General Casualty
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 38s
Overall Rank = 108/273
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with our Madison Peeps Saturday night. Made some chicken pasta dish that was deliciouso, couple of Mikes (more Carbs) a movie and bed by 11:30. Up by 4:30 and out the door by 5. Noshed on a blueberry oatmeal bar and Brisk Lemon Ice Tea during the quick trip to the park.
Event warmup:

Walked around looking for the Donks. Met a couple new boyz (Dan, Greg, Skavoo)found Michele and her SIL and walked to the beach. Sun was coming up HOT so just kept the wetsuit around my waist. GU about 15' before I hit the water. Well, at least that was my plan until the announcer said there weren't enough boats for support so they had to push the start off about 15'.
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

So extemely happy with this swim. I was actually passing people this year. Sort of unheard of for me. Listened to my coach and swam as much as possible. Unfortunately I had to walk about the last 50 cuz so many others were. Looked at my watch when I hit the beach and saw that I was under 8'. EEEAAAWSOME time for me:) LOVE LOVE LOVE my wetsuit. To bad the timing mat was wwaaaaayyyyy up by T1. Makes my time look slower than it really was.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe kick a little more. Probably would propel me a bit faster, eh? So easy to just pull myself along in my lovely wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I need to remember a couple of things in transition. I always try to pull the wetsuit off while standing and then end up sitting. Should just sit my arse down right away instead of wasting time. Also need to remember to unbuckle/velcro my shoes while I set up transition. Rookie mistake and cost my some time. This years time is a full minute faster than last year, thank goodness, and it was farther away from the swim.

Work on said mistakes above.
Bike
  • 35m 48s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah the bike. Looked at my average speed from last year (14.88mph) and decided there was no way I could do worse and HAD to do better. Glad to say I did much better. I was so worried about this portion with my lack of riding lately. Pleasantly surprised myself by keeping it in the BCR most of the ride...except for those blasted steep hills. I have had problems switching from SCR to BCR over the past couple of weeks and need to have my derailer looked at. Prayed every time I switched that it wouldn't drop. Thank you Lord for listening. Very successful ride. I again listened to my coach and took advantage of the downhills. I even let myself get up to 32 mph, which is scarey to me. Paid off though. Was bummed that the turn around point was just over 5 miles. Not sure why they cut our course short, but you gotta follow it.

Get over my fear of speed on the downhills. Work on my strength for the climbs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I always make sure I put my racebelt on before I jump on the bike, so that was done. Need to remember to put my visor on while running out of transition, not while I am standing there.

Not sure I can speed this up any more.
Run
  • 28m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Although my time seems slow, it always seems to be the case for such a terrain. Bettered my pace by half a minute from last year. Woo hoo. Just kept moving. My left shoe was too tight and my foot seemed to be asleep. Other than that, I just kept climbing those hills, picking people off one by one. Felt a bit tired about mile 1, walked thru the water station, told myself to DTFU cuz this is a walk in the park compared to my marathon. Little pep talk helped me keep going up and down those trail hills. Got to the meadow and felt the full assault of the sun. It was probably only about 75 degrees, but it sure felt like 90 with no wind to speak of. We were blessed with mile markers this year, so I knew when I was able to kick it in. Felt great, but tired, crossing the finish line. Even heard my name...prounounced correctly might I add.

Work more hills into my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the tent to get some water. No Water there. WTH? I knew the Gator would bite me so waited it out. They fortunatley had some ice though. Found my Madison Peeps and waited for Clint and other donks to come running by. Had myself a little strawberry ice cream to help cool down. YUM. Watched as Clint, Wavedog, Runs W/Jasper, GRB1, all cross the finish line. Waited for Michele to come cruising by. Joined her for her last 1+miles. Was nice to chat with her and run her in to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Happy with the performance after lack of training.

Event comments:

I love this race. Was bummed that the bike was short and there was no water at the end. Free beer, pizza and ice cream at the finish is always a plus. Will do the SPRINT again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 437 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/273
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen
Course: Clockwise, very shallow to first buoy. Was able to swim most of it this year though. Lake was nice and warm with nary a wave to speak of.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:48 | 10.2 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on some pretty hilly country roads. Road conditions were okay but a bit bumpy from a layer of pea gravel.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:13 | 03.1 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Course: Up and down, over and thru the woods to the blazing hot meadow we go. Love the trail run. Love it love it love.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Capitol View Triathlon

2009-06-15 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2218374

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Capitol View Triathlon
Happy to be the first to congratulate you on a GREAT RACE!!! (at least the first on here). You said the bike was a "foreign object" two weeks ago. Looks pretty darn good to me! Glad you had so much fun!
2009-06-15 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Improvements in every discipline...that's great! Glad the weather cooperated. The Nation had a good racing weekend.
2009-06-15 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome job Terri!!

2009-06-15 6:51 PM

User image

Elite
Denver

You go girl! (Can I say that?) Awesome race, and great to hang out with you and your worser half after!

2009-06-15 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

Great job Terri!  Sounds like you improved alot over last year - and that swim time was awesome!! 

2009-06-15 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran

Great race! Way to have some huge improvements.  It was great to see you again! Next stop, SOR!

2009-06-16 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2220142

User image

Master
Madison, WI

Excellent work on that race. Eeeeaaawwsome!

2009-06-17 5:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Well done Terri! (great swimmin!)

Our mentor group did well at Capital!

and I love the Team Donk tops Laughing
2009-06-18 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
stellar job terri...  you kicked butt on each part of it...!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capitol View Triathlon Rss Feed