General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner swimmer - short or long sleeve suit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-10 9:55 AM

User image

Regular
Katy
Subject: beginner swimmer - short or long sleeve suit?
Hey guys,  I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Xterra wetsuit sale.  I swam my first tri in a short sleev (sleeveless) suit because I heard about the range of motion issue in a long sleeve.  My experience with it was good aside from the fact that I had the claustrophobic feeling when I got in the water.

Any input on whether it would be better for me to get a short (sleeveless) sleeve or a long sleeve?  Thanks.

2009-06-10 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2207393

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: beginner swimmer - short or long sleeve suit?
Long sleeve 100% of the time.  The #1 purpose of a wetsuit (for tri's) is buoyancy.  A full will give you more buoyancy and a sleeveless.  And I have found that a vast majority of the people that complain about tight shoulders on their wetssuits is because they are donning them improperly.

So, buy the long sleeve.
2009-06-10 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2207454

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Marvarnett - 2009-06-10 11:12 AM Long sleeve 100% of the time.  The #1 purpose of a wetsuit (for tri's) is buoyancy.  A full will give you more buoyancy and a sleeveless.  And I have found that a vast majority of the people that complain about tight shoulders on their wetssuits is because they are donning them improperly.

So, buy the long sleeve.

x2.  If it fits and is put on properly, you should have no "range of motion" issues.
2009-06-10 10:31 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
My first wetsuit was a Xterra Sleeveless... upgraded to the Zoot Zenith Full Sleeve ~ WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Full Sleeve all the way... with proper fit, range of motion has not been an issue!
2009-06-10 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
So, I understand the bouyancy thing.  What about the heat thing?  I don't own one yet and will need to buy one before my last Tri this season.  I live in Southern Texas, so the temperatures for legal wetsuit are usually just barely legal.  I've heard those things can get mighty warm.  Thoughts?

Sorry, if I'm hijacking.

RAndy
2009-06-10 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2207582

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
randym95 - 2009-06-10 10:46 AM So, I understand the bouyancy thing.  What about the heat thing?  I don't own one yet and will need to buy one before my last Tri this season.  I live in Southern Texas, so the temperatures for legal wetsuit are usually just barely legal.  I've heard those things can get mighty warm.  Thoughts?

Sorry, if I'm hijacking.

RAndy

Your body doesn't retain or throw off much heat from the arms (except the pits), so there isn't much difference. I'm just north of Houston, and full sleeve is all I recommend.

2009-06-10 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I like sleeveless for South Texas.  I like feeling the water with my arms and knowing that my range of motion is not being restricted (yeah, I know, long sleeved wetsuits aren't supposed to affect this....).  The water is pretty warm around here too, so I've never felt cold for not having sleeves.

Brian
2009-06-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2207902

User image

Regular
Katy
famelec - 2009-06-10 12:19 PM I like sleeveless for South Texas.  I like feeling the water with my arms and knowing that my range of motion is not being restricted (yeah, I know, long sleeved wetsuits aren't supposed to affect this....).  The water is pretty warm around here too, so I've never felt cold for not having sleeves.

Brian

I understand that I might be giving up my man card by admitting this.... but I was COLD in my sleeveless in Austin, CapTexTri, last month.

2009-06-10 12:56 PM

User image

, Arizona
I think I need help understanding this... a friend lent me two wetsuits, one sleeveless and one with sleeves. The sleeves don't affect my range of motion, I can still put my arms straight above my head, but it takes much more effort to do so. Wetsuit fabric seems to be very flexible so I don't see how it could ever affect your range of motion, but don't you have to expend more energy to 'fight' the fabric to get your heads above your head? The wetsuit was designed for diving, not triathletes, so maybe that's why. It just seems that spending more energy to get your arms to a certain position is a much larger issue than range of motion, is there something I'm not understanding?

2009-06-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2208020

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Synon - 2009-06-10 12:56 PM I think I need help understanding this... a friend lent me two wetsuits, one sleeveless and one with sleeves. The sleeves don't affect my range of motion, I can still put my arms straight above my head, but it takes much more effort to do so. Wetsuit fabric seems to be very flexible so I don't see how it could ever affect your range of motion, but don't you have to expend more energy to 'fight' the fabric to get your heads above your head? The wetsuit was designed for diving, not triathletes, so maybe that's why. It just seems that spending more energy to get your arms to a certain position is a much larger issue than range of motion, is there something I'm not understanding?

Swim specific wetsuits have very thin material around the shoulders to reduce the issue you are referring to. There still might be a little extra energy to get your arms above your head when you are standing on the ground, but once you are swimming the density of the water pushing on your glide make it pretty much a non issue. I think the benefit of the bouyancy far outweight the overheating/ range of motion.
2009-06-10 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2208020

User image

Regular
Katy
Synon - 2009-06-10 12:56 PM I think I need help understanding this... a friend lent me two wetsuits, one sleeveless and one with sleeves. The sleeves don't affect my range of motion, I can still put my arms straight above my head, but it takes much more effort to do so. Wetsuit fabric seems to be very flexible so I don't see how it could ever affect your range of motion, but don't you have to expend more energy to 'fight' the fabric to get your heads above your head? The wetsuit was designed for diving, not triathletes, so maybe that's why. It just seems that spending more energy to get your arms to a certain position is a much larger issue than range of motion, is there something I'm not understanding?

I'm no vetran around here but I would assume that a diving suit would be built differently than a tri suit designed for buoyancy, etc.

2009-06-10 2:34 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I went through months of searching for the perfect wetsuit. Finally bought one and spent around $500 on it. It has sleeves. And I hate to wear it because it messes with my stroke just enough that it wears me out to swim in it.

I'm now wishing I had a sleeveless wetsuit. Contemplating selling the one I have and buying a sleeveless one.

I mean, I don't want to use the one I have now.. and I avoid cold water races because of it (easy to do in Texas)... so what's the point of me having it.

I say go with the sleeveless.
2009-06-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2208282

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

tjfry - 2009-06-10 2:31 PM

Swim specific wetsuits have very thin material around the shoulders to reduce the issue you are referring to. There still might be a little extra energy to get your arms above your head when you are standing on the ground, but once you are swimming the density of the water pushing on your glide make it pretty much a non issue. I think the benefit of the bouyancy far outweight the overheating/ range of motion.

If "overheated", just let a little water in around the neckline to cool yourself off.

2009-06-10 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)

2-5 mm of neoprene does not affect you ROM. You should be able to do everything that you do without a wetsuit(otherwise your suit doesnt fit). HOWEVER it may take more energy to do it. Keeping high elbows does take more muscle power with a wetsuit since the material is elastic and has intrinsic material resistance. I do extra exercises with resistance bands (rowing motion, pull ups, pull downs) many many reps with a light resistance band because this is what swimming with a wetsuit essentially is; many many light reps. I do them when I watch TV.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » beginner swimmer - short or long sleeve suit? Rss Feed