General Discussion Race Reports! » Run For Your Life 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Run For Your Life 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log
Jackson, MS
United States
Mississippi Track Club (mstrackclub.com)
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 08m
Overall Rank = 99/133
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Gel as breakfast on the way to the race because I didn't have anytime to fix anything to eat. (oops) Got to the race site and picked up my registration packet and drank .5 liters of water before the race.
Event warmup:

Walked and did some easy jogging and then stretched. about half way through my warm-up the muscle on the inside and just below my right shoulder blade crapmed up really badly. (i guess it was a cramp) it was a pain that I'd felt before earlier in the week but this time it was much more sharp and totally took me by suprise.
I managed to loosen it up a bit and continued my warmup.
Run
  • 31m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was only my second 5K and my first one was on a pretty flat course. This may have been flat by some folks standards but it felt to me like I kept running in and out of a bowl. tough.

My goal going in was to try and finish under 30 min (which didn't happen) but I think the hills had something to do with that.

My plan was to try and take it easy at first and cut my time down towards the end.. (oops again) the hills got the best of me.

It was, however a beautiful morning and my beautiful wife (who was sleeping when i left) was there at the last turn cheering me home!

Next planned race is May 21st for my first Tri! A mini sprint that should be much fun.
What would you do differently?:

Try and keep my pace down in the beginning and focus on my form and not trying to run too hard up the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit with the wife and jogged for a little bit. two sets of stretches so my legs won't be toast tomorrow for my bike ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The freakin hills on the course (i know lame excuse) and the extra 40 lbs around my waist.

Last updated: 2005-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:01 | 03.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 99/133
Performance: Average
mile 1 : 9:53 mile 2 :10:10 mile 3.1 : 10:58
Course: The course was in and around the University of Mississippi Medical center's campus (which also happens to be where I work). Super hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-04-23 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Run For Your Life 5K

2005-04-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: #146950

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Run For Your Life 5K
A hillier course and you still set a new PR! Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run For Your Life 5K Rss Feed