Team Magic
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 20m 45s
Overall Rank = 177/344
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/53
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 AM, strapped the bike to the Jeep and drove the hour and a half to the event.
Event warmup:

Yeah, not so much. We were supposed to get into the State Park free based on competing, but they were charging us at the gate. This caused a HUGE backup and I barely got in before transition closed. Then I stood in line for one of the three toilets on the property (no porta potties, and almost 400 participants - not cool). Got about 20 strokes in the water before I had to get out for lightening in the area. This also delayed the start.
Swim
  • 06m 8s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow, I'd never actually been swum over before. This one guy I passed as he was dolphin diving in a foot and a half of water (I just kept running), literally crawled right over the top of me. I quietly wished him a flat tire and kept on going. I had a hard time getting into my normal four strokes-breathe rhythm. I was stuck on breathing after every other stroke. It felt okay, but I was hoping to get into a bit more of a steady glide. I didn't sight very well at all. I drafted going into the first buoy, but when I looked up, we were 15 yards off course, so I stopped worrying about getting a draft and concentrated on going straight.
What would you do differently?:

More of a warm up and sighted more often. The extra distance off course hurt
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Long run up the hill to T1. It was raining, so really no point in drying off at all. Got socks and shoes on and was off. Pretty happy with how things went. I forgot to start my Garmin before I went to swim, so I didn't get good data from it

Try to be a little more efficient. Start Garmin before leaving so I can see my pace, speed, etc.
Bike
  • 45m 38s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, so when it started raining while I was in the water, I got a little nervous. I have NEVER biked (or run for that matter) in the rain. Hell, I've never biked or run within 3 days of rain. I just moved to AL from Las Vegas, so there really was never any opportunity to out there. Here, there is plenty. Anyway, the hills are pretty steep here, and I wasn't looking forward to trying my hand at turning on wet pavement for the first time while doing 30+ mph. So, I rode the brakes the entire way down every hill and never let my speed get above 24 mph (and 24 was only once and by accident). I got passed by EVERYONE on the downhills, but I caught most of them on the way back up. My uphills were rocking, but I lost a lot of time by not going full throttle down the hill. At one point a 62 year old woman on a mountain bike passed me. But, I didn't crash, so I count this one as a win.

Nothing. 17+ mph average for the first time in the rain wasn't that upsetting and I don't have any road rash. Yeah, I might be a wimp, but I'm not in traction.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Pretty good overall. Getting off the bike was a little sporty as I didn't quite get my leg over my seat on the first attempt. Fortunately, I was going fast enough that I could try again before falling over. Bike shoes got a little stuck, but overall ok.

I think I'm going to wear my race number during the bike next time to save a little time. Other than that, I'm pleased with this time.
Run
  • 25m 51s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good right off the bike, which never happens. Then I tried to take a drink running out of T2, and nearly drowned. I started choking and coughing and generally looking like a cat coming out of a swimming pool. I put this behind me, tried again at the next aid station - same thing. I tried a third time with similar results and decided if I needed to drink after that, I'd just look up and open my mouth sense it was still raining. Pace was good, but I think I could have gone a little faster

I need to practice drinking out of paper cups while running so I don't die.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some food, went to the bathroom, packed up and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather. Yeah, everybody had to deal with it, but I was intimidated by the wet roads.

Event comments:

Good race with lots of volunteers and support. Arby's roast beef sandwiches at the finish - doesn't get much better than that. I will definitely be doing more Team Magic events. First class.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:08 | 400 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Average
Suit: Profile Design Tri Suit
Course: Rectangular. One of the buoys floated away because of the wind, so I think the course was a little shorter than the advertised 400 yds.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:13
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:38 | 13 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Sort of an out and back x 2. Out of T1, down a HUGE hill, turn right and go for five miles, turn around, past the hill to transition for another mile, turn around, back to transition. Hilly and wet
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:51 | 03 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Course: Out and back with three decent hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 5:58 PM

User image

Prattville
Subject: Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon

2009-06-16 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2216741

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon

Well done! And pretty soon you'll be passing the older women on mountain bikes going downhill!

If you would rather not wear your number during the ride, just grab your number belt and run out of transition while putting it on on the run. It will save a few seconds.

As for drinking water and running...I can't do it. So, I always walk a few steps to get it down. It's not likely to slow you down...at least on the longer runs. If the run is as short as a 5k, I usually skip the water stations unless I didn't get any while on the bike.

I've done a couple of Team Magic races...they're great. My next one is a Team Magic race, too...the Chattanooga Waterfront triathlon.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon Rss Feed