Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 35s
Overall Rank = 272/549
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 17/33
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:50, had a pb& honey sandwich, brought a banana, waited in hotel lobby for my ride to the race, so hubby and kids wouldn't have to get up so early.
Event warmup:

Got in the water for a few minutes just to get wet.
Swim
  • 40m 31s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I have to say that I am surprised at how badly I fared in the swim. I didn't feel like I was going slow, but, man, I was definitely BOP in this swim. My lower legs started to cramp up on the last third of the swim and when I stood up to get out of the water, they went crazy. It was a long, painful run to transition. I have no idea why they cramped up on me, and that has never happened before in an OWS. The swim definitely felt longer than I expected it to feel, but overall, I am disappointed in my performance in relation to the field.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on keeping a fluid strok when I sight. I think I slow down every time I look. I also need to work on rounding the buoys faster, and maybe trying to catch some feet now and then.
Transition 1
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

super fast, since I wasn't riding the bike!!

Bike
  • 3h 05m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

My team mate did an awesome job on the bike!! There is no way I could have ridden this course as fast as he did!! Thanks, Tom!
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

See T1.
Run
  • 2h 11m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This course was the most difficult run course I have ever run. The first 2.5 miles felt great, but it was mostly flat and downhill. The next 7 miles were hill after hill. I really tried to move fast on the downhills because I was speed-walking up some of the steeper hills. I got passed by a lot of people, which was discouraging considering I didn't even ride the bike! My best stand-alone HR was 2:06 four years ago. I expected to do better than that, because I am in much better shape now than then, but the course just kicked my butt.
What would you do differently?:

Train more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my husband and kids at the amusement park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills. I also think I need to work more on my speed overall.

Event comments:

This was an awesome race. I loved racing with the pros. I saw a lot of the pro women finishing up as I was beginning the run. The race was very well-organized, especially for being a first race for Rev3. I raced as a member of Team Trakkers, so I got to help out on Saturday, too, and that was interesting to see some of the behind the scenes stuff. The location was great for the kids, although my husband was probably more tired than me at the end of the weekend. A HIM is not the best race to bring a 2 and a 6 year old! Rev3 is going to start a series next year with some different lengths, and I think it is going to be something to watch.

I do think the course was incredibly difficult. Not having done a HIM all by myself it's hard to say how I would have fared, but I think the bike would have kicked my butt even more than the run. If anything, it just makes me want to work harder than ever to improve.

Last updated: 2009-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:31 | 2310 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/33
Overall: 416/549
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Ultrafull
Course: Counter clockwise diamond
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:05:37 | 56 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/33
Overall: 216/549
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/33
Overall: 313/549
Performance: Average
Course: Figure eight with the first 8.5 miles being an out and back, and then another shorter loop.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: Revolution3

2009-06-08 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2203090

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Connecticut
Subject: RE: Revolution3
I raced it too. Well said.
2009-06-09 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
This was a really tough race and you had to do the swim and the run! You did great on the run considering you had already spent 40 min swimming then had to sit around for about 3 hrs. I only did the swim and I was pooped for the rest of the day.
2009-06-09 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
I did he bike and drove the run course the day before.  Wow, talk about hilly.. Wasn't easy!! Nice job out there.
2009-06-10 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hey, Kelly!  Sorry to hear about the difficulties you had with the swim, but it sounds like you at least were able to take away a couple good lessons and things on which to improve.  Giving yourself slack when it comes to racing hills for which you haven't trained is always a good idea.  I've heard from all over this course kicked the butts of the best, so you should walk away proud!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Rss Feed