United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 46s
Overall Rank = 1/426
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 1/37
Pre-race routine:

up at 5:30am. a couple gu shots and a lot of water. successful trip to the bathroom. packed my bag and pumped my tires and rode off to the race site
Event warmup:

ride to BCC. run the run course with some pickups. swam ~300yds with the last few 50s hard
awesome day today considering the weather we've been seeing the last few weeks - who knows what today could have been like! sunny and warmed up nicely. the winds held off for most of the morning
Swim
  • 04m 12s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started 2nd behind Al. I was going to go first with a projected time of ~4:05 or 4:10, but Al said he'd do 4:00 and opted for first. I jumped out right after him and it took ~75yds to get settled into a rythm. The start was rough and a lot of commotion. I missed flip turning a few times because we were bunched pretty tight. Al fell off pace ~150 but I didn't see the benefits of passing him so I just stuck on his feet and "coasted."
What would you do differently?:

Start 1st. I could have gone ~4:05 and been fine without the draft, but I was OK with the results.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Good transition. Very fast. passed a lot of peeps on the way to the rack. Jason was right with me. Didn't see Ryan. Got to my bike quickly and got the helmet on and strapped and ran to the mount. Didn't get my time, so this was a guess. Did 1:37 last year and I know this trans was a lot faster and smoother. Very efficient and not much room for improvement
Bike
  • 30m
  • 11 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

got a good jump on the bike coming out of transition and got up to speed quickly - chasing the two down in from of me who were on road bikes and got some good acceleration. got into the shoes nicely, but could have been faster. Really started pushing the pace right away and passed 3 riders in the 1st mile and a 4th at the top of the hill. after this pass I was in the lead, but wasn't sure of this until I got into T2.
hr was very high at 180+ and I was hurting pretty good. pushed the first hill and continued to push very hard on the downhill and kept a good pace up Midway despite the moderate rise. 23mph ave finishing the first lap and I was hurting. I kept waiting for Jason or Ryan to pass but they never did. I didn't know how much of a gap I had on them until 1/2 through the run. I never looked back on the bike - just kept riding scared. I purposely dialed the effort back just a bit on the second lap because I didn't feel I'd be able to stand getting off the bike, let alone run. I ended up at about and even split; I settledinto a slightly lower hr on the 2nd lap, and that felt better.
I hit the corners much more aggressively than last year and focused on keeping up to pace. It felt motivating being in the lead (even though I never did know for sure). I passed a few riders from later heats on the 2nd lap and moving past peeps helped too.

Not much. If anything dial back the effort a bit if I know where my lead was.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

good transition. again, don't know the time as I left my garmin on the bike and didn't take it with me on the run. I did 30s last year and know I was no slower. this was a very good transition: efficient and smooth.
I was the first to rack so this was the first time I could confirm I was leading. this made me more anxious than anything

nothing
Run
  • 11m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't even get out of transition and I was feeling TERRIBLE! I did manage to settle into a pace (probably low 6s), but it felt hard and I was hoping I wouldn't get caught because I wasn't sure I'd respond. At ~ the halfway point we turned and I could see down the run course behind me and saw Jason, T, and Ryan (although I didn't know it was him). This was about the distance I was behind Ryan last year so I knew it was ~40sec and this gave me some life and helped me settle down a bit. I know I had this if I could keep my pace. I got to the downhill and really couldn't take advantage. At the flat ~1/2mi from the finish I tried to 'view' the finish line and pick it up a bit but I felt slow and on the verge of hyperventalating. My breathing was poor. I don't think I ever did manage to improve my pace any but did see Jason a bit closer on the last turn, but knew he was too far back to be a threat. Again, this helped. I just focused on running strong to the chute. nothing spectacular. I wanted to do a bit more, but just didn't have it. I was hoping this would be enough to fight off anyone in later heats

this was a poor run for me. I probably rode too hard on the bike, but I do feel the tactics played out as I can comfortably say I did "win this on the bike" today. I had a very good gap from the field going into t2 and in the end I don't think Jason (2nd place) put much, if anything, in me on the run
Post race
Warm down:

fuel. social hour. too Owen and Riley to the jumping castles they drank my gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not the best distribution of effort and I very much could have gone low 47s today, but the tactics played out in the end, even though I didn't know it at the time. this is a mini sprint, so its full-tilt the whole way

Event comments:

I love this race. I was ready and anxious going into it. My goal was to take another minute off my time this year and get to 48, and hope that was the fastest for the day. Surprisingly it was. As much and I've often visualized how nice it would be to lead a race (and this race) and be first across the line, I was just hurting too much to enjoy it. I guess that's the way its always going to be.
very satisifed with the day. I could have had better training going into this, but I managed my race goal and got the W!

Last updated: 2009-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:12 | 300 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 0/426
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Heat 1, Lane 5 with Al, Jason, Ryan, and ??? (some nervous kid)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:00 | 11 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
garmin says ~11.5mi and 23mph ave. 179 ave hr I wanted to do ~22.6mph (30m 30s)
Wind: Little
Course: two loops. one good hill on each loop. ~500ft of total el change
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:30 | 02 miles | 05m 45s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
not sure about the time. I left the garmin on the bike. I didn't want the distraction. No chips on this race so this is an estimate as my transitions are estimates too (largely based on last year's times)
Course: 1 lap run course with a few hills. it is a bit short of 2mi
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 10:34 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: Mini Ha Ha Triathlon

2009-06-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2217296

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Mini Ha Ha Triathlon

Great race!  Smoking fast times all-around.  Sounds like you are a little disapointed with your run.  Don't be too hard on yourself...I'd kill do get under 6MM!  Nice job!

2009-06-15 5:03 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Jason,

Awesome race!  Congratulations on the great work and getting the win!  Great in race decision to pull the effort back a little for the second lap of the bike to setup the run.  Although you seem a little disappointed with the run, the key was just to hang on after a hard ride and it played out perfectly!

All that and a great swim too!

Congratulations again,

Shane 
2009-06-17 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Awesome! I'm glad it was you... You put together a complete race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mini Ha Ha Triathlon Rss Feed