General Discussion Triathlon Talk » P90x curious Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-12 6:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Subject: P90x curious
OK, I admit it.  I was on the treadmill this morning and did most of my run while watching the hard bodies on the P90x infomercial.

I am curious if it is possible to do this program AND maintaining some type of tri training at the same time.  Or should this be done during the off season, with no tri training? Then what will happen when you go back to endurance cardo with all of those muscles?  Will you just be a slow blob of lean protein that sinks to the bottom of the pool?

Anyone have any thoughts or experience? 

2009-06-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2212490

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: RE: P90x curious

I choose E).  Not enough information to answer the question

Really though, it all depends on how much time you have and what your real goals are.  If you have 5-8 hrs a week to train for a half ironman, then you'd be crazy not to spend all of the hours on SBR.  If you have enough time and you are training for shorter distances or even longer distances, then have at it.

I do sort of have to laugh a little at your comment though.  "all those muscles".  Don't think your going to get big doing that program.  It isn't really geared to packing on muscle (well, unless your a total newb and then you can expect newbie gains, which is a good thing).  I haven't done it personally, but used to be a gym rat and know enough about it.  I do think it would probably be a good ST supplement for Tri training because of the core work and endurance aspect of it.  Your not sitting on a bench for 2 or 3 minutes in between sets waiting to squeeze your 6-8 reps out before taking another break.

Ask yourself this, and be honest with yourself.  Do you just want to look good with your shirt off, or do you want to be the best triathlete you can.  Then, depending on the answer, weigh how much time you can devote to training into the equation and make a decision.  You can do a couple of 45 min ST circuits a week and be fine in my opinion though.  

Just to be clear, I'm not saying yes or now here.  I'm saying it depends.  I'm also not entering into the debate of whether or not ST will help you become a better triathlete.  Different topic... 

2009-06-12 6:33 AM

I did a few weeks of P90X this spring. I didn't stick with it through the whole program due to equipment difficulties, but I liked it. I plan on picking it up again in the fall. I think it would be quite difficult to do P90X along with tri training, and have a life. It's at least an hour of exercise 6 days a week. There is a lean version that might work if you could work it in on easier days in your tri training, but you might run the risk of overtraining and tiring yourself out. There is a whole thread devoted to P90X in the weigh loss category on these forums. You might be able to get some more insight there.
2009-06-12 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
More info...I don't have a lot planned for this summer, a two Olys and a sprint. I was thinking about doing a 26.2 at the end of Sept. I did my first HIM this May, and plan to do it again next year. That training starts last week of December.I can do 1-2 hours per day of training, especially if it is in my basement. My limiting factor for training is 3 kids home all summer long, but between 4 and 6 am I am free!!Oh, and I am a girl, so looking good with my shirt off isn't one of my primary goals, but I wouldn't mind nice arms and a pretty set of abs!!
2009-06-12 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2212596

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-12 7:32 AM

Elite
Miami
my gf has all the vids.  used to be a gym rat myself, and had big gains at some point. 

its not really a muscle building regiment, you will get gains no doubt but you will not see the same gains if you went into the gym and actually worked out with proper free weights. 

HOWEVER from what I have seen in the vids I do actually think for ST these vids would be quite nice for a triathlete to watch.  they give you ALOT of variety and so it keeps the interest.  they also have a yoga segment that will help with stretches etc etc. 

IF you have time to spare go for it.  otherwise consider this in the off-season.

2009-06-12 9:02 AM

Regular
Oregon City, Oregon
There's a HUGE thread on P90x on the weight loss board and would recommend reading that - no lack of opinions there...

So here's mine - P90x is a great series of workout videos that a triathlete can benefit from, although I would not recommend trying to do the entire program AND train for a triathlete.  I have two friends that are doing the program (both have lost 25+ pounds using it) and they have loaned me some of the DVDs.  Here are some things I consider beneficial:

1) Focus on building overall body health, not just certain muscle groups
2) Very good at showing you a variety of different strength exercises for various parts of the body.  I feel like I get better use out of my time at the gym after watching the weight videos a couple times.
3) The Ab workouts are TOUGH and something I need (still need a lot more of)
4) Provides good cross-training opportunities so you're not over/under developing muscles
5) Good stretch videos, although I "hate" the 90-minute yoga video.

WIth all that being said, when I started training for my first tri about eight weeks ago, I could not swim at all.  So P90x was dropped in favor of hitting the pool 4-5 times per week.  Before that, I was trying to get in two P90x workouts a week (Plyo, Core or Yoga).  At some point I'll go back to that as I think it encourages better overall body balance and health.  But like someone pointed out above, you have to ask what your goals are.  I'll never be a professional triathlete, so I feel that's the right thing for me to do.
2009-06-12 9:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas

My hubby and I started P90X last July after I had baby #2.  I love, love, love P90X and the results I saw in 30 and 60 days.  Unfortunately, good ol' hurricane Ike hit and even though we could use our dvd player and tv with our generator, we just weren't feeling like doing P90X after the storm.  I never made it through the final 30 days, because then I started training for a 1/2 mary.  I did try to fit in P90X in a few times each week to have a good upper body and core workout.  Now with tri training (even though it's only a sprint), I find that I can't fit in both P90X and tri training (if I am trying to RBX 2x each per week).  I wish I could!  I do still use the "Ab Ripper X" dvd a couple times of week to work on my core.  I love to feel the burn!

Once tri season is over and I am back to focusing on running, I intend to start P90X again.

2009-06-12 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2212936

Extreme Veteran
Texas
daleskibum - 2009-06-12 9:02 AM There's a HUGE thread on P90x on the weight loss board and would recommend reading that - no lack of opinions there...

So here's mine - P90x is a great series of workout videos that a triathlete can benefit from, although I would not recommend trying to do the entire program AND train for a triathlete.  I have two friends that are doing the program (both have lost 25+ pounds using it) and they have loaned me some of the DVDs.  Here are some things I consider beneficial:

1) Focus on building overall body health, not just certain muscle groups
2) Very good at showing you a variety of different strength exercises for various parts of the body.  I feel like I get better use out of my time at the gym after watching the weight videos a couple times.
3) The Ab workouts are TOUGH and something I need (still need a lot more of)
4) Provides good cross-training opportunities so you're not over/under developing muscles
5) Good stretch videos, although I "hate" the 90-minute yoga video.

WIth all that being said, when I started training for my first tri about eight weeks ago, I could not swim at all.  So P90x was dropped in favor of hitting the pool 4-5 times per week.  Before that, I was trying to get in two P90x workouts a week (Plyo, Core or Yoga).  At some point I'll go back to that as I think it encourages better overall body balance and health.  But like someone pointed out above, you have to ask what your goals are.  I'll never be a professional triathlete, so I feel that's the right thing for me to do.

LOL, I HATE that yoga workout too.  90 minutes is just too long imo!
2009-06-12 9:10 AM

Elite
Chicago
Ask some of my athletes about AB Ripper X.

Big fan.
2009-06-12 10:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Stoughton, WI
I second looking at the P90X thread in weight loss forum.

I think X would be a good thing to do in the off season, specifically after your season ends and before you start training for the spring. Of course, if you live in a area where you can tri all year round, you'd have to fit in your own schedule.

2009-06-12 11:39 AM

Regular
Winchester, MA
You've gotten a lot of great replies already, but I'll toss in my thoughts as well. I did my first X round 4 years ago, and totally fell in love with the program. I was more of a recreational runner then (raced 1x/year for fun) and was more than happy to focus exclusively on the X. I got GREAT results - I didn't need to lose any "scale weight" and I didn't lose anything, but my body composition changed quite a bit. I went from being in good shape, to being ripped. It was great.

After I finished my first round, I took 2 months off from Xing (did other fitness stuff), then started a 2nd round. At the same time, I got a kooky idea to actually DO something with this ripped body, and, well, now I'm into my 3rd year of triathlon.

I haven't done a full round in quite a while - I personally can't fit it into my training schedule and actually don't find that it maps well to in-season training. But, I think it would be an excellent program to do, say, in the fall, when you are done tri racing, but haven't yet started back to base building. I do, however, use some of the workouts now during tri-season - Core Synergystics, YogaX, XStretch - they fit in nicely.

If you have any detailed questions about it, feel free to ask - I'm a BeachBody coach as well, so I have quite a bit of experience with the X and many of their other programs.
2009-06-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2212966

Steve- - 2009-06-12 8:10 AM

Ask some of my athletes about AB Ripper X.

Big fan.

x2. "I hate it but I love it!" Ha!

I did p90x for a while over the winter and, for me, it was impossible to s/b/r with the program the way it is written. I don't know what your overall goals are so I will just comment on what I did. I substituted s/b/r workouts for the cardio days. I will tell you that the ST is VERY intense and it always left me pretty wasted. I did it over the winter since I wasn't training for anything specific.

I still do the yoga quite a bit. Its kinda goofy as far as yoga goes, but I always feel better afterwards.
2009-06-12 12:10 PM

Expert
scottsdale, az
Agree with the above. I love Ab ripper X and do a few of the strength DVD's.
2009-06-12 12:28 PM

As a beachbody member, I have done Power 90 and Power 90 Master series. Im not up to the X yet.

Reading on all the boards over there, in the X forum, and ask the experts type forums over there. The fitness advisors will tell you to do NO other program or any other physical fitness to include running with the X. Its at the razors edge of over training.

Now if you incorporated certain tapes and did the program at your leisure to promote strength in various areas and knew what you were doing with recovery and nutrition I think it wouldnt be an issue.

But to hit play 6 days a week with the X and still maintain your tri training. I think all but the very elite would be risking serious injury.

but take it for what its worth.....Im just a fat guy trying to get to be a fit guy.
2009-06-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2213636

Regular
Winchester, MA
Garceau - 2009-06-12 1:28 PM

As a beachbody member, I have done Power 90 and Power 90 Master series. Im not up to the X yet.

Reading on all the boards over there, in the X forum, and ask the experts type forums over there. The fitness advisors will tell you to do NO other program or any other physical fitness to include running with the X. Its at the razors edge of over training.

Now if you incorporated certain tapes and did the program at your leisure to promote strength in various areas and knew what you were doing with recovery and nutrition I think it wouldnt be an issue.

But to hit play 6 days a week with the X and still maintain your tri training. I think all but the very elite would be risking serious injury.

but take it for what its worth.....Im just a fat guy trying to get to be a fit guy.

SOME of that advice I actually think is a bit of a cover your a$$ kind of thing. They (BeachBody) are worried about people overdoing it, when they have NO idea what the heck they are doing and then getting injured (i.e., the whole more is better approach - I'll do the X AND run, and then SURELY I'll look like the infomercial "after" pictures!).

I think it would be completely doable for an established runner, for example, to keep up a decent running schedule while doing an X rotation by the books (effectively doing the X doubles rotation). S/B/R on top of a full X rotation would be madness, in my opinion (and a waste of time, if your main goal was tri performance - spend some of those extra 7 hours per week doing more s/b/r). Even just the strength workouts, when really done hard, would be a bit much in a traditional s/b/r training schedule, but I do know folks who do it and seem to enjoy it. I personally don't think it's a great approach (I think there are better strength training programs out there that would work better with s/b/r in season training), but that's just me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » P90x curious Rss Feed