General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Monroe, Michigan
United States
Racing for Recovery
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 12m 56s
Overall Rank = 131/183
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Got about 2 hours before race start, had a bit of coffee to get everything out, so to speak! Ate some rice bran cereal, tried to drink water.
Event warmup:

I just tried to do some dynamic stretching. I usually don't do anything other than stretching right before race start.
Swim
  • 42m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

That was scary. I've always been a fish in water (not fast, just extremely comfortable) but I felt more like I was trying to survive than swimming. I had to stop and breaststroke many times to be able to figure out where I was going and catch my breath. My legs started cramping like crazy in the last few minutes and on the way to T1.

I found out after the race that something had bitten me on the back of the neck at the hairline....I noticed a strange burning sensation coming out of T1. Later, the medic said it looked like a bite.
What would you do differently?:

Probably needed more hydration and salt. I will look into salt tabs before the next race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

My legs were so cramped that getting the suit off was difficult. This was my first HIM, so I was more worried about keeping myself together than T1 time.

I tried to put on a long sleeve jersey and it wasn't working very well. Next time I'll either where what I'm wearing for a shirt on the bike under my wetsuit or use a zip-up jacket instead.

I also stopped to put on my riding gloves which took forever. I'll have to post on tips & tricks for this one, or maybe people just don't use them during the race?
Bike
  • 3h 15m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm just not a fast or confident biker. I knew this coming in and that was the big challenge with the HIM for me. Halfway through the bike leg, I was moving my bottles around from one cage to another and the next thing I knew, I was skidding across the road on my side. Ouch. Several races stopped to make sure I was okay--that was so kind of them, and that really helped me to move on and finish despite my bloody road rash.

Not fallen!! I need to train more outside on the bike and get out of the spinning studio!!
Transition 2
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

At that point, I was trying to figure out if I had injured my calf in the fall. A volunteer offered to take me to the medic but I decide to just start running and see how it went. If I was injured and had to DNF, so be it. It took awhile to regroup so I'm not that disappointed with this T considering what had happened.

Again, not fallen off the bike, shaken myself up and been crying!
Run
  • 2h 05m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I was a few miles in, I knew I hadn't sustained any injuries from the fall beyond road rash. I still didn't know if I could make those 13 miles. I'm used to running a half marathon at an 8:15 pace but had no idea how much slower I'd be after finishing that 56 mile ride. I knew I'd be humbled, but my legs could barely hold me up those last few miles, let alone run.

I trained for this HIM, but I just didn't realize how hard it would be to do a 3 hour bike ride followed by a 2 hour run. I don't think I could've trained any better or harder for the run portion. I really feel this was the best I could do at this stage of my triathlon career.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish, I collasped with my loved ones at a picnic table and tried to force down water and a Clif bar. I hadn't peed the entire race (I had the urge around mile 4 of the run but it went away). I actually left the park, drove home an hour and realized that I never did pee since race start. Ugh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Simply, not enough experience with these distances.

Event comments:

Overall, I'm glad I finished. Kenny and the 3D guys did a great job especially considering the T-storms trying to get out of our way in time to race. We only started 30 minutes late and the storms were gone for the day.

Last updated: 2009-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 72/183
Performance: Average
L-shaped course out and back, then parallel.
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Choppy and scary. On the way out away from shore, every time I tried to spot I could only see a swell coming toward me. Once we turned around and headed back toward shore, the push from the waves was a nice break.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:15:49 | 56 miles | 17.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 160/183
Performance: Below average
Lollipop shaped course, out, 3 loops, back the way you came.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat but bumpy in spots. I had a hard time recognizing when I had entered the loop system and had to ask a fellow racer where we were on the course. Some of the volunteers were unsure where we were on the course as I passed them.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:05:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 107/183
Performance: Average
Course: It was a two loop course with an out and back trail run. I didn't like getting gravel in my shoes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-09 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racing for Recovery Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed