General Discussion Race Reports! » Spin off Spadina Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spin off Spadina Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada
Saskatoon Triathlon Club Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 49s
Overall Rank = 32/74
Age Group = Women 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Weather:
timeConditionstempWind
10:00Mostly Cloudy19S 15
11:00Mostly Cloudy22SSW 24
12:00Cloudy25S 18

Got up around 6:00, ate some yogurt and oatmeal, packed my gear. Saw a little light rain was coming down.

Left for Pike Lake around 7:15. Took the Valley Road route and got hit by an intense down burst of rain. In 2007, this race was a literal washout - a record rainfall that day didn't stop us from starting the race, but lightning part way through did. The rain brought that memory to mind.

Got to Pike Lake, and the parking lot was dry. Good - local showers. Signed in and got numbered. Watched the dark clouds. Set up my bike in transition. Crap - lightning and thunder! The race organizers decided to delay the race start for about half an hour. I continued to get my transition set up.
Event warmup:

When the organizers decided to go with the race, I took my bike out for a quick spin (20 min, 10km). Included 3 one-minute intervals with some intensity to remind my lazy legs that they'd have to do some work.

Back to transition, only to find someone stole my spot, so moved to the next rack and set up again. Put on the wetsuit and wandered down to the beach. Watched the youth come in. Watched the standard distance group get started. After the first guy finished his first lap, started to inch into the water. Refreshing, but not too cold. Finally got my face in the water and splashed around a bit.
Swim
  • 14m 15s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Due to numbers, the organizers decided to have the sprint start about 30' after the standard, with the idea that most of them would be out of the water by the time we got started. Unfortunately, our start time coincided with many folks coming in, so the organizers had us move up a bit to get out of their path. As a result, I wasn't really "in position" when they got us started. So the first little bit was working my way through the group to find the inside path to the buoys. I was pretty much on-course for the first half, but I had no one to draft off of.

After the second turn to go back to the beach, I did find I had a harder time staying on course. There was only the one buoy to aim for (instead of the three we had to get us to the first turn). I did find some people to swim close to, but I didn't really get a good draft off them.
What would you do differently?:

I was pretty happy with the swim in general. I could have done better sighting for the way back.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting my suit off my feet. Then had a hard time getting clipped in on the bike. Oops: forgot to put on my race belt.

Practice getting out of the wetsuit. Practice getting into my pedals. Remember my race belt (put it on the bike or wear it under the wetsuit like I've done in previous years).
Bike
  • 35m 50s
  • 20 kms
  • 33.49 km/hr
Comments:

With the wind at my back, the ride out was sweet. I hit 48 km/h at one point.

After the turn around, I was going into the wind, and for some reason, I found the ride really tough. It took me about 4-5 km to get my groove. It was at about that time that I remembered my coach's advice: I had to remind myself not to "fight" but to "accept" the challenge.

I passed several folks, but I didn't have any pass me - always a goal!

Focus like a warrior.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Did a pretty good transition, then realized I forgot to grab my race number again. So back to my spot, dig around for the number, and off.

Remember the race number in T1! :)
Run
  • 28m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 47s  min/km
Comments:

The few bricks I did since Icebreaker made a big difference. I felt stronger and hit my stride sooner. I kept pretty good pace (for me) throughout the run. The run is the area where I can make the most improvement. Today was a slight improvement from Icebreaker, but it makes me feel like the work I've been doing lately is starting to pay off.

Just keep at it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Put my bike and gear back in the car. Had a shower. Wandered around some more. Helped put away some of the bike racks, signs, and pylons.

Forgot to walk into the lake to cool off the legs post race. Should have done a little more stretching, and should have packed better post-race snacks. But it was all good.

Went to the post-race lunch, picked up my 3rd place in my age category medal. Went home.

Event comments:

Another great race. Brian did a great job organizing the event. I know it was tough to get volunteers, but folks came through in the end - thanks! A great day (after Mother Nature decided to cooperate).

Last updated: 2009-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:15 | 750 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 37/74
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca wetsuit
Course: One lap of the Pike Lake triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:50 | 20 kms | 33.49 km/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 20/74
Out 10km: 0:15:36 HR: 158/161 Speed: 38.0/48.5 In 10km: 0:20:14 HR: 156/159 Speed: 29.5/45.9
Wind: Some
Course: Out of the park, up highway 60 to the church, then back.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:54 | 05 kms | 05m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 58/74
Out 2.5km: 0:14:52 HR: 155/157 Pace: 5:57 In 10km: 0:14:02 HR: 157/159 Pace: 5:43
Course: 2.5km out across grass by the pool to the road leading out to the cottages, and back.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-06-14 11:40 PM

User image

Subject: Spin off Spadina Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Full race results available here:
http://www.triathlonsaskatoon.org/Spin2009/

Edited by amg 2009-06-14 11:41 PM

2009-06-15 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2217368

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Subject: RE: Spin off Spadina Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Way to go on placing, great race!!! So glad you enjoyed it all too [and no rain! :]

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spin off Spadina Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed