United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 22m 52s
Overall Rank = 13/549
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

I went to a wedding the night before the race and made sure to set my alarm for 4:45 -giving me 15 min before Kristin was coming over to pick me up. At 5:05 I hear a loud knock on the door -SH#@$#T!!!! I jab my contacts in my eyes, pull my suit on half way, put on some clothes, shoes, grab a Banana, Gu chomps, water bottle and bag and am out the door in under 3 min (good practice for transitions!). Realize I forgot to take all my asthma meds about 10 min into the ride. Luckily, we make good time and arrive in transition before 6:10. Go down to the pavilion to get our wristbands since they did not give them to me on Friday night and grab our teams timing chip from Suzie (more on her later) since they also did not give us that at packet pick-up. Find our rider, Eneas in transition and we can't find our rack number...so we rack where we are pretty sure it should have been.
Event warmup:

Didn't have much time for warm up and since it appeared they changed the wave starts I was going to be in the last heat (ugh!) so not worth it to warm up just to get cold again. The event tossed some of Blazeman's ashes into the water which was quite touching and then the pro heats went off. Saw my friends Sue, Suzie and Dave and wished them luck. Next thing I knew, my heat was up.
Swim
  • 25m
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out a bit too fast and my breathing was all out of whack for the first few minutes but settled in and just hammered away, started to catch people in the wave before me before I hit the first buoy. There was another relay swimmer with me at that time (maybe Bethel Cycle swimmer?) but was able to cut him loose before we hit the first corner buoy. At that time I started to see lots of different cap colors and spent a lot of time trying to swim round people and unfortunately in some cases had to swim over them (sorry). Finally saw the big Rev3 arch and aimed for that marker into the swim finish. I think my water exit was pretty good (swim till your hands hit the bottom) and needed just a few short strides to hit dry land. Ran up the beach and up into transition. I think I was running pretty fast (for me) since I passed about 10 people in transition) but I was almost done. Found Eneas in transition who grabbed my chip and he was off like lightening!
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I definitely could have been in better swim shape for this race. I was a little disappointed that I did not beat all the pro women (but they didn't have to swim through packs of people).
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

I think Eneas was surprised I beat all the guys. I think the other teams were a little shocked too :)
Bike
  • 2h 15m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 24.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, Eneas killed it on the bike. He threw the hammer down and had the fastest bike split of the day (yes, faster than Matty Reed) though he didn't have to swim (thank goodness) or run. When he came into T2 he was POed he didn;t average over 40K (what!?)

While Eneas was off biking Kristin, Chris (Suzie's BF) and I went for a run. Kristin turned back after about 1 mile and Chris and I ended up doing the first 3 and last 3 miles of the run course. We were holding about 7:45 pace and I kept thinking to myself thank god I don't have to run this thing -this course is brutal!
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Good hand-off from Eneas to Kristin. Eneas was able to catch all the pro women apart from Natasha and maybe one other. Kristin headed out with the pro gals (so cool!) and I was cheering my head off. We stuck around transition to see when the next relay would come in. Looked like Cannondale with about a 15 min deficit, then Bethel Cycle a few minutes after them. They had two very strong guy runners on anchor, so I knew it was going to be close but thought we put in enough of a lead to seal the deal.
Run
  • 1h 39m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Kristin said she had an awesome time out there (and was only a few min off her PB). She got to cheer on Miranda and tell her "there are two more in front of you just ahead -go get em!" to which Miranda responded with a big "Thank you!" After 4 hours and 22 min Kristin crossed the finish with a big smile and a well deserved relay win against some very tough competition.
Post race
Event comments:

Great first run - loved the huge TV screen with live coverage and live commentary. Kept things interesting while I was waiting around. Cool awards - pottery.

I have to give a shout out to two teammates: Suzie who rocked her first ever 1/2 with a 2nd overall in the amateur division (4:58!!!). And Yokes for winning his AG with a sub 5 hr time.

Last updated: 2009-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:00 | 2310 yards | 01m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/549
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot demo suit (size M)
Course: Triangular, flat, lots of sight buoys, perfect conditions except for the waves of people in front of me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:15:16 | 56 miles | 24.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/549
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: very hilly
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:39:17 | 13.1 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/549
Performance:
Course: silly hilly. This course looked brutal.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes