United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 39m 36s
Overall Rank = 93/245
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/30
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in the dorms on Saturday. Dinner in town, then caught Game 5 of the Stanley Cup on the TV in the dorm rec. room. Couldn't watch anymore at 4-0, and it only got worse. In bed at 11:00 and up at 5:00.
Event warmup:

A little bit of stretching after I set up my transition. Thought about going for a quick dip in the lake ahead of my wave, but didn't make it down to the water in time. Score This! runs a tight ship, and we were off on schedule.
Swim
  • 24m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not too bad here. Seeded myself front and center and managed to pull away from the bulk of the wave within the first hundred yards. Made for a very smooth and un-congested swim, but also limited opportunities for drafting. I sighted decently even with buoys on my non-breathing side. Good decision to mix in a little breaststroke, since I haven't put in too many long freestyle swims this spring. That was the theme of the day in many ways: just tried to keep things on an even keel without any dramatic highs or lows. Stayed within my current limits thanks to good decision making.

Swim exit took us up a flight of wooden stairs. Heard various spectators and volunteers warning athletes to take it easy on the way up. Just after thinking to myself, "Of course, I'll be careful...Why wouldn't I be careful?" I face planted in a sprawled-out heap of soggy neoprene, eliciting groans and gasps from everybody who had a chance to see. Scraped up my foot and shin, but the worst injury was to my ego. Didn't want to be THAT guy, but I guess it was my turn. Oops.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Pretty winded after the debacle on the steps and the run into transition. Tried to slow things down and collect my thoughts a bit. Struggled with my wetsuit a bit, which was unusual. One of the early season kinks, I guess. Also had a little misfire clipping in at the mount line, but then I was on my way.
What would you do differently?:

Not the best transition of my life, but certainly not a disaster.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Like the swim, my success here was modest, but it mostly hinged on staying within my current limits. Miles 10-15 included some long and steep climbs, and I spent a lot of time here spinning in my granny gear. Lost a lot of speed and power compared to the big horses, but it kept my legs fairly fresh for the back half, where I managed to open things up a bit on the downhill portions and on the flats. Hoped to see something closer to 20 mph, but I can't be too disappointed this early in the season.

What would you do differently?:

Need to work on my turnarounds. Skidded a bit heading into the first barrel. Slow and wide at the next one.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Meh.
Run
  • 51m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I always hope to see sub-50:00 on the run, but that's a rarity for me. This wasn't too bad, actually. I went out a little bit too fast, then mixed a few one minute walking breaks into the back half when I felt my HR heading skyward. It's discouraging to walk like that, but this was another good decision in the large scheme of things. Kept me from blowing up in the last couple of miles and took a little pressure off of my knee, which has been dicey recently. I wouldn't call this the most gutsy run ever. I definitely could have pushed harder. But again, I'm probably better off at this point in the season laying off a bit and sparing myself total exhaustion and/or injury. Endurance will come with continued training.
Post race
Event comments:

It's my second fastest OLY result, so I have to be pleased. Still plenty of room for improvement, but I'm satisfied to be racing in the middle of my AG at this stage in the season. We'll see where I am next month when it's time to line up for Musselman.

Last updated: 2009-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:43 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 37/245
Performance:
Suit: De Soto T1 Black Pearl Full
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle with the long leg parallel to the shoreline.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:09 | 24.85 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 132/245
Wind: None
Course: Even with a lot of recent patches, this was a pretty rough ride. Potholes and ruts forced riders to stay on their toes. There was also a fair amount of traffic which officials and volunteers struggled to manage, I thought.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:10 | 06.21 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 125/245
Course: Out and back along the lake shore.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon (Olympic)

2009-06-08 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2201675

User image

Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon
Great job!  Hey, I was "that" person, as I was last out of the water by FAR for my wave!!! 
2009-06-08 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon (Olympic)
Nice race! I almost did the same thing on the stairs, so I'm sure you weren't the only one!
2009-06-08 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Great race! I too was worried about the stairs, glad it didn't derail you.

2009-06-08 3:37 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Very nice result for an early season race.   That is a really tough course for early season.  And to put up your 2nd best personal Oly time is a very nice finish indeed!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed