a bit because my ride wasn't evenly pace and it was very variable.

suck it up even if I am cold and get going from the getgo. Otherwise I still need lots of work to do cycling wise but it is a work in process
---
Nutrition:
1 gel 10 min into the bike, 24 oz of Heed for entire ride, 1 gel 10 min before ending the bike
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I was still cold and since I had the jacket on it took cost me extra time taking it off. I also had problem racking my bike and it felt over so that cost some time as well.

meh, not much I was just cold and rusty but that's why we do practice races :)

Run
  • 35m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was the only thing of the day that went well although I had a rough spot. Coming off the bike my feet were totally numb due to the cold so it took me a bit to get going. I came off the bike like 6-7 places behind and from the getgo I began catching people. By half way I was 5th on my wave and I could see the 4th place. I began digging deep and running as fast as I could but by mile 4ish I began having a side stitch and I slowed down a bit. I didn't want to walk so I sucked it up and began breathing like a pregnant woman in labor and within a few minutes I was able to control the pain :) within another few minutes I got back into my normal speed and keep moving but lost the chance to catch 4th place. I finished strong and while the run was very painful I felt awesome with my split. The run course it is known to be short but this year they moved the finish line since the last time I raced there and it felt it was close to 6.2 miles. I mapped it on the USA track and field website and it indeed comes closeso I am more thrilled after knowing that.

Focus on my breathing all along to avoid side stiches, otherwise nothing much. I am happy how my running is coming along specially since I have only logged two months of 100 miles each of running for April and May.
---
Nutrition:
drank some G-ade and water as needed. not too much though.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, drank endurox, got swim knickers and ate some burgers and a coke

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. 1st tri-race of the season hence I was rusty
2. Mind was not 100% on racing mode
3. Cold water and arm/shoulder injury
4. My p*ssynitis to handle cold weather
5. Bad transition.

Although it might not seem like it by some of my comments on this RR I am very happy with the result. I had a bad arm yet I have a descent swim, I don't perform as well on cold conditions yet I had an ok bike and even with average run training my run fitness is coming along very nice and allowed to post the 2nd fastest run of the day.

This race feeds more my motivation to keep on working harder. Plus if I wouldn't had bad transitions and a busted arm I could have finished 5th or 6th place, but whatever, the point is that I've been having solid work done and it is beginning to pay off. Yet I have much more work to do and I am looking forwad to keep on busting my ass. Finally I hope I can bounce back quickly from this arm issue...

Event comments:

Amazing race. Keith Jordan races are the best and his organization is top notch. At the awards ceremony he remembered I posted on BT I had my arm injured which tells me how much he cares about the races and participants and he posts here and other forums.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 44/884
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:14:20 | 27.34 miles | 22.07 mile/hr
Overall: 24/884
Performance: Average
238 NP, 224 watts, VI 1.06
Wind: Some
Course: rolling course with hills and turns
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:43 | 06.21 miles | 05m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 2/884
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 8:34 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2009-06-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2201509

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance
Congrats on the hardware. 
Mooseman start is always cold, to a point people get hypothermia (I saw in last year's HIM a guy very disoriented and shivering at T1 that it took him 10 min to put on his socks).  Then it might get hot.  Last year it was 57 °F in teh water and at the end of the oly it air temp was high 80s.
Anyways, way to go pushing through.  I knew you would win something.
2009-06-08 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Geebus Jorge!!!!  That is awesome!!!  Congrats on the Hardware and a most stellar race, even though you could have went faster in certain area's and were not in "full race mode" according to your comments.  Congrats on a great time and awesome finish!!!  You are an inspiration to us all!!!

2009-06-08 10:25 AM

User image

Master
PA
Awesome job, Jorge!

Your transitions sound like a comedy of errors.  Especially the bike falling over.    The race was what you wanted it to be...practice, see where your fitness is, etc.  Mission accomplished.  You rock. 
2009-06-08 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Congrats Jorge!!!!

2009-06-08 1:40 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race, Jorge!  Nice job ending it strong with a blazing run!

2009-06-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2202803

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job Jorge, lol, you were almost back when I started out on my run.  Congrats on the AG win.
2009-06-09 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Jeeze you are fast! I missed my one chance to beat you at Steelhead last year, and now I know, never again will that be possible

Congrats! Love the pic with the moose!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed