United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 13m 9s
Overall Rank = 713/1246
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 76/131
Pre-race routine:

Race started at 2:00PM, which I found to be a terrible time for several reasons. First off the weather was nice until about 2:30pm and had we started at 7:00am I could have been done with my race entirely before the massive downpours rolled in. Secondly I found that as the day went on before the race I began psyching myself out more and more until I almost didn't want to do the race when I finally got into the water at 2:55. I would much rather have a normal start time in the future.
Event warmup:

We weren't allowed into the water so I didn't warm-up
Swim
  • 33m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

When the Pro's hopped in the water at 2, the water was nice and calm and there was a hint of sunshine coming through. But by the time I got in at 2:55, there were whitecaps inn the water and I felt like I was body surfing for the first half of the race. I got a spot up front on the outside of the course and when they blew the horn I sprinted until I got some free space around me, then I backed off a bit and just started cruising. It was incredibly hard to swim because of the waves and my stroke just plain felt bad. I was doing okay however and started passing trailers from the previous waves. I was staying on the outside for most of the course and even when I would try and swim more towards the inside where everyone was I kept ending up a good 10 yards to the outside of everyone. By the end the waves had settled down a bit and I started felling a little bit better about the race and I made it into the transition area.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

I have a 2 piece desoto so I unzipped that, pulled my top off and rolled my bibjohn down to my waist in a relatively short distance. The T1, was pretty long and a decent uphill climb as well but I managed to run all the way up the hill to the strippers who pulled my wetsuit off with no problems. I thanked the guy and ran to my bike and put all my swim stuff into my T1 bag for transport to the finish. Put my shoes, race belt, and helmet on and ran my bike to the bike mount.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This was hands down the worst part of the race. Starting at the top of the dam is nice cause it's a good sized downhill after that and I managed to pass a few people. I felt really tired already so I ate some shot blocks and chugged some of my water. I felt okay climbing up the other side of the hill on Highway 21 and then once we hit the top of the hill it started sprinkling. By the time I made it down 21 to pleasant valley it was raining steadily. Turning down pleasant valley road and the onto the birds of prey section is right where it started down pouring on me. I could barely see in front of me and most of the section up to birds of prey is hills so riding up the big hill and then down the big hill with a huge downpour was very treacherous. I did pretty well on the uphill part and managed to pass a few people. The down pour let up by the time I got off the birds of prey section. Turning back onto pleasant valley involves another large hill climb and I must have dominated this because I passed about 40 people going up the hill. I'm not normally a good hill climber but apparently I was on that. Turning down ten mile creek road is nice and I was doing quite well down that as well. The rain started up again and was ridiculous to ride in. My wheels were basically shooting water straight into my shoes. I was doing good all the way down until we turned off cloverdale onto Kuna Mora and then my speed promptly went from ~22 to 12mph. There was a large headwind down kuna mora and it just sucked. I ditched one of my water bottles at the aid station on cole and grabbed a gatorade since I had gone through more water than I thought I would. My knee was starting to act up a bit and I was really uncomfortable on my bike after that. I had to keep standing up and stretching while riding. It rained off and on for the rest of the course and I just felt really shitty. I missed my goal time of 3 hours by a fair margin.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Didn't run here because I felt crappy. Got to my T2 bag and was looking forward to a fresh pair of socks and then I opened the bag and the only thing that got wet in my bag was the socks. I sighed and wrung them out because they were still dryer than the ones I was wearing. Put the socks on, slipped my shoes on and started jogging out of T2.
Run
  • 2h 18m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run and felt surprisingly good. I was trying to hold back the first few miles because I didn't want to blow all my energy and I wasn't sure how much I had left. The Boise Aeros', my tri-club had a big cheering section set up at the beginning/end of the course so I got a little motivation from their cheering me on to start. I made the first mile in 9:15 and was like wow I wasn't trying too hard. On the second mile I ran into A friend of mine from the pool and I started running with her. Hit mile 2 in 9:49. Christine stopped to walk an aid station and I didn't so I left her behind. I did an excellent job on the aid stations for the run. Every station I grabbed a water and a gatorade and every other station I grabbed a powerbar/gel/banana. Mile 3 came in 9:45. I was feeling fine and I had to pee but I decided I'd see if I could put it off until the end of the race. Mile 4 in 9:29. I was amazed at how well I was running, because I felt so bad on the bike. Forgot to take my mile 5 split so the 2 miles between 4 and 6 were 9:52 average. I made it to the end of the first lap in 1:03:40. I looked down and saw the clock and if I could have gone a 1:03 again I would finish in 6 hours, which was my goal. Manged mile 7 in 9:44. I was seriously amazed I had been able to run this far with no problems. Mile 8 was 9:54 and mile 9 was 9:42. I thought I had it. Then coming over the ann morrison bridge I felt something in my knee and it started screaming. I had to walk. Gone were my hopes of a 6 hour race and now I just needed to finish. I don't know what happened to my knee but it was excruciating. I alternated running and walking with a 2:00 running 3:00 walking pace for the rest of the race. I had managed to hold 9:42 pace for the first 9 miles and then the last 4 I managed 12:35 miles. That sucked a lot because I really thought that after the terrible swim and the terrible bike I still had a shot at my goal time. I limped down the cute and finally saw my wife. I ran over to her and gave her a big kiss. I heard them call my name and it gave me the chills. I crossed the line and got my finisher hat and medal and was done finally.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the inconsistency of my training was really evident here. The only thing I have trained relatively consistently is my run and that was holding up awesome until my knee gave out. The swimming was okay for me but I feel like I should have been able to break 30 minutes. The bike was just plain bad and I'm sure it's due to my lack of miles I've put in this year. Overall I am extremely happy I finished and even though the weather made it a very difficult race, I am glad I did it.

Last updated: 2008-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/131
Overall: 84/1246
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:14:50 | 56 miles | 17.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 84/131
Overall: 829/1246
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:18:44 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 89/131
Overall: 875/1246
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boise

2009-06-14 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2216282

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise

Great race. Sorry about your knee, hope it's better today. Even if you felt you could have been faster in the swim, you still had a great result for someone whose training focused on the run. Despite the weather I wished I could have made the race, and am envious. My goal was to try to break 6 minutes as well, and it sounds like it would have been a tough day for me to do it. You had it in the bag and would have done it but for the knee pain.

2009-06-15 5:32 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Great race.  Way to stick with it... Given the conditions on the swim you did excellent!  I felt like I was swimming in the Pacific Ocean.  You nailed it!  I hope that the knee is doing better a couple days later?!  You had a tough wave start time that's for sure. 
2009-06-15 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Hey Josh, it was nice to meet you before the race. That was a super swim time given the conditions. Sorry to hear about your knee. My knees ached from the wind chill on the bike. Boise was great though. Good luck on the rest of your season.
2009-06-15 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice race my man! 6:13 with leg issues and finishing with the weather... very nice.  When I can swim 1.2 in 1 foot + witecaps I will be a happy happy camper. I will likely see you back at this one one of these years.
2009-06-15 11:05 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Great job Josh, knee must be feeling better if you ran today you must ready for another HIM how about Trioka in Spokane I think were going to sign up.

2009-06-16 12:13 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great job, Josh! Hope the knee is feeling better! With a 6:13 in those conditions, it won't take much for you to get under 6 in your next one. So, which full are you thinking about?
2009-06-16 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Thanks everyone. I'd like to do IMAZ I think.
2009-06-16 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

The knee problem was a definite crappy roll of the dice - you pulled a damn fine finish out of the race regardless.  Congrats!  Way to HTFU...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boise Rss Feed