General Discussion Race Reports! » Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burley/Heyburn, Idaho
United States
American Heritage Academy
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 08m 31s
Overall Rank = 20/150
Age Group = M 45-50
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, saw it pouring rain and decided i wasn't going to race. Got to start area to withdraw and saw everyone else willing to HTFU, so I caved to peer pressure and said "What the hell". Found some coffee and had a gel and power bar.
Event warmup:

First one in the water to warm up, after several minutes mt feet/hands started getting cold. Went to shore and started to do some running 'surges', but my calf started hurting REALLY bad. "Oh, Great! This is going to be a long miserable day!"
Swim
  • 29m 2s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I still get nervouse during this swims. I held off on the backstroke for a good while. If I had been further from shore, I probably would not have rested, but since I could touch bottom and there were so many other people around me, I didn't feel too bad about taking a little 'walking' break.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS startes. More anerobic swim sessions-learn how to deal with being really winded while swimming.
Transition 1
  • 05m 38s
Comments:

LONG run from water to T1. They poured a sand path that got pretty soft by the time I got there. I could feel my calf talking to me in an angry voice, so I just kept it slow and steady. Hands and feet were pretty cold and fingers didn't want to move very fast.

My suit always sticks around my elbows. I need to find a different/better way to adress this.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 39s
  • 28 miles
  • 18.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Cold and rainy. Wore a long sleeve jersey over Tri jersey and was OK temp. wise. Going along pretty good til 46 minutes-then my mind started wandering and i strted stopping for stranded cyclists. I was tired, frustrated and the wind was blowing HARD so i thought I could do more good by helping than by trying to race.

Since it was wet and chilly, I didn't drink quite enough. I needed the calories towards the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't wear my racing flats, so i had to put on socks and tie shoes. Then forgot to put on wrap for calf, so had to take shoe off, then put it right back on. I felt like I was moving in slow motion. I commented to the official "I guess I should show a sense of urgency."

probably nothing
Run
  • 1h 05m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My calf was really stiff and sore. The first mile or so, I didn't know if I was going to make it or DNF. I started changing my gait ever so slightly to change my toe off and that really helped, Calf started getting warmed up and looser. Still hurt like hell but I could tell I wasn't making it worse. Around mile 4 i really started to feel racy, but as soon as I started to go a bit, the calf would remind me that I was a hobbled old man.

Nothing. I'm probably more pleased with finishing the run than anything. I won't be hurt for long and then I'll see what these old bones can do.
Post race
Warm down:

It started raining again just as i finished. When I crossed the finish line I scarfed up all the bananas, choco milk and other post-race goodies I could carry. I even managed to stash a few Hammer Gels in my shorts to use another day (I'm poor, so saving 1.49/packet makes a difference)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad calf, bad weather. But everyone raced in the same rain and wind i did. I need to work on keeping my race focus.

Event comments:

This is the third year for this race and the third year of HORRIBLE weather. Early June in Idaho is just too unpredictable. Also, it is seperated by only a week from Boise 70.3. Race would be better suited for a Sept. time frame. I had an OK time. I traveled almost 3 hours, alone in a driving rain/hail storm. Planned on camping, but had to get a hotel room. Not a dig on the race itself, but I don't see myself going back.

Last updated: 2009-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:02 | 1500 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 32/150
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca S1
Course: Down stream in the famouse Snake River. Raining at the start, and the water was warmer than the air temp. If you wanted to get into the FAST current, you swam further into the middle of river. Me, I stayed pretty close to shore because I'm a chicken.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:39 | 28 miles | 18.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 13/150
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Raining fairly hard. Mostly flat through the country. Chip sealed roads with BIG pebbles. Had a short section (less than 1/4 mile) of pressed gravel. Lots of flats, but I was lucky.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:05:56 | 06.2 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 32/150
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back. Nice mixture of park, residential and green countryside. Rain had stopped and temp was perfect for a run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-10 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike

2009-06-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2208718

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike
Congrats on the win Jeff!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vikingman Triathlon - Half IM & Olympic Trialthlon and Aqua-Bike Rss Feed