General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Dimas, California
United States
Tri Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 07m 41s
Overall Rank = 217/294
Age Group = CLY
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Event warmup:

5 Minute swim
Swim
  • 31m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water is calm so it is easy to swim. The buoys were difficult to see which made it difficult to navigate. One of the buoys was on top of a concrete structure in the water and several of us almost ran into it and had to go around. Other than that it was a good swim for me never really found anyone to draft.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster and not run into a concrete structure.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Normal transition for me except I forgot to wash my feet off and started running out of transition, I decided to turn back and wash them off as they were covered in sand. I attempted to mount my bike with the shoes attached which did not go as well as it does in training. I believe it was mostly because of the steep hill exiting transition. I ended up walking my bike 20 yards up the hill.

Hurry up, do not forget to wash my feet off and maybe rubber band my shoes up on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Bonelli is not an easy bike course and I spent most of the first lap managing my heart rate. The next two laps went well and my overall average speed was 3.2 Mph more than the last time I raced this course. Coming into transition was the defining moment of my race as I crashed yards from the dismount. I was getting out of my shoes and did not notice how much speed I gained going down the short steep hill. When I realized and braked the fabulous carbon wheel stopping ability bit me. The wheels locked up and I was in a two wheel skid hit the curb and rolled into the dirt, pine needles and pine cones. I got up bleeding on my back, legs, feet,arms and hands collected my bike and limped into transition.

Not crash coming into transition. More practice mounting my bike with the shoes clipped in and maybe rubber band them. Get out of my shoes before going down the steep hill into transition.
Transition 2
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

I was disoriented from the crash and trying to access the damage. The big problem was my ankle and knee were banged up. I had a brief argument in my head and convinced myself to not DNF and HTFU and go run. I put on my running shoes and race belt and left my bike helmet on and started running out of transition and had to go back and drop my helmet off.

Not crash on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 01m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile really hurt, but I kept running and everything started to feel better. Several competitors and volunteers commented on the blood all over my right leg. My pace was definitely slowed, but I was able to run the entire way.

Not crash on the bike.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Have I mentioned crashing on the bike? I need more practice with transitions.

Event comments:

I used this race as a final tune up for VineMan Ironman 70.3. I did not taper and treated it as a high intensity training day. I need to work on transitions and getting in and out of my shoes.

Last updated: 2009-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 204/294
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:27:15 | 24.85 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 180/294
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:01:08 | 06.21 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 240/294
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-08 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

2009-06-08 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2203939

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3

Yikes, rough day for you out there.  Sorry to hear about the mishap before T2.  That is a steep little hill there, and I can definitely see how that could happen being as how you are taxed from that ride and maybe not quite as focused making the turn back down into the transition area.  Well, at least it doesn't sound like any damage to the bike.  Heal up, put it behind you, and go kick some butt at Vineman.

2009-06-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2204025

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
The only damage to the bike were scratches on the brake lever, shift lever, crank and I am going to have the replace the bar tape.  I only got bruises (big one on my left foot) and scrapes I will heel, I am more bummed about the brake lever being scratched...
2009-06-09 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
I definitely feel your pain (did pretty much the same thing at the dismount at Bonelli in my 2nd tri...misjudged my speed coming up to the dismount line and went down...had to get through the run with a broken wrist).  Good job finishing the race!
2009-06-12 8:36 AM

Great job on not DNFing! I am sure you (and the bike) will heal up before 1/2 Vineman. Hope to maybe see you there in Sonoma!

Suzie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon Championship Series #3 Rss Feed