United States
Hawaii Swim
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 37s
Overall Rank = 175/275
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up super early to get us out the door early...all to get a parking spot within the park ~ and a good bike spot also!
Event warmup:

Very short slow jog around park and stretching.
Swim
  • 14m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt like I forgot how to swim...being able to touch (and get poked and scraped by) the reef really played with my mind as I'm ok as long as I can't touch anything in the water. I was playing cat and mouse with one girl who just kept swimming over me when I feel elbows and knees everywhere...I lookup to see we had run into the guys. Being a triangular course I think we were all just heading up the middle from both directions!
What would you do differently?:

Keep repeating to myself "the reef is not going to get you...the reef is not going to get you...." Ok, seriously, I'm not sure what I could have done other than calm myself down....OH, and practice OWS more!
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

It's funny...a couple of us had talked about how we get the sand off our feet and I refuse to bring a bucket with me but I did have a water bottle and a small towl BUT come time to use them, I picked up what I thought was my water bottle only to find it was the girls next to me and that's when I realized that I didn't pull mine out of my bag. I though "oh well," a couple of the other guys had said they don't really do anything but put there shoes on so here goes...I threw on my sox and shoes and off I went!

Should I get a sand box so I can do realistic training?! ;)
Bike
  • 32m 32s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I am so suprised that I do as well as I do on the bike. As I'm passing everyone, I start to question whether or not I'm going to fast but I felt really comfortable so I stayed at that pace.

Maybe work on speed while taking on Kole Kole?!
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

I really don't know what takes me so long...it's not like I sit down and have a sandwich in there...
Ok, actually I do...my hands shake while trying to tie my shoes and I wind up fumbling with the dang things ~ must the laces insist on getting the best of me?!

Practice, practice, practice and maybe some of those cool speed lace thingys that I've seen people wear!! :)
Run
  • 26m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I am totally stoked about my time. It has been a long time since I've seen less than 9 min/miles!!! BUT, that dang stomach pain hit me as soon as I got on the road. It has been a few months since that has plaqued me so I thought it was gone ~ I guess not! I'm not sure if I took off too fast or if it had to do with drinking too much/not enough (although I feel like if anything it would have been too much) or what the heck happened. So, I slowed my pace down a bit and while it hit me now and then during the run I was able to (mentally) work thru it!
Now, with all that being said, passing people I knew and had just met and "talking" to them is real motivation...but I've never been one to deny I get my motivation from others!! :) I even had one girl go "drill sergeant" on me as I was nearing the finish line and she was just starting out! Too funny!!

Find out what the hell is causing that pain!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with hubby and Sammi, said bye to friend and her kiddo who had come to watch then chatted it up with some fellow BTers while watching the "fun filled" awards ceremony! I may have thrown a stretch or two in there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind on the swim and stomach pain on the run!

Event comments:

Waiting in a long a$$ line for a dixie cup of water after the race? Seriously??? I saw that and went to transition to find my own water bottle!!

Last updated: 2009-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:57 | 400 meters | 03m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 0/275
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Triangular thru the reefs ~ uuuggghh!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:32 | 10 miles | 18.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 147/275
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out (with a small loop) and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:09 | 03.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 179/275
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: North Shore Triathlon

2009-06-08 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2203190

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: North Shore Triathlon
Congrats on your first full tri, you had an awesome time.  That reef would have freaked me out too!  You should be very proud of yourself!
2009-06-08 5:10 PM

User image

Ft Bragg, North Carolina
Good job on the race.
The line for the water was a surprise. I went the the transition area too. Unfortuately I ate some muffins before the "water line" and I was nearly gagging on the muffins as they sucked the last bits of moisture out of my mouth.
2009-06-08 6:15 PM

Nice race.

Getting to the post-race munchies before the crowd always gives me a bit of motivation to go faster... or slower... just not in the middle. =)

Stomach pain, for me, can be too much fluid. Occasionally, its because I just pushed too hard on the bike. Though, for a sprint, I don't think you can push too hard... its what you do.

As for hydration/nutrition... I saw multiple bikes with 2+ Gus and 1-2 water bottles. Really? My last sip of food is 2-3 hours before the race. My last water/coffee is an hour before the race, except maybe a couple sips from the drinking fountain right before the race. No food/water on the bike, none in transition, only a mouth rinse at the lone run station and dumped over my head.

I sweat pretty good... but I've never dried-up during hour long race. I don't think its possible. =)

Maybe try that out... don't make your stomach work so hard... and if you finish the race super thirsty, but still sweating... you've done good.

Of course, *warning* YMMV.
2009-06-08 10:38 PM

User image

Regular
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Love the sand box training idea! Absolutley hysterical! You may start a new transition training trend!

A piece of advice...get speed laces!!! You'll love them and it will take a huge chunk off of your T2 time. You slip the shoes on and go. You don't have to worry about fumbling with knots. Seriously, get them.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the dixie cups in my report. I wonder what it says that I chose to gripe about the lack of prota potties vice the miniscule cups

Great job out there. You did pretty darn well in your age group, so you should be proud. Keep charging and set your sights on that next tri!
2009-06-09 12:08 AM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Awsome job on you first TRI.

You need to get some Yanks for your shoes they are the only way to go.

2009-06-09 1:39 AM

User image

Veteran
All I can say is WOW! Great job there Studette! You're an inspiration. And despite what you say, I got a lot of motivation from you. When we recognized each other on the run, I was lifted up a bit from the smile/look on your face. You were grinning from ear to ear, it was awesome! Time to start training for Tinman!
2009-06-09 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great race!!!  Go get the sandbox, at least you daughter can use it when you are not practicing transitions   Congrats!
2009-06-09 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Congrats on your first tri!  WTG!
2009-06-10 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job on the 1st Tri!!! After all this time I didn't realize you were so fast!
2009-06-15 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Great job! I actually like the speed laces, I change the strings out as soon as I get a new pair of sneaks.  I use a water bottle and small bucket (the pink one from the hospital) to wash my feet off then step on the towel, no socks the last time and no problems.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Shore Triathlon Rss Feed