Lin-Mark Computer Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 13s
Overall Rank = 111/131
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed a bowl of oatmeal, loaded up the car and drove to the race site. Got transition set up and talked with some competitors.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 08m 46s
  • 704 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before the swim, I debated whether or not I should wear my wetsuit. I ended up wearing it, but wasn't completely sold on it. I probably picked up a little time but lost any advantage when I took the suit off.

When I dove to start swimming, I got water in my goggles that I had to take care of. I started on the inside, which meant that I got caught with all of the slower swimmers. I swam over a couple of people, but after the first buoy, I went very wide and was able to get around the crowd.
What would you do differently?:

Position myself better and swim a little more frequently to get my speed back up a little more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I had some difficulty getting my wetsuit off, but I managed to improve my transition time over the last time I did this race. The transition area is on a beach which makes it difficult when you're wet.

Get to the race earlier so I could get a spot on the cement.
Bike
  • 59m 22s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.17 mile/hr
Comments:

This is not right. The course was not marked well in terms of the first turn. At the pre-race meeting, the race director said not to take the first turn and we were supposed to take the second right. I was following a group and I guess I ended up missing the turn (which was the first right). Someone said that we had missed it, so I decided to turn around and follow him. There were three of us that turned around. I had no idea if I was on the right course or not because I didn't see very many people. The last time I did this race, I was either passing or being passed and was never by myself at any point.

It turns out that we made it on the course and I ended up riding an extra 3.1 or so miles. I lost part of my bike computer when it was at mile 16 so I don't have any speed or distance past that time. I was baffled when I got back to transition and people were finished already and most of the bikes were already back. It didn't makes sense, but in talking to people afterward, it sounded like few people rode the right course and just did their own thing. I doubt that the everyone in front of me rode 16 miles before heading back into transition, especially given my 18 mph pace and that I was out of the water in the front half.

There was nothing I could have done differently, but the RD could have had someone standing at the first turn or a sign marking it rather than a faint yellow arrow. (It is only .2 miles from transition, surely someone could have been there for the lead cyclists. If they took the right course than everyone else would have followed.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Decent transition, just need to make sure I get my shoes tied tight enough.

Tie shoes better.
Run
  • 32m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course wasn't marked that well either. I briefly went of course once. I felt great coming off of the bike, but I was having some allergy issues running in the woods. All in all, it was an okay run and I was glad to be done.

Run a little faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor markings on the bike course causing me to ride an extra 3 miles.

Event comments:

Lin-Mark usually puts on a great race, but this one looked like they threw it together. This was a great race the last time I did it, but they really missed the mark this time around. I would consider doing it again because it was a good race in the past, but it is frustrating when you know that your place is significantly lower than it should have been.

Last updated: 2009-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:46 | 704 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 52/131
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Circle around lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:22 | 16 miles | 16.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 105/131
Wind: Little
Course: No one knew....
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:26 | 03.11 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 111/131
Course: Run around the lake on a trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Subject: Thundergust Triathlon

2009-06-15 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2217025

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
Subject: RE: Thundergust Triathlon
Good job with those bike issues. 

I was reading the results yesterday and was puzzled when I saw 18 people disq. from the race.  Well your report explains the reason.  Like you said very unsual for a Lin-Mark event.
2009-06-15 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Subject: that's a real shame
I have done this one in the past and really enjoyed it. sorry for your troubles on the bike and run
2009-06-15 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey
Was waiting to see if you would post a report. I had the same issues you had. A number of people went past the first turn on the bike (it was about 20+ of us) and I also missed a turn on the run trail as well.
2009-06-15 8:05 PM

I know what you mean about the course not being marked too well. I have never had a problem on the bike, but have run off course in the past. You can't go too far off in the park, but there was still a crowd of us, probably went a couple hundred yards extra though that year. You have got to admit though, running the packed sand trails in the shade is a real treat.

sR 
2009-06-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2219337

User image

Regular
Philadelphia

How much extra did you end up riding?  I'm curious to know how many people missed the first turn.  If everyone else in my age group rode the correct course (which there is no guarantee), I would have had the fastest bike split.  I struggle on the run so I have to make up time on the swim and bike so I don't lose too much time on the run.  Regardless, it was a good tune up for the Philly Tri in two weeks.

2009-06-15 8:40 PM

Veteran
Wyndmoor, PA
I was there doing a relay for my buddy who is a first timer. The lack of direction on the bike course was a disgrace. My wife got a DQ as well as a large group that like her missed a turn and ended back at transition after only 7 miles. With dozens of triathlons under her belt, she has never been DQd, and never missed a turn! As far as we could tell, this was not Lin-mark's fault. it was the race organizer who was callous in his remarks afterwords. I stood at the dismount line afor about an hour waiting for my buddy to get in off the bike. While standing there, I could hear the bikers reports. Many confused people out there. Many did 20+ miles on a course that was 16??? My buddy did 23 on a mountain bike! What a joke!
2009-06-16 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2219904

User image

Regular
NYC/South Jersey
Lt_Dallas - 2009-06-15 9:30 PM

How much extra did you end up riding?  I'm curious to know how many people missed the first turn.  If everyone else in my age group rode the correct course (which there is no guarantee), I would have had the fastest bike split.  I struggle on the run so I have to make up time on the swim and bike so I don't lose too much time on the run.  Regardless, it was a good tune up for the Philly Tri in two weeks.

My bike computer was not working but one person in my pack of 20+ who missed the turn mentioned that we did approx 21-25 miles instead of 16. I dont consider the race results to be fair as many people missed the turn on the bike.
2009-06-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2220460

Lt (and other Thundergust folks) - Does anyone think that the official swim times are accurate?  (Like you, I had a lot of trouble at the start of the swim- took an inside line and got caught up with slower swimmers... didn't really start swimming until half-way through.)  And like you, my time was 8+ minutes, with a pace of 1min and change per 100yds.  This doesn't seem possible. In the pool, I do about a 37-38 second 50(meter)-  going at about 90%.  The math here just doesn't add up.  So, I'm curious... does your time seem about right to you?  Or do you think the times are inaccurate?
2009-06-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2220551

User image

Regular
Philadelphia

phillynewbie - 2009-06-16 9:00 AM Lt (and other Thundergust folks) - Does anyone think that the official swim times are accurate?  (Like you, I had a lot of trouble at the start of the swim- took an inside line and got caught up with slower swimmers... didn't really start swimming until half-way through.)  And like you, my time was 8+ minutes, with a pace of 1min and change per 100yds.  This doesn't seem possible. In the pool, I do about a 37-38 second 50(meter)-  going at about 90%.  The math here just doesn't add up.  So, I'm curious... does your time seem about right to you?  Or do you think the times are inaccurate?

My pace for 50 yards is about the same as yours.  I did this swim at a very comfortable pace (probably a little too comfortable for a race).  My guess is that the timing is accurate, but the distance is shorter than advertised.  I didn't pay much attention to it this time because I was more focused on the bike issues.  That was my thought the first time I did this race and saw how fast my splits were compared to my times in the pool.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thundergust Triathlon Rss Feed