AA Sports, LTD
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 38s
Overall Rank = 405/608
Age Group = Athena Under-39
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 am ate raspberry ginger cereal with skim milk and banana and had a mug of iced coffee, packed up the last few items, and rode bike down to catch the 6:05 train. Rode from train to race. A bit chilly was glad I was wearing my running jacket.
Event warmup:

Rode bike in 7.87 miles. Did some leg stretching when I got to the park. Ate a GU about 30 minutes to start (probably could've skipped this). After getting in the wet suit went down to the water for a quick out and back and stretched arms while listening to the race briefing.
Swim
  • 15m 41s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was REALLY nervous during the briefing - heart rate was up, kept deep breathing to calm myself down. Once we were allowed into the water I swam way out and waded to the outside in-between people in front. Calmed down significantly. It was ideal setup as I was lined up perfectly at the start for rounding right around the first buoy, and there weren't too many people out there. Start was good, no problems with people, no problems with breathing, no problems with wetsuit. I sighted really well and managed to swim in a nice straight line to each buoy. Couldn't believe how many people were swimming way wide of them. Drafted where I could, but I was swimming more in a straight line than the rest of the pack, and quickly caught up to the previous wave/s. I tangled with crowding around a couple of the later buoys which slowed me down some. I felt this was a fairly strong swim - especially considering the 2000m OWS a couple weeks ago, but I felt sluggish overall - probably from getting <5 hours of sleep. Top 26%... can't complain about that!
What would you do differently?:

Get more sleep, my arms felt completely leaden. I probably need to practice exiting the water a few times after a swim, I felt like a slug running up to T1. Other than that not much... I would like to improve my swim times into the 1:30s, but I need to get more yardage and speed work in my swim workouts for that. I would also like to try a sleeveless wetsuit next time might help with some of the leaden feeling in the arms.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

There was a small hill up to the rather long transition area, and my bike was at the far end. I pulled the top half of the wetsuit off while SLOW slug jogging. At my spot the wetsuit came off pretty quickly no snags. Got sunglasses, helmet, socks, and shoes on, dropped some seconds getting tubes/lever/gu into my back pocket which was all twisted up from the swim. Ran out and was on the bike pretty fast, and just took off from there. This transition seemed like an eternity to me... but was 3/15 in my group, i'll take it.

Practice swim/bike bricks more, and exiting while unzipping wetsuit.
Not a huge deal, but consider getting a little bag for the bike - or band the tubes/levers to the seat somehow, tape the gu to the top tube, just so I don't have to think about it.
Bike
  • 36m 57s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I am very familiar with the route as it's a major training route for me, so the goal was to go out and hammer the entire ride as much as possible, and try to gain some minutes that I would definitely lose on the run. I stayed aero almost the entire way except when hydrating around mile 9. This was great because I haven't been holding aero comfortably in training rides. I was really pushing it and my quads were feeling it - especially the left leg which has been really tight lately. I was flying past people and hopscotching with a 39 y.o male Agrouper, we kept cheering each other on. Great ride, probably should have eased up a little, but was having a blast. Top 33%... yay! I wanted to avg >17mph, and I killed it!

Maybe not hammered quite as hard. Also look into getting an aero bottle, retrieving bottle from seat tube is awkward from aero.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Got in and racked, got shoes off/on quickly. Then proceeded to start the run still wearing my helmet, fortunately there was a shoot alongside the transition zone at the beginning of the run so I just threw it back in close to my rack.

Was fiddling with too many things at T2. Should have just left the garmin and tubes/levers on the bike. And, not run out of transition with my helmet still on - i thought it was pretty funny tho... Practice rolling dismounts.
4/15, can make up some time here. T2 at last race was much faster, but much shorter transition area as well.
Run
  • 40m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Was feeling tired but pretty good after the bike, and started out well, but about 1 mile in started fading, and left leg was tightening up again. I managed to run the entire distance with 1 <1 minute walk break (which was probably unnecessary). Was being passed constantly and it was getting pretty demoralizing. Kept going, and was absolutely and completely out of gas coming into the finish. I ended up :55 seconds slower than the last 5k - but my garmin also read this as being a 3.3 mile course, so I dunno. Bottom 5%... UGGH.

Not hammer quite so hard on the bike.
LOSE MORE WEIGHT.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, hydrated, got a small plate of food (yummy strawberry shortcake) and sat in grass and ate and stretched. Walked around for a while, cheered people on that were still finishing, and waited in the eternally long line for results, as I forgot to stop my watch at the end...
Rode back home via Marine Drive and the Max - 9.17 miles very slowly :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fat ass. ;)

Event comments:

Overall, and for my 2nd TRI this was a great effort. I've lost just shy of 30 pounds since starting this adventure, and compared to a lot of folks in the race i'm still carrying an asian gymnast extra on my body. So I can't complain about my performance too much...

THE GOODS:

I have never ridden so fast EVER! Wooohooo, the bike seriously rocked!

I swam light years better than I did the last OWS, and there's room for more improvement here which will come with more speed work.

I went all out the entire race and gave it all I could.

I finished another tri! Wooot!

THE BADS:

I can't help being a little disappointed in my running. To be fair to myself - I have never run in my life, and couldn't even run a minute last September when I started training - and in that time have gone from 16+ minute miles to running 3 miles consistently at just under 13 min/mi. I know I will get better the more I run, but to lose 240 places because of it SUCKS! My competitive side is chaffing at the bit. The good thing about being such a bad runner is I'm SUPER MOTIVATED now - to lose 20 more pounds, and to get faster! YAH! ;)

Last updated: 2009-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:41 | 875 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 162/608
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:57 | 12 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 199/608
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat out and back on Marine Drive.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:40:20 | 03.11 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 594/608
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat out and back with a couple ups and downs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-13 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: Blue Lake Triathlon

2009-06-14 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2215850

User image

Regular
Oregon City, Oregon
Subject: RE: Blue Lake Triathlon
Nicely done!  Great swim and bike times.

What a great day for the event.  It was my first tri and I thought it was very well organized and a really good event. 

Cheers.
2009-06-15 1:41 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Awesome 2nd tri!  And you did great on your swim. 
2009-06-15 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great race - the swim and bike sounded awesome!  Keep up the good hard work.
2009-06-17 12:38 AM

User image

New user

Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)
Hey kirh, I think I was that 39 yo "age grouper" that you were hopscotching with.  I was actually in the Clydesdale class, and forgot to have them put the "C" on my calf. 

It was fun going back and forth with you, you really helped keep me focused on a good cadence and to push harder.  That's what it is all about!  Great job!

Here's a pic of me coming in off the bike.

Coming in off the bike
2009-06-18 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

You shark!  Nicely done.  Way to crush the bike, too!

I'll get to running more if you will

Great race, Kiri.

2009-10-17 10:59 AM

Nice Job! Kirih ... I'm in the same spot now as you were in last year.  My husband and I (both of us in the clydesdale and athena gorup) have started with BT in september-ish and we used to live in Portland.  I also can't run a mile as I'm nursing a twice damaged knee (20 years ago, I used to be able to run 5mi - life happens, I guess).

You are an inspiration for me as I am a bit nervous even thinking about doing my first tri.  I've never done any kind of racing and some of these posts sound pretty intimidating.

I'll keep working on it if you will.   

Hope to actually get to a race, maybe I'll even sign up for the Blue Lake Tri.

Na Zdrowie, to your health!
Basia
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Blue Lake Triathlon Rss Feed