United States
Score-This
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 31s
Overall Rank = 125/319
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/24
Pre-race routine:

We stayed the night before the race at my mom’s house in the apartment. The baby slept great, so no problems there. My friend Neil who I talked into doing the race also stayed with us. Apparently he had spent his entire day making sure he was well hydrated and was up to the bathroom every ½ hour the entire night. He did fall asleep and made us feel right at home. (We have an English bulldog, Bentley, who likes to put his head under the bed and snores relentlessly through the night. Neil filled in nicely for Bentley and I was whisked to sleep by the chainsaw like groans coming from his air mattress).

Neil and I were up early, 4:45, ate a blueberry bagel and to the race by 5:30. I picked up my packet, set up my transition area and got my body markings. I was glad that we arrived early. The transition area was virtually empty and I was able to take my time and get a good spot.
Event warmup:

I got into the water before the start of the race and swam a few yards. The water was 61, so it was cold but not unbearable.
Swim
  • 14m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first open water swim in years and my first ever with a wetsuit. I know I should have gotten into the water a few times before, but I am comfortable in the water and was not worries about it.

We started from about waist deep water. I was on the outside of the group about two rows back. The first 100 yards or so there was a lot of contact. I didn’t get kicked, but lots of people swimming into/over each other. I knew this was coming and didn’t let it get me worked up. Things thinned out by the time we reached the first buoy and I was doing a good job sighting. I was on my own until the next buoy and got into a nice rhythm, looking up every few strokes to make sure I was on course. I met up with a few other swimmers at the second buoy and was able to find some feet for awhile, which was nice. I lost the feet after a few minutes and found another pair at the final turn. I increased my speed for the last 100-150 yards and had plenty left in the tank. Overall my swim went relatively well. I stayed calm and just focused on where I was going.

What would you do differently?:

This will apply to all of my events, but train more, specifically in the wetsuit. I also need to concentrate on my stroke while I am swimming. I would let my mind wander and lose my focus/form (this will be a common theme). I also think I need to do a better job drafting. For the little time that I was able to latch onto someone’s feet I could really feel the difference. Maybe next time I’ll try to jump out and see if I can hang on to some better swimmers. Also, I need to remember to put body glide on my arm pits. It didn’t hit me until I started to run, but the chaffing did hurt.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

As soon as you exit the swim there is a short run and then a fairly long flight of stairs. My heart rate was high because I pushed it in the last part of the swim and it seemed like I just couldn’t move my feet as fast as I wanted to. I got up the stairs and to my bike without a problem. One of the legs on my wetsuit got caught on my heel and it took me a few tries to finally get it off. I bent down to put my helmet on and get my socks and got a little light headed and dizzy. I took a few deep breaths, tried to calm down and finished putting everything one.

I would practice my transitions after my workouts. I had run through them a few times when I was fresh and thought I would just fly through them. It’s a lot different being winded and wet and trying to hurry. Buckling my bike shoes also took a little longer than expected. I can see why they have tri specific bike shoes. I need some new shoes, so maybe I can justify them on the time they will save me in t1?
Bike
  • 47m 16s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into the race I had no idea how to pace myself. Unfortunately, I also forgot to put my Garmin on my bike during my setup. The roads were rough and you really had to watch where you were going to avoid the deep pot holes. I had a decent pace going in the beginning, but I think I got lazy and just fell into a comfortable pace. Part of the reason I did this was that I wanted to make sure I didn’t blow up on the run. I was passed by one or two people in my age group and I should have worked harder to stay with them. I did do a good job of working the down hill sections of the course and was able to catch a number of people. I will also need to work at staying in the drops for the entire race. As I said I would get comfortable, sit up and it wasn’t until someone went flying by me did I think to myself, you are in a race, get going.

More time in the saddle. Focus. Work on pacing and staying in the drops.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This transition was much better for me. I didn’t try any flying dismounts or anything, just stopped jumped off the bike and ran into the transition area. I racked the bike quickly pulled my shoes off and slipped the running shoes on. I think the only thing I could have done to make it quicker was run faster.

Maybe practice some flying dismounts and run faster.
Run
  • 25m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

What happened to my legs? Am I going to have to walk? Those were the first two questions that came to mind when I started to run. I knew the feeling would go away, so I just picked someone to follow and kept working. Sure enough, after about half a mile I got my legs back. I really wish I had remembered my garmin because it helps me make sure I keep working. I knew from the bike that there was no one from my age group directly in front of me. Also, this being my first tri I wasn’t sure what I had left in my legs. I made the decision to sit at a comfortable pace and that if anyone from my age group came along, I would stick with them and out kick them. Unfortunately, no one from my age group ever came. This allowed me to stay at a slower pace. I picked it up for the last half mile. Looking back I should have pushed myself harder. I think part of my hesitation was not knowing how the bike would impact my run. That being said, at some point I should have made the decision just to go. If I was just running the course as a 5k, I think I could have gone around 20:30. So to add 5 minutes to that after my swim and bike I think is too much. I had the legs, I just needed to use them and suffer through it.

HTFU. Now that I have a race under my belt it is time to test my limits and see what I can do.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) My lack of training with the new baby/job. I need to make/stick to a training program that is realistic and challenging at the same time
2) Lack of experience. Now that I have completed a triathlon I think I have a better idea of what to expect from my body. I’ll be able to pace better and test my limits.

Last updated: 2009-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:30 | 750 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/24
Overall: 96/319
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless 19
Course: Counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:16 | 13.8 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/24
Overall: 129/319
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 118/319
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2009-06-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2202353

User image

Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon
Congratulations!  You did a great job!!  Yeah, that beer last night was the best in a long time!!!
2009-06-08 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Very cool!  Congrats on the 1st race!  Sounds like you took a lot away from the race as well.  How did your buddy do?
2009-06-08 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Congratulations triathlete!  Sounds like you had a good first race, learned lots, and are ready to apply it all to your training.  Way to go.   Aren't bricks just awful?!?!!?
2009-06-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2202436

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

My buddy accomplished his two goals which were:
1) Don’t drown during the swim
2) Finish 
He even said that he was thinking of doing another one later this year. 

2009-06-08 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Congrats! Nice race. Looks like we both broke out tri-cherries on the same day. Now we have something to measure against.

2009-06-08 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
congrats on your first triathlon! you did great
2009-06-08 1:23 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

great race and report!

I love your warm down strategy...Smile

2009-06-08 2:13 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I think you did a great job.  If this was your holding back, mindless performance I shudder to think what you are going to do to your AG competitors when you remember your Garmin and put the hammer down!  Nice stuff.

Suzy
2009-06-08 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Great first race!
2009-06-08 2:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Very nice! Sounds like you are ready to rock this sport now. Enjoy training with a baby in the house!

2009-06-08 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Staying calm in the waters sets up the whole race, IMO. Nice work there.

The feeling of dead legs you describe on the run is very familiar to me. Good job working yourself back into race mode.

Sounds like a very successful debut.

2009-06-08 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Awesome job! First race too? Good stuff! Sounds like you're ready for another soon!

2009-06-08 9:09 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

Awesome job!

2009-06-08 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Oh sure blame the kid.  No.  GREAT job.  You kicked my on the run.  How'ed mom sleep with all chainsawing going on?
2009-06-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2204012

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Great job, glad you were able to get the wetsuit worked out.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed