General Discussion Race Reports! » Westfield YMCA Wave Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Westfield YMCA Wave Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westfield, Massachusetts
United States
Westfield YMCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 23s
Overall Rank = 28/62
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Took care of bike the night before, checked again in the morning. Everything had been packed the night before so I was good to go first thing.
Event warmup:

Sounds bad - but there was none. I usually get into the water before, but I didn't this time. (I was dreading the cold water - but it turns out it wasn't so cold after all).
Swim
  • 12m 28s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

A horrible swim for me, but not unexpected. I haven't been in the open water at all until this day, and not swimming as much as I should. Knowing this, I started in the VERY bad and to the outside...I was just happy that I passed a few people. Had a hard time sighting the smaller buoys, but that was also because my googles had fogged up. Got caught up in a pack of men rounding the second bouy and had one constantly on my calves trying to draft. I got annoyed after the 8th time he swam up me and I kicked like mad to get away. Swam pretty strong after that, but it wasn't very far to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more and in open water. We reap what we sow, right? I knew I wasn't as prepared as I should be and I paid for it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

First time I wore earplugs on the swim and they really helped me stay warm (and less dizzy). Almost put my helmet on over my swim cap....that would've been pretty funny. Almost forgot my sunglasses too, but I forced myself to slow down and then I remembered them.

nothing
Bike
  • 44m 43s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

All the time I've spent on the bike has paid off. Not super fast yet, but I'm much more comfortable and more aggressive. Went out a bit too hard (sucking wind almost the whole way) but still felt good. Only passed by one guy on a tri bike (Yay!). Passed quite a few people to try to make up my swim time.

Go out a little less hard - I had a harder time transitioning to the run because I was at my max heart rate.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems here....

nothing
Run
  • 26m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Was sucking wind for much of the 1st mile....found a nice women a couple of years younger than me and fell in behind her. She was very nice and helped me pace myself....it's not usually a problem for me, but I was having a hard time getting my heart rate down. Legs felt a little stiff too, but I haven't done any bricks until this tri (bad, I know!!!) and I wasn't used to it. I stayed behind her the whole way, didn't try to pass even though I could've at the end. (Felt that it would be bad form) It's a slower time than normal, but not by much for me. Had some very fast mile sprinters at this race in the super sprint...

Maybe walked a little at the beginning - I felt like I had to run, but it took me longer to get my heart rate down that way.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, gave my little guy a victory hug.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough

Event comments:

Very friendly and helpful staff - had a little problem on the bike/run course (some people went off course due to lack of direction) but overall it was a great, beginner-friendly race. It was their first year organizing it, and with that in mind, they did a great job.

Last updated: 2009-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:28 | 528 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 38/62
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:43 | 13 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Overall: 22/62
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two 6 1/2 mile laps - some hills in the beginning, back roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 17
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:13 | 03 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 49/62
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, some small hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-10 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Subject: Westfield YMCA Wave Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westfield YMCA Wave Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed