View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Madison, Wisconsin
United States
Total Time = 25m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Rode from work to the race, and then I did a few laps of the course.
Bike
  • 25m
  • 9.5 miles
  • 22.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Distance is estimated because I don't have a cyclocomputer on this bike.

Second crit ever. Last time I was dropped after 3 laps. This time I managed to stay with the group the whole way, although I was at the back most of the time. It was sketchy back there, especially on the turns.

About halfway through (12 minutes in) my legs began to suffer. We came out of a turn and I got pseudo dropped and my legs were dying. Luckily I got back with the group shortly but the rest of the race was pretty painful after that point.

With 2 laps to go, we were going up a hill, and I do kinda well on hills, so I shot to the front of the pack. I was gonna try to sneak onto one of the leaders' wheels, but when I got to the front they were all going slow and I was coasting past them. I was like "hey guys" since I didn't know what else to do. Since I was passing them anyway, I decided I might as well try a breakaway. It was a pretty terrible one. I took a whole train of people with me, so I guess I never really broke away, and after about 300 meters the pack swallowed me up and pooped me out the back. I was at the VERY back for the last two laps, including the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I don't regret the breakaway, although it took so much out of me that I finished in infinitieth place. Next time, though, I'll try to have more of an element of surprise. I got up to the front so quickly that I could have gotten a good jump on people, but instead I hesitated at the front and that gave people a chance to follow.

I'm gonna try a better breakaway next week. Maybe just for a prime. I'm sure it will fail--one guy in the pack had a max power of 1150 W today and I can sprint at only about 600. But, these practice crits are the perfect place to try things out.
Post race
Warm down:

I may have ridden a lap...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh...I'm not a good biker!

Last updated: 2009-06-09 12:00 AM
Biking
00:25:00 | 9.5 miles | 22.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Research park loop. A little less than a mile.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-09 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Practice Crit

2009-06-10 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2206608

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Practice Crit
Kudos for taking a shot at the breakaway.  That's the best way to learn.  Sounds like you had a fun time.
2009-06-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2206608

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Practice Crit

Pretty cool.  I would never do a crit because I'm not a serious biker, though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Practice Crit Rss Feed