Georgia Multisports Productions
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 49s
Overall Rank = 131/170
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

I'm really getting tired of going to races so tired! I didn't sleep well for two days before this race. I woke up at 4:00 to get ready to leave. Arrived and unpacked the car. Rode down to the site and picked up my material. I ate a PBJ and had some left over pasta from the night before on the trip.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much other than ride to the site. I loosened up my arms for the swim. The Olympic race was behind and I watched the start and headed back to the dock where we were planned to start at 8 am. When I got there, they were already giving instruction and the first wave was heading out. I quickly gathered up my stuff and headed to the water. I could have very easily missed my start.
Swim
  • 18m 17s
  • 600 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really wish there was some way of knowing the exact distance of these swims. I guess I could start using my Garmin during the swim but that doesn't seem very safe.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure how you prepare for this rough a swim except by doing more races. I am ready to start swimming faster though. My Tanner swim was so much faster than the last two races and I don't know why it should be slower.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I ran in my shoes instead of riding on top of the shoes. I take such short strides that it didn't slow me down. When I got on the bike, it took me a while to get my cleats in but I was moving the whole time.

My transition time was 4th in my group. I didn't wear socks and I think I did some damage to my big toenail during the bike leg. When I went to put my socks and shoes on for the run it was a little tender.

This went about as well as could be expected. I would just like to get to T1 sooner for a change.
Bike
  • 57m 7s
  • 15.35 miles
  • 16.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Losing some more weight should help the climbing but I think doing more strength training until the week of a race helped this performance the most. I'll be back at it this week.

I only got out of the saddle near the end to pass someone that was holding me up. Climbing would be faster if I did more of that but my HR climbs so fast when I do stand up.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I didn't put my socks or shirt on for the bike leg so that had to be done here. I felt like it went pretty fast other than the socks. I did lose some time to the AG here since I was 14th in T2

Put my shirt on before the ride and maybe go back to Yankz.
Run
  • 42m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I was wanting to be about 3 to 5 minutes faster based on my recent workouts, this was still almost 3 minutes faster than last year. My goal was to avoid any walking and to not be passed by any Olympic competitors. Well, I walked several times and I think the top 3 or 4 Olympic runners passed me. I got to see most of my friends come by on the run so that was good. They are always so supportive when I'm racing and it is very helpful. I actually beat someone from my AG and beat some people from the other groups.

Run a little slower at the beginning so I could go longer without needing to walk.
Post race
Warm down:

I went down to the finish area and enjoyed some water and helped to cheer my friends in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sleep and rest for the 48 hours before the race might have helped but everything was faster than last year. I think that this race will be my annual baseline race since it is so well run and is almost the same route every year.

Event comments:

Jim is great at putting on an event. I hope he continues to do this for a long time.

Last updated: 2009-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:17 | 600 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 0/170
Performance: Average
7 minutes to the first buoy, 2 minutes to the 2nd buoy, and then 9 to get back to the finish. My sighting was outstanding! I never looked up and saw myself out of position.
Suit: None
Course: This was was a tough swim. The chop was very challenging. I haven't been in an ocean in 8 or 9 years and I have never swam in an ocean but this was the closest thing I have ever done to it. I also feel the distance may have been more than 600 yds. I noticed the person that won my AG last year swam the course in 13:15 last year but it took him 16 minutes this year. Mine was only 1:16 slower than last year so I'm going to call this faster than last year.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:07 | 15.35 miles | 16.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Performance: Good
The course was marked at 15 but the bike computer and garmin both had it at 15.35. I even passed a few people and they weren't all changing flat tires!
Wind: None
Course: I was so glad to be above 16 mph on this course! Last year I was in the 15's and this year was a full minute and half faster. I still hit some tough hills in the route but my flat speed and slight incline speeds were much better.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:42:29 | 03.11 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 12m 58s /mile, mile 2 14m 03s /mile, mile 3 13m 52s /mile, mile 4 13m 28s /miie My pace for the first .5 miles was so fast and I felt fine. I very disappointed I could keep that up for the 2nd and 3rd miles. Usually, my last mile is my fastest mile because I'm not worried about my HR but not today.
Course: Not too bad and certainly easier than any run course I see this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes