General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 40s
Overall Rank = 88/567
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/90
Pre-race routine:

Ate a muffin and drank some water before we left the hotel. We got our stuff together and headed over to the race at about 6:15. On a side note the place we stayed was great. The Montauk Manor.
Event warmup:

No warm up today. I just walked around and made sure I knew where all the in and outs were in transition.
Swim
  • 29m 16s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim wasn't too bad for me. I started off nice and easy and just got a good rhythm going. The buoys were on my right which is usually a problem for me because I breathe left but I sighted fine. Coming back in the last half I think I picked up the pace a little but never really pushed at all. I didn't feel tired at all when I got out which was good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I guess I could of pushed it harder but I'd rather feel fresh going into the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

This time includes the run from beach. I would guess it's around 100 yards up to transition. I fumbled around a little with getting my wetsuit off a usual. My transition spot wasn't great. I had a long way to run for the bike out.

Get there earlier for a better Transition spot.
Bike
  • 54m 39s
  • 20 miles
  • 21.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a decent ride for me and I was in the top 50. I never pushed too hard and I spun easy up the hills. There was this guy that I was playing cat and mouse with for a long time and finally dropped him the last few miles. I'm not sure but I swear he kept grabbing my wheel when I passed him.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

This was a good transition. Anytime I'm under a minute that's good.

Nothing
Run
  • 49m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good the first 1-2 miles. I got into a good rhythm and just cruised along and then came the hills. It may have been because of the 1/2 marathon last Sunday but I had nothing in my legs today on the hills. This was a very average run for me. Tyra met up with me for the last mile of the run which helped. The last 1/2 mile was a nice flat stretch into the finish.

Nothing really. I may have had a better run without the 1/2 Mary the week before but other than that I did my best.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some gatorade and water. Ate a banana and some oranges and just hung out for a little while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a slow swimmer...enough said.

Event comments:

This race was well organized and fun. With the exception of them not realizing that they have the distances incorrect it's a great race. You would think that since they run this every year they would know the bike course is not 22 miles. Strange.

Last updated: 2009-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:16 | 1650 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/90
Overall: 237/567
Performance: Good
They say this is a full mile at 1750 yds, but it can't be. I changed the distance to 1650 (1500 meters) which is more accurate.
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: This was an out and back swim. The buoys were lined up in a row and we swam out rounded the last buoy and came straight back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:39 | 20 miles | 21.96 mile/hr
Overall: 45/567
Wind: Some
Course: They say this is 22 miles but it isn't. Everyone clocked this at 20 miles. The course is mostly rolling hills. There a few decent sized hills but not too bad. There are some nice flat sections too where you can make up some time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:03 | 06.2 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 108/567
Course: Very hilly. The first 1-2 miles are mostly flat but then the next 4 miles are mostly hills. There are 2 sections that take you down a big hill and then you turn around and have to run back up. These 2 sections are tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Subject: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon

2009-06-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2217577

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon
Great job, Kenny! Where did that swim come from? That was sweet! Keep it up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RJ Aaron Memorial (Mighty Montauk) Triathlon Rss Feed