Set-Up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 12s
Overall Rank = 130/194
Age Group = Novice male
Age Group Rank = 93/132
Pre-race routine:

Not much of a routine for me, I was a loner this race, my wife whom usually accompanies me was not able to make this one since she had plans with the girls for a bachlorette party the night before...so I had no one to mingle with to get the pre-race jitters off my back. So..I got up at 4:20..woofed down some banana, peanut butter and 1/2 piece of toast and grabbed one on Monster coffee drinks, loaded up the gear in the 4runner and headed to the event site. Got there round 5:30..line of cars waiting to park...finally got a spot...unloaded, and made my way to the race start.
Event warmup:

Upacked all my gear in the transistion area, double checked everything, went to pick up my timing chip, the lady would not give me one since I did not have my race bib on at the time...back to the tranny area to retrieve that...got my chip, body marking..then once last stop in he tranny area, porto potta, then headed down to the swim start. Lot's of folks in the water getting warmed up, chatter, swimming, stretching..ya know...then they called for the 1st wave to enter the corral and get ready for the start....here we go I said...and I made my way over, swim cap on..goggles...and stood in my spot in the water for the swim...waiting...tick tock tick tock..3 min's...Gosh...that was a long 3 min's..finally...10 secs!!...then I herd the airhorn and I dove in for swim.
Swim
  • 20m 46s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim started out good for me...I was in a good position from the start but hit traffic about 50 yards out...I did not think this would happen...I was a slower swimmer!! Well..I was in the thick of it there early one..finally got thru the traffic and I was feeling pretty good then I went to catch some air and I got a mouthful of water!!! NOOOO!!..I got choked up since I was trying to get air and I got all water ...finally got the water out..but my throat was still seizin up like I was chokin..I could not get any air to my lungs and I was getting a lil concerned, I was already over on my back...but gasping!! this was not good...finally I got a breath in and calmed down.....one of the volunteers on the lake herd me gasping and he yelled at the volunteer closest to me " we got one over here"....I was like NO NO ..I am ok...the guy paddles up and ask me if I was good..I was by then..I had my breath back and was trying to regroup and focus on the swim....needless to say that cost me some time and also dented my confidence level...now I just wanted to survive this swim...makin a better time then last year was not even possible I thought..so..I swam...and swam...this year I did a lil better but I could have done alot better had that incident not thru me for a loop....at this point I was swimming the best I could..I did not care about form anymore...or how I swam..I just swam for survival at this point. I tried getting back into freestyle a few times but I was so exhausted..my arms were like on fire...I did manage to get some decent strokes in ..but all I wanted to do was get the the shoreline...I was over this part of the race by now....thank God I was there soon...and I dragged my sorry a$$ out of the water and headed for T1..
What would you do differently?:

try and keep clear of the pack...make sure I do not suck in water, and keep my cool!
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

My T1 was ok, I forgot the powder in my socks again!!! so that was a lil bit of a pain...but other then that..I did ok I guess

Remember to put powder in my socks!!!..Argh!!...
Bike
  • 56m 40s
  • 17 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I could have rode better....nuff said. I did not prepare myself for this race like I should have ...and it showed. I was out on the road alone alot this year...I pulled out pretty early in the race...and found a good pace ...then about halfway thru it...I started to notice my lack of endurance and training biting me...dammit...I was getting passed on parts of the road where I was used to passing others...Oh well..at least I got the dismount right this year..last year I hopped on one leg for about 30 sec's tryin to get my right foot unclipped!!..this year I was unclipped before I stopped...sweet!

Train ....duh!
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

T2 was ok - I was lil tired and had to swallow some shot blocks..honestly..I should have taken them on the ride....but I did what I could..swallowed some G2 ..shoes...race bib...etc...and my legs were feelin heavy this time..I spun out on the last mile like I should have but again...my lack of training was kickin my butt now...and I still gotta run 3.1 now!! LOL...so...off I went.

Nothing...I at least I knew where my bike rack was this year ..last year I was a big goober and forgot where it was ...LOL
Run
  • 29m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough...I was tired...cramping on the last 1/2 mile....and I was ready for this to be over....I have run this course before ..the whole time...I could not do it today....but I made it....so...that's what counts.

Prepare better with more hill work in my running...that killed me today.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line...no one there to greet me..so..I was kinda bummed..I grabbed a Poweraide..and walked over to the parkin lot where there was some shade and no crowd and stretched out. After that..went over to my transistion area...put on my flip flops and shorts and walked over to get a beer....my only salvation!! I also got a call from my buddy Luis who passed me on the bike course as he was drivin by...he wanted to grab breakfast so I told him sure..after I got packed up and outta here.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...thats it...I know I was gonna suffer a lil bit from the bike...but the other 2 events I thought would have been better...just was not my day out there today. I know what killed me...will not get that slack on traing prior to a race again!!!

Event comments:

I had a better race here last year....this year should have been better...next year I will kill this course!!!

Last updated: 2009-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:46 | 820 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/132
Overall: 0/194
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Out n back course...
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:40 | 17 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This course I have ridden before, but I was suckin on it today. Last year I crushed it...this year ..it crushed me. I did ok...but had I been training better...I would have done much better.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:31 | 03.11 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Course: They changed the run course this year..no pavement..all trail..and it was tough IMHO..lot's of hills..terrain was a factor as well since they had rain the other day...so..washout..mudd...and so forth was common on this run...this was a tough one for me..last year I ran the whole damn thing..this year I was forced to run/walk after the 1st mile...seriously...I run 3.2 now in under 30 min's on average.. I guess I should have expected this..considering how the rest of the race went...so...I just sucked it up and did what I had too...I at least crossed the finish line with a smile....thank God this one was over!! This run kicked my ass and I am not used to that...trail running that is...with hills...and gravel...this accounted for my slower time ...along with my legs feelin like bricks & crampin on the last 1/2 mile...darn it...I was hoping to bring it home on the run this year..since my runnin has improved...but not this day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Tri Latta (Sunday)

2009-06-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2217778

Subject: RE: Tri Latta (Sunday)
Good job.  Way to fight through and finish strong. 

I agree it does stink to have no one there to celebrate with you at the finish.  My wife and kids were at home getting ready for church. 

Next year you will tear it up. 
2009-06-16 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2217778

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tri Latta (Sunday)
Sorry this was a hard one for ya.  Looks like you did well, considering everything.....Some days are diamonds, some are stones.
Totally understand being bummed about noone there to see you finish.  Most of my races end that way.
I think you did a great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta (Sunday) Rss Feed