Tricatsports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 25s
Overall Rank = 4/100
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:20. Had the usual breakfast. Packed up and left for the park around 5am. I left early because I still had to packet pick-up that I missed the night before.
Event warmup:

10 minute bike about 45 minutes prior to race. Quick run. Quick swim 5 minutes before start.
Swim
  • 15m 16s
  • 890 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off OK but never really got in a great rythm. I was with a group of 4-5 for the first 200 yards but somehow got separated. As a result, I swam most of the course alone and was not able to draft. The group finished 50-100 yards ahead of me. I really should have made an effort to stay behind that group and my swim time would have been much better. After looking at the swim times, it looks like some of the other top guys were only about a minute ahead of me...so I guess that isn't too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more the month leading up to the event.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Definately a little slow taking off the wetsuit. I was surprised that this was one of the better T1 times but I can still be faster.
Bike
  • 51m 22s
  • 18.3 miles
  • 21.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't feel great for the first 10 minutes of the ride. That swim really took something out of me. Unfortunately, the first big hill is only 2 miles into the race. I made it up the hill OK and passed a few people. I felt much better as the bike progressed. I finished strong and was ready for a good run. I'm still a little off in my bike fitness but it was to be expected. I should be stronger as the summer progresses.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Dropped my helmet while I was running my bike to my Transition spot. cost me a few seconds. Otherwise, a nice fast T2. This was one of the fastest T2 times. I'm usually fast in T2.
Run
  • 18m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off with a nice pace on the run. There was a guy about 15 seconds ahead and I made sure to keep him the same distance for the first half of the run. On the second half of the run, I started to reel him in with 20 seconds bursts of speed. There are two hills on the back half and I planned to attack on the hills and prevent a sprint finish. This worked like a charm. I was able to attack the hills and distance him so I could cruise across the finish. Very happy with my run time. It makes me want to run an open 5K to see if I can crank out a 17:30.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. I lost to a 47 year old in another wave. I guess I could have run a little harder if I had known this...but I had not way of knowing.
Post race
Warm down:

10 minute run while waiting for awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training the last month. Not as much training as I would have liked in all 3 areas. Didn't sign up until Wednesday. To be expected though considering birth of 3rd kid 4 weeks ago.

I wasn't sharp in the swim and a little off in the bike. Not bad for a guy with a 1 month old kid who hasn't been training as much.

Event comments:

Nice local race. Pinchot park is a great place for a triathlon. Perfect for people with families who want to come out and cheer. Proceeds go to charity. Lots of AG awards for such a small event.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:16 | 890 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 13/100
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot full
Course: Inverted triangle on the lake. Started in waist deep water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:22 | 18.3 miles | 21.38 mile/hr
Overall: 4/100
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops around lake. A few hills including one that was fairly steep.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:18:23 | 03.11 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 2/100
Performance: Good
Course: Big loop on trails along lake and camping/hiking areas. Course was VERY muddy. It was impossible not to get covered in mud.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-10 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Pinchot Park Triathlon

2009-06-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2207034

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pinchot Park Triathlon
Thanks for the kind words. You ran one heck of a race, congrats. See you at Catfish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinchot Park Triathlon Rss Feed