General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 148/197
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

After a few hours of tossing and turning, woke up from a DEAD sleep. Made my Peanut Butter Bagel and mixed my HEED and Accelerade. Drove to The Osthoff Resort and parked close to the race. Sweet!
Event warmup:

I had 16 other racers from work, so I spent most of the time making sure they had what they needed.
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was pretty close to my time last year. Again, used my technique of barely swimming to keep my HR down and find my groove. It worked, went a good stretch without needing to stop, but when i looked at where i was going, I was waaaaay off course and swimming extra yardage. Got my act together and was in a good group and as I was passed by my swim coach. The dud is fast. I went well around the turnaround and then ran into some more traffic. There were two dudes who kinda boxed me in and I could not get around him. Wasn't necessarily fast than they were, but I couldn't find "my" space.
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation. Swim more. :)
Transition 1
  • 04m 53s
Comments:

Probably the longest run into TI in history. Just too long and cumbersome. HR was high and I cramped in my left calf which cramped anytime I bent down to take off the wetsuit. Finally yanked it off and headed toward BIKE OUT, which was close to my transition area.

Not much, get the wetsuit off a little faster.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 27s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

A little bit faster than last year, so I guess that is something to hang my hat on. Nothing really worth noting, I still need to loose the extra poundage to get faster. Hills were typical performance, but I did have one racer comment that he couldn't stay with me on the flats, so that made me feel good.

Ride more, eat less.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Probably my best transition ever. 45/197. Coming in, hopped off the bike and felt good right off the bat. Passed a fellow Clyde right at the end. Racked the bike and slipped the shooes on and I was off. Wife was cheering for me and had to run through the long transition area. Took a big glass of Gatorade right at the end.

Can't say much. Felt pretty good.
Run
  • 1h 08m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my gosh where do I start? Remember that big glass of Gatorade? I got it coming the other way. So I am running out of transition and all of the employees who did the Sprint were right out at the end and they were all screaming. So what do I do? Start running faster than my body can allow. I ran about 1/4 mile and I had a very bad feeling...

Here comes the Gatorade! Yep, my first up chuck in a race. From that point on, I was pretty much toast. Elkhart's run course never gives you a chance to find your groove. There is so much up and down that I had a real tough time. Throughout the course, i had two other dry heeves and just didn't keep anything down. Walked the uphills and just plain stuggled.

Was disappointed that I didn't improve on this, i really felt I had done better withthe running, but the proof is in the race.

Run More, Run more, Run more, then do some more running.
Post race
Warm down:

Sulked around for a little bit. Stretched and ate a brat, which was a bad decision, but kept it down. Hung out at the Company tent and told stories and watched the others come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of time for training, too many snooze bars, to much food in my face and the thought of being better than I am.

When I looked at last year's race, I just felt better. Overall, however, I was about the same on the swim thansition was a lot longer than last year, I improved on the bike, improved on T2 and it was all on the run. The run, the run, the run!

If I read this next year, DO NOT DRINK THE GATORADE. WATER AFTER THE BIKE ONLY!

Event comments:

Jeff Grady does a really nice job with this race. Tough course, great post event activities and really, organized. Just have to work on the Transition set-up.

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 73/197
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU
Course: Out and back with a few angles from buoy to buoy.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:27 | 27.96 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 131/197
Performance: Average
172 Avr 187 Max
Wind: Little
Course: Hills, Hills and some more hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:20 | 06.21 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 176/197
Performance: Below average
170 Avr. 195 Max
Course: Modified loop.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 8:26 PM

User image

Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-06-14 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2217013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance

dude, nice race except for the Gatorade -- didn't you know you weren't supposed to drink that stuff?? Just ask mutri - I think I still have a pic of him losing his gatorade at Elkhart as well....

2009-06-15 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Nice race my fellow donk!!!  (prolly sip stuff instead of gulp and slam........just a hint..........)

2009-06-18 6:24 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven

Great Job - DTFU on the Run.  and yes - don't drink the Gatorade!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed