United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 43s
Overall Rank = 100/215
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/27
Pre-race routine:

Words of warning (I don't like to be negative, so I will try to keep this race report as nice as possible)...all the triathlons that I have done have been run by a local tri shop (Jack and Adams). I am letting you know this b/c this race I found through another production group out of San Antonio. I guess I have gotten spoiled b/c J & A puts on incredible events that run on time and run as smooth as you could make it. That being said...

I woke up at 4am b/c since this race was out of town and I had never been there before, I wanted to make sure I got there with plenty of time. Left the house around 430a, picked up some breakfast, and got to the site around 550a. Transition was scheduled to open at 6a. I was about the 3rd vehicle at the site, and there were NO volunteers anywhere. The place was almost vacant. There were some signs up directing us to the general area but nothing saying where we were supposed to park or anything. We drove around for 5-10min and finally found ONE person who said to just park in this field, which we did. A few of us got out of our cars and tried to figure out where we were supposed to go now. I still needed to pick up my race packet. We walked around for a while (still not seeing any volunteers or race people) finally found the area where registration was supposed to be. This was after 6a now. A few race people had just shown up and were just setting up a large tent. I spent probably 15min waiting for them to get all set up. Finally got my race packet and then grabbed my bike and came to set it up in transition.

They told us that transition would be closed at 7a, so I quickly got everything set up and went for a 10min jog (after I taped up my ankle) just get a feel for it. When I got back it was around 7a, so I got out of transition and hung out with my wife. So, b/c everyone was showing up late I guess they decided to leave transition open, so I rushed for nothing. They didn't end up closing it until almost 8a, which is when the race should have started. So, needless to say I ended up waiting a long time.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 5-10min.
Swim
  • 07m 26s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have NO CLUE what my times were for the swim or anything else in this race. I apologize in advance if this is long...We finally started the swim around 40min late. I guess at the last min they decided to add a kid race to our race. So they had us all line up (the start was cool, but I'll get into that in a min) and then told us we were going to wait some more b/c they were going to let all the kids swim first and then wait until they were completely out of the water before the adults would go.

So apparently our swim clock began as soon as the first kid jumped in the water. They show my swim time for a 300m race to be 15min and 38sec. I don't think so, but b/c of this it throws off all the other times in the race. This was the first race I forget to start my own watch and I am kicking myself in the butt for that.

So all the kids finally got out of the water and then we started. We lined up by bib number...well, for some reason, the lady that body marked me put my age instead of my bib number on my arm. So in lining up I had to explain to them what she did and why I should be bib #46 and not my age (32) that was on my arm. So, they had us line up according to our bibs, then every 5sec we dove into the water and started our swim. That part was REALLY COOL. I loved that kind of start. No mass wave start and you could immediately start drafting off the person in front of you. I loved it.

My taped ankle held up well. The tape got soaked and started to unravel a little bit, but not too bad. I could tell I was out of swim shape and was having to breathe a lot more than normal but I felt good. I think my time was close to 7min.
What would you do differently?:

Not enter this race! :) I kid...I really felt bad for them b/c the people that were there were trying very hard to make this work, but it just wasn't happening. I enjoyed my race and the workout, but I wouldn't use this race if you are serious about seeing your times recorded accurately.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

It seems the transitions were the only areas where the times appear to be accurate. Bad transition area. It was close to the water which was VERY nice, but the area was a combination of dirt and stickers/burrs. So, guess what, you just get out of the water with wet bare feet and run into this area...the dirt quickly turns to mud and cakes on your feet (and soaks into my tape on my ankle). I was lucky not to step on any stickers but there were people who weren't so lucky.

I was a little dizzy from the swim, but overall the transition went ok.

I don't know...wear water socks maybe?
Bike
  • 44m 3s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, I actually remembered to start my bike computer and it showed to be 12.5mi and I did it in around 43min, which puts me around a 17mph pace. Very slow for me and I am disappointed in that, but I was hurting and could tell I had not biked in 10 days. The ankle did not bother me one bit, but the tape was still unraveling so I had to slow at one point and tuck it in my shoe. I did stop to help a bicyclist on the side of the road. I hollered at him if he needed any help and he said yes, so I stopped and pulled over. His chain had come off and he was new so I took about 5sec to get it back on and we both got going again. Maybe I shouldn't have done that b/c he quickly passed me and I never saw him again! :) I am kidding, it felt good helping him out...but I think those 5sec knocked me out of medal contention! ;)

They showed the bike distance to be 12mi and that i did it in 44:03.

We had unbelievable head winds the entire way out and it was mostly uphill. My avg speed at the turnaround was 16.2, but increased it to 17.4 by the end.

1) Ride a bike more often than every 10 days.
2) Don't sprain my ankle a week before my race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I normally pull my feet out of the shoes while on the bike, however, due to the dirt/sticker transition I kept them on and just got off the bike and ran with the shoes on. This was about the only time I ever felt my ankle, due to the front cleat on the bike shoes angling my foot up while I ran.

Not sure who designed their bike racks, but the rack was TOO LOW! My bike would not fit under it in order to hang my bike by the seat. I don't like to hang it by the gear levers on the handle bars. I ended up having to angle the bike sideways to get it under the rack bar. Minor detail but something I have always taken for granted in the past.

Due to my muddy feet and the wrapped ankle, decided against wearing socks during the run. I am glad I went this route.

Even with the small problems I can't complain about the time too much (45sec is pretty darn good).
Run
  • 19m 15s
  • 1.99 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Something I forgot to mention on the bike...and something I did not foresee. Due to having my ankle wrapped so tight, it caused my calf to begin cramping on the bike. I am guessing that since I had no flexibility it caused my calf to stay in the same position the entire bike/run and just tightened up. I felt it the last 8mi on the bike, so I was being very careful with it on the run.

They showed my time on the run to be 19:!5, which is probably pretty close. My calf ended up cramping bad about 800y into the run. I actually had to stop and stretch it out for about 5-10sec, but then continued. Ran very slowly at first, and after about 1mi it went away.

I picked up the pace after that but could tell I was out of shape. Plus I had mud and rocks all in my shoes from transition.

Here is the kicker...when I crossed the finish line their big clock showed 1hr 15min and unk seconds. However, now on their results page it shows 1:20:56. I know it did not take me that long to do a mini sprint, so who knows what my actual times were.

Not wrap my ankle...led to the cramping calf.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water...that was about it. Not much in the way of post race activities.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle sprain

Event comments:

I was very disappointed in the production of this race. I would do it again, but would use it strictly as a training day and would make sure and keep track of my own times. It was a mess from the beginning. There were people that got lost on the course and took wrong turns b/c there just weren't enough volunteers or markers showing where to go. I heard this was their 2nd year doing it and first at this venue. It can only get better.

I really miss J & A and will make sure to praise them more when I do their races.

I checked the race results the next day and they appear to be more correct. Added them to this race report.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:26 | 328 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/27
Overall: 0/215
Performance: Average
Suit: same old super suit
Course: Rectangle in a man-made water ski lake.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:03 | 12.5 miles | 17.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/27
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 6mi out and back on some very bumpy country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:15 | 01.99 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/27
Performance: Below average
Course: One big loop around a neighborhood. Very flat on pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Tri it in Spanish

2009-06-15 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2216687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Tri it in Spanish
Just chalk it up to a training day!  It was still good especially considering everything (ankle, production of race, etc.)!  And I unfortunately have been in those kind of races.  It's so disappointing.  

Oh!  And you truly are a superstar to stop and help someone on the bike!  I'm sure the newbie truly appreciated it.   
2009-06-17 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Tim, what an unbelievable day!  I just kept reading your report with more and more incredulity!  I mean, had the race organizers been to a tri before?  However, I know you said they were trying their best under the circumstances, so I'll show a little mercy, too, I guess.    Definitely should just be considered a training day.  Your time on the run was pretty impressive, though, considering your injury.

Here's to many lessons gleaned and to another tri under your belt!
2009-06-17 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Way to stick it out with tough conditions.  A good attitude is a must in a sport where you can't always control for everything. Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri it in Spanish Rss Feed