Revolution3
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 22m 48s
Overall Rank = 491/549
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/46
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast at the hotel and spent a good hour or so prepping my bike and transition area. Had a banana about an hour before the race and a gel (with caffeine) shortly thereafter.
Event warmup:

Didn't make it to the swim before they closed it off for the pro start (way ahead of schedule).
Swim
  • 45m 12s
  • 1920 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was a bit nervous at the start with so many people around and the hype of the announcer. Had no idea where to insert myself into the crowd. Got seasick immediately and had a really hard time not puking throughout the entire swim. Kept breathing steadily to avoid hurling.

I hadn't been in a wetsuit before, so this was different for me. I also had a really hard time staying on course. I probably lost 5-10 minutes there. A few goggle issues, but nothing major.

I came out of the swim overheated and dizzy feeling like I was going to get sick.
What would you do differently?:

Should have worn earplugs...might have helped with the nausea.

Also wouldn't take caffeine before a race. Next time save the caffeine for after the swim.

I could have gone a lot faster if I wasn't feeling sick.
Transition 1
  • 06m 22s
Comments:

Was wrecked by the time I got out of the water. I pulled off my wetsuit and saw steam coming out. Heart felt like it was going to explode. Wasn't sure if I'd make it the rest of the way if my heart kept feeling like that.

Sat down a minute after I almost fell over and took it easy. Got my composure back and swapped into bike gear quickly. Had no problems in transition other than seasickness and rapid heart rate.

Be quicker...T1 went well when I actually did it.
Bike
  • 3h 47m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, this course had me reeling from the start. Tons of hills and I just didn't have enough leg to pull through and get into a groove. I used every gear I had and reached 39 mph on one descent, but it was immediately followed by another climb.

About halfway through, my quads started telling me they were done...only problem was I knew it would take longer to get back if I didn't ride and there isn't any easy way to get back into the saddle mid-way up a hill. Just kept going. Last 10 miles felt like the same distance as the first 30. I was dead by the time I got to T2.

The course was hard, but I don't think it would have mattered much for me. I just wasn't ready...not enough time on a real bike over the past year. Longest ride of my life was also my first 1/2! I'm crazy.

Quick note: the last 10 miles was a descent as you watch the people in front of you climb the hill you were riding down. Brutal way to end the course.

Train more...hill repeats. Went through more water then I could carry, but grabbed some on the course. Not sure what I could've done differently other than train more.
Transition 2
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Nothing strange here...was just out of gas. Luckily the elation I felt from being off the bike and onto the most comfortable stage got me through it.

I don't remember much from that point, but I would have had my jersey packed with more food. I was starving at this point.
Run
  • 2h 40m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Was just out of gas and my legs wouldn't work any more. Calves and quads were seizing up every 2 minutes by the end. I couldn't do much but walk uphill and jog downhill and on flats. I stayed hydrated and ate plenty of oranges and bananas, but I just didn't have any energy left. Was happy just to finish.

The course wasn't much worse than any other run I've done previously, but I had no answer for the muscle spasms.

Try to hydrate more in T2 and bring more food. Tried to push but the legs weren't having it.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapse...didn't do much and I don't remember much. Had a water as I donned my finisher's medal and shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training...more specifically hill repeats.

Event comments:

Great race. Rev3 staff were both professional and courteous. The volunteers and the community were outstanding. My hats off to all of them. 1st class race...meeting pro's was cool too.

Last updated: 2009-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:12 | 1920 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 42/46
Overall: 483/549
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Adrenaline
Course: The course was pretty well marked and wasn't overly difficult.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:47:28 | 56 miles | 14.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/46
Overall: 489/549
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Brutal...cruel...ride up a long long hill only to come right down and find another. The downhills were short, very few flats, and a ton of big rollers near the end of the course. Very scenic, a few issues with traffic and bumpy roads, but pretty nice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:40:10 | 13.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/46
Overall: 469/549
Performance: Below average
Course: Was mostly on side roads and trail like roads. Just as many hills as the bike had. Was one point where I didn't think I'd get to go downhill at all. Shaded well and had plenty of room to run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-09 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Revolution3

2009-06-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2205948

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Revolution3

great report nathan.  in addition to pulling out an amazing finish given the craziness of your training, it also sounds like it was a really great learning experience.  I will take a lot of this to heart this weekend for my race.  specifically the nutrition stuff.

2009-06-11 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Way to tough it out on a crazy hard course.  I just did the swim and the run, and I was done!!
2009-06-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2209489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the comments

Felt good to finish and now I've got a vendetta to settle next year!
2009-06-13 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Damn, way to grit it out!  You make me feel guilty for opting on the Sprint distance that day in Mystic when at heart I really wanted to do the Rev. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Rss Feed