Score This
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 54s
Overall Rank = 184/245
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/30
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15 and walked over to reserve a bike slot. Power bar and water.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Swim
  • 25m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim time for me. Wetsuit makes a difference but I'm need to figure out why my swim times are improving while I'm trying to improve the run and back instead. Goggles fogged up a few times and had to stop to clear. Perhaps it was because of the colder water temps. Didn't draft much if at all, not really my style. On navigation, seems like I went wide a few times but didn't seem to hurt. Pace was good and I came out of the water fresh.
What would you do differently?:

Lick googles more at start. Put them on early to adjust the temp.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Couldn't take suit off on stairs and then I forgot to get it down to the waist. Gave my 4 yr old a high 5 after the stair and ran to the bike. Suit took a little longer the get off. I could have hurried more but didn't. Was enjoying the experience. 15/30

Take suit down to waist.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Where to start... perhaps with open and willing acknowledgement that I broke a cardinal rule of triathlon, nothing new on race day, which I decided to do with a bike. I flew in for the race and decided to rent a bike instead of ship. The rental bike was actually a nice one but didn't fit well and was 'different'. However, I knew this going in and wanted to do the race for 'the experience' rather than the time. Bike is a weakness for me but even so, a few things came to light during the race. 1) I was fighting a bad cold and held back, probably too much but didn't want to run out of gas on the run, 2) hills, none where I live and it showed, both on the up hill and down with my limited cycle skills, 3) limited saddle time in training showed, haven't been out much on the bike due to weather, work, time and it also contributed to the poor performance. Despite all these 'excuses', it was a fun ride with great views. It felt like an easy Sunday ride and in the end turned out to be just that.

See above.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Coming into T2, I knew the bike was less than poor so I lollygagged some putting shoes on etc. Waved to the family and headed out. 21/30
Run
  • 58m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt better than normal coming off the bike. Should have been I sign I held back too much. The mile times I captured were: 2M 17:37, 3M 9:15, 5M 19:16, 6M 10:12. The cold caught up with me as expected about 2M and I started to labor some. I kept the pace up as much as I could with no walking. Stomach was unsettled some 2nd half. Once again, enjoyed the lake views and the experience. Kicked at the end some and got a bit of a hammy cramp which doesn't happen often. Probably used the hammys more on the bike which is good.

It was an average run. I've yet to break 9 min/miles for a 10k so my ceiling is low on the run right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some. Stomach was tight and I didn't have an appetite for food or water like normal. Perhaps due to the head cold or cooler temps. Just didn't feel right. I also was thinking about a half iron pace too much in retrospect. The HIM is my next goal and I probably thought ahead too much & toward keeping a slow steady pace rather than race the oly. Either way, it was an overall enjoyable experience and well run event. Hats off to the competition which seemed to be a notch higher than most events.

Event comments:

Great venue and well run with many support staff.

Last updated: 2009-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/30
Overall: 30/245
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Xterra
Course: Rectangle with a return to a stairs climb to transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:29 | 24.85 miles | 16.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/30
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: One loop bike course with a mix of rolling hills with two moderate to steep climbs. One is a 0.5 mile moderate climb and the other is about a 2 mile moderate to steep climb.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:56 | 06.21 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/30
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back run on pavement with a few rolling hills (more uphill on the return), but a fair run course. Aid station approx. 1 mile apart with water and HEED. (thanks to JonM for the descrpitions)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes